peugeot 103 update & question

youssef boughroum /

Hi Guys. i finally put everything together, and broken in. i attached a picture of all the performance parts below. top speed 30-32 mph. I was hoping to get somewhere around 45 mph, just somewhere where I'm not blocking traffic. any Idea guys what i should do to reach my desired speed?

peugeot.png

Re: peugeot 103 update & question

Yeah man! that pipe is super restrictive from what I've heard. either find restrictions and cut em out or you could even put something like the derestricted stock sausage muffler on. once ya do that make sure its timed and jetted properly and you should be rippin pretty hard for the setup you got.

I was rippin 38 - 40 on my stock cylinder, derestriced stock exhaust, a 15.15 sha, and good reeds. I havent messed with the 70cc cylinders to know much bout there characteristics, but I wouldnt be suprised if you were at 45mph. you should definitely be able to get 40 easy tho...

youssef boughroum /

Thank you Caleb. i will definitely check my exhaust to see if i can see the restriction and remove it, just in case i cant modified it, any idea whats the best exhaust in treatland for max performance?

Ok so the "the best exhaust in treatland for max performance" is a really hard description to fill. really, you will see power gains with most Peugeot expansion chamber exhausts. that said, cost, ease of installation, and your goals become determining factors.

Right now I'm running the simonini circuit pipe on my pug setup and I love it. this one has a pretty wide hard hitting powerband but it pretty much caps off the revs at 8,000. Allot of folks say it is more prone to breakage but I haven't experienced any of that yet myself so I have yet to see. bottom line, it bolts up nice with no modification and the pedals clear. good pipe at a good price. https://www.treatland.tv/peugeot-moped-simonini-circuit-pipe-p/peugeot-simonini-circuit-clear.htm

If ya want cheaper, then you could get this: https://www.treatland.tv/peugeot-mini-budget-circuit-exhaust-pipe-SILVER-p/peugeot-mini-budget-circuit.htm

I know this pipe works ok with stock but not sure how it would be with a 70 kit...

If ya got a bigger budget, the doppler exhaust or mvt is a tried and true high revy, high power pipe that would work very well with your setup. the doppler will likely require the removal or modification of your pedals in order to fit and is not as budget friendly as the others but it is certainly an awesome huge pipe with a huge personality. https://www.treatland.tv/peugeot-103-moped-doppler-performance-pipe-p/peugeot-doppler-pipe-103-tsm.htm

of course I have to mention the ninja g3 because everyone says its amazing. its very difficult to find in my experience though so unless ya know someone...

Dos cycles also has a lot of interesting peugeot pipes that ya might want to look at as well. https://www.doscycles.com/search?type=product&q=peugeot+exhaust

At any rate, that is just some thoughts to help get ya going. My advice would be to just look around find a pipe you like the looks and performance of and roll the dice, buy it and play around with it. Also I don't have lots of experience with hundreds of mopeds. so what I say isn't gospel... If Andy Scouten, Graham Motzing, Rebel Moby or any of those guys get on this thread, they are the ones to listen to. They have some great knowledge and will give ya good advice.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Yeah i was getting low 40s downhill (prolly 35 or less on flats) on those reeds, intake, and 15.15 with stock pipe with the baffle pulled out, and stock cylinder.

youssef boughroum /

I checked my exhaust and its not restricted, so I just went ahead and got this

https://www.treatland.tv/peugeot-103-doppler-STREETCUP-exhaust-pipe-p/peugeot-doppler-streetcup-pipe.htm

Oh yeah! Share progress and pics once you get it! looking forward to see how it goes for you! that setup gonna rip!!!

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

I just ordered that Streetcup pipe. I thoroughly expect it to break my bike 3 times a week.

Also just ordered a Streetcup and it gets here tomorrow, whats the issue with it? I had the dos ninja g2 clone with minimal issues until it self destructed.

Somewhat relevant too, eBay is great to find interesting french pipes. You never know what you could find. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Peugeot-103-Exhaust-Silencer-29mm-Thread-/124133268072 (edited)

youssef boughroum /

The new Doppler exhaust put on today

youssef boughroum /

but im still doing 30 mph even with the muffler. i dont think im getting a great compression, i can easily turn the ignition with my hand.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Have you tried putting your money directly into the gas tank?

Justin Petraitis /

Did you tune the carb after putting the pipe on? I guarantee you whatever jet the SHA came with when you bought it are not going to be the one you need for your setup, you need to buy a range of jets and tune the carb. That's probably the reason you're still only hitting 30 mph

Beach Club Nick /

Yeah your jetting has to be fucked. I hit 38 on my 103 with a stock cylinder, shitty '80s circuit pipe and a SHA 14.12

youssef boughroum /

what you recommend as far as jetting? i havnt done any jetting before ?

Yeah make sure you get that carb tuned in. SHA's are usually pretty easy since they have only one jet that you have to worry about. Start by reading about the process in the wiki:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Dellorto_SHA

and on other threads or whatever. Basically you will need to remove the main jet and insert a larger one. also, it wouldn't hurt to make sure you don't have any air leaks.

Did you take out the restriction in the ball joint and the silencer?

youssef boughroum /

i removed the restriction from the ball. not the silencer, where is it located, what size main jet should i get?

As far as jetting, I would probably try something in the eighties, maybe low nineties even... I think I had a mid to high seventy in a stock bike with a little port work exhaust and 15 sha. Jetting is bassically trial and error in a somewhat ordered fashion (to prevent seizing your engine). Start with something in the high eighties and low nineties and work your way down.

I did mine earlier today and took a few photos. You have to take your silencer apart, be careful its has fiber glass. I ripped the whole thing out but you could maybe just knock out the end bit of metal if you don't want it to be too loud.

image0.jpg
image1.jpg
image2.jpg

youssef boughroum /

does the silencer improve the performance or just the sound? i just ordered arrange of jets 80' and 90' even.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

I think 80 is going to be too big but maybe not. I tend to run low 70s on 15.15 with a kit and pipe. We shall see

Also, I would not pull the guts out of the baffle. Its not really a restriction. Maybe open the hole in the end if you really want to. Still probably not worth the noise.

youssef boughroum /

yes, i rather leave silencer alone. im just concerned about the performance. i acually spent alot of time and money on this, I hope the jetts are all i need to get this bike right.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Also, I would not pull the guts out of the baffle. Its not really a

> restriction.

Just got mine today, it is a pretty tiny hole.... I'm going to see how it is before i go cutting that little plate off.

Very nice pipe though.

youssef boughroum /

so i got the jets today, i think 72 is the right jet but im still getting 30mph on a flat road. im not sure what to check next. any recommendations?

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

It's possible that you're not actually getting on the pipe. Have you adjusted the variator weight at all? Mine is pretty sluggish until like 7-8k rpm, but it winds out so much that the fuel in the bowl starts to foam and it wants to blow itself up.

Launch lever helps hit the power

youssef boughroum /

what you mean im not getting on the pipe? yes i havnt touch the weights but i took two balls out.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account