First project

I have never worked on a moped before. I'm thinking I would like to build a daily driver nothing crazy. If I could get 40mph It be good enough. I would prefer reliability over speed. I would like to have it look like this grey bike. If you could all help me choose the parts and help me make the right decisions I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help.

images.jpeg

Re: First project

Tweaker trash /

Go buy a puch maxi with an e50

Cristian Luna /

Thats a good looking 40t! 40 mph is do able on a stock cylinder assuming you have the C cylinder but it will take some work the biggest thing is porting the cylinder theres a lot of info on it in the wiki. With all that being said since this is the first moped you're working on just try to get it running first check out freds guide also in the wiki and enjoy that for a while before diving in to it stock mobys are some of my favorite bikes

Uh oh. Frenchy= bad first bike.

And reliability is gonna be tough, other than that. good bike!

First you need to find out what speed model you have. Get it running, then a rebuild with crank seals. brake pads tires and motor mounts. next get a 15/15 dellorto Sha carb and a range of jets, the stock gurtner carb is a pain and the dellorto is good enough to get you to your target speed or more. If it's a slower model youll need to source a variator and hack the swing restrictor and spring. As well as a new cylinder or porting it yourself.

After all that you can look into making it faster. Looks like that example bike has a 70cc kit and circuit exhaust.

JOE - check with the goodly folks at Psyclomoteur Montreal for suggestions, helps, ideas and guidance from the local folks near you. Jesse, Jodie and the gang will be a most excellent resource for technical advice as well as finding parts, etc.

Ils sont sur Facebook :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/psyclomoteur.montreal/ (edited)

40v actually.

IMG_20200320_174126.jpg

It's a great first bike, don't listen to the naysayers. Moby's have a few problem areas but once you take care of them (and you leave them relatively stock) they're actually pretty reliable and you can get good speed out of a stock modified engine.

Replace the original Gurtner carburetor with a SHA and convert the ignition to 12v CDI and you'll have as reliable a ped as any.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I will go on record and say that modifying your daily rider to emulate that pictured bike is a bad idea, especially if it is your first bike.

Keep your first bike stock and running until you have the time/desire for a second bike so you can keep one. Especially seeing as it looks like your trying to ride this thing around every day.

I try to imbue to first bike shoppers that even a rebuilt bike with all new parts is still a 35+ year old machine that will have inherit faults that you will have to deal with regularly.

Ok possibly I was a little vague. I would like to fix up the motor new carb, ignition, Vario and exhaust if necessary. Leave the paint orange new suspension , black rims possibly paint them new tires 17 x 2.5 ". Replace all the cables and add headlight s taillight and turn signal. Somebody mentioned that 40mph was possible if I had a c cylinder. How do I tell if I have a c cylinder?

> Joe F Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ok possibly I was a little vague. I would like to fix up the motor new

> carb, ignition, Vario and exhaust if necessary. Leave the paint orange

> new suspension , black rims possibly paint them new tires 17 x 2.5 ".

> Replace all the cables and add headlight s taillight and turn signal.

> Somebody mentioned that 40mph was possible if I had a c cylinder. How do

> I tell if I have a c cylinder?

To see the cylinder type, you have to take the head off. I'm not sure if you can tell for sure by year and "Speed" on the VIN tag.

Check out this guy go through his 50V.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv2XsoPZGNrsWpkt5UO6dOL6BJF42m8Ps

IMG_4128.jpg

Jeremy Homser /

Sell me the stock parts you take off

Canada only got the 50km/h rated versions so this A-B-C 20-25-30 mph does not apply. It also does not have the crappy DOT approved wiring scheme, so it is less troublesome than the US versions of the bike.

To get into the 60km/h range (dependent on laden weight) you can just port the engine, replace the Gurtner with a SHA15:15 and 15mm intake, and get a good serpentine pipe.

If the laden weight is an issue then you can get a overbore kit larger carb and a long expansion chamber pipe with a ball joint fitting. Keep in mind that the noisy scooter gangs have already made heavily modded cyclomoteurs & scooters a bit of a target for the SPVM and SQ, so you might want to factor that in before going too nutz, depending on the neighbourhood tolerance to people enjoying their rides.

> Joe F Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ok possibly I was a little vague. I would like to fix up the motor new

> carb, ignition, Vario and exhaust if necessary. Leave the paint orange

> new suspension , black rims possibly paint them new tires 17 x 2.5 ".

> Replace all the cables and add headlight s taillight and turn signal.

> Somebody mentioned that 40mph was possible if I had a c cylinder. How do

> I tell if I have a c cylinder?

If I have any weight to this, don't put a 74CC on it.

Put a feisty 50CC and keep it simple. If you do wanna go crazy, go with an Av10.

My 2 cents. Slipper slope.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The bike has come a long way since I got it. It's pretty much in parts right now. It's kind of slow going cause I'm unsure of everything. I will probably do a porting job on it been looking at rebels videos. I wish he was my neighbor looking at him do the work with confidence makes me feel incompetent. Nevertheless things have been ok nothing major yet. I ran into one issue so far with the front rim the brakes are a Peugeot style small 70mm and I will have to figure out how to attach the brakes to my new forks web from threats.

@ hoagyjoe I'll let you know when I'm done

@ rebelmoby thanks for the info and your YouTube videos a wealth of information. I didn't take your advice about Psyclomoteur Montreal I really don't want to be on Facebook. If there's another way I would contact them.

@frenchee love your ride I will keep it simple. I hope you won't mode me writing you I have a lot of questions regarding the electrical set-up on your bike. Wished you had made some kind of video tutorial it would have helped a lot of people.

Things I'll be doing this week exhaust mod,

Front brake mod, tdc tool install CDI on motor, clean variator 2ball 3 ball who the knows so many questions

Ciao and thanks again guys

15890438954222309814343834254550.jpg
15890439251886427576792466217871.jpg
15890439492147828708023113888872.jpg

Looks like a good start! A reliable stockish 40 is definitely doable. Rebel is the master of all things Moby

So I've modified my exhaust. Not sure how it will work. The new exit hole is 11.5 mm id. The inside baffle the holes were bored to about 5/8" . Any opinions what you guys think?

IMG_20200509_175949.jpg
IMG_20200509_175921.jpg

It's gonna be loud .

LegLockerCam . /

Following

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account