Garelli NOI Flat Head to Socket Bolt Upgrade

I was ordering some bolts for a rebuild and thought I would share the info for anyone else looking to do the same. Here is the complete list of sizes and quantity. These are all only partially threaded but it looks like they should all work just the same. Fully threaded can be sourced but bolt material/finishes and drive size would be mismatched.

External screws are Super-Corrosion-Resistant 316 Stainless.

Internal screws are Zinc Plated Low-Profile Socket Head (low profile head may not be necessary, though this dimension matched the height of the stock flat heads at 4mm so they were used to ensure clearance).

Total cost is $28 from McMAster-Carr, Part Numbers in ( ).

All have a drive size of 5mm, this is the largest for maximum strength.

2x 35mm Low Profile M6 x 1mm (97050A229).

4x 40mm Low Profile M6 x 1mm (97050A231).

6x 40mm Regular Head M6 x 1mm Stainless Steel (92290A339) Sold in a 10 pack, so order just one.

4x 50mm Regular Head M6 x 1mm Stainless Steel (92290A336) Sold in a 10 pack, so order just one.(edited)

92290A336p1-b01-digitall@2x_637015914451262784.png

Re: Garelli NOI Flat Head to Socket Bolt Upgrade

ouch over a $1 a bolt.

They are much cheaper through your local hardware supplier, but they might not have the low profile ones in stock.

The 5mm drive with low profile head drives the price up, and I think is hard to find- I think even McMaster has to order them as it shows a 1-3 week delivery. And of course black oxide would be cheaper than stainless and zinc.

weak ass stainless, allens bolts hover around .50 here and all are 10.9.

Stainless steel should never be used to torque into aluminum. It galls the threads and can cause corrosion as well. I recommend zinc plated where they’re exposed and black oxide inside the cases where they get an oil bath.

Thanks for the tip Daniel!

I have made some edits to the above list taking into consideration the above input from others. Also I removed the low profile heads as there looks to be plenty of clearance. Also added was Flywheel cover bolts. McMaster numbers are included but it would cost $37 to order from there as you would receive a total of 170 bolts since they are all sold in packs of 10 or 50.

All have a drive size of 5mm, this is the largest for maximum strength.

2x 35mm Black Oxide M6 x 1mm (97050A229) : Internal Case Bolts

4x 35mm Zinc Plated M6 x 1mm (90128A267) : Flywheel Cover Bolts

4x 40mm Black Oxide M6 x 1mm (91290A203) : Internal Case Bolts

6x 40mm Zinc Plated M6 x 1mm (90128A268) : Clutch Cover Case Bolts

4x 50mm Zinc Plated M6 x 1mm (90128A269) : External Case Bolts

There's a site boltdepot.com that i get all my bolts for when doing this sorta thing

Also I agree you're better off avoiding the stainless for aluminum cases, but in reality it probably doesnt matter. I dunno, theyre a bad fit from the standpoint of galvanic corrosion but the aluminums such a huge surface area it likely doesnt matter, it's mostly just how i convince myself it's "OK" or even "better" to buy the marginally cheaper Zn plated or black oxide

but yea check out boltdepot.com, scroll down for the metric section: individual bolts with no minimum order, large variety of sizes and prices under 25-50cents a piece, even for the 316. Its a good move, they've been a solid goto vs mcmaster which can be pricey and kinda gouge you on shipping, though it is nearly instantaneous...(edited)

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

I had to look up what galvanic corrosion is and found this on the Wikipedia entry:

Lasagna cell Edit

A "lasagna cell" is accidentally produced when salty moist food such as lasagna is stored in a steel baking pan and is covered with aluminum foil. After a few hours the foil develops small holes where it touches the lasagna, and the food surface becomes covered with small spots composed of corroded aluminum.[14] In this example, the salty food (lasagna) is the electrolyte, the aluminum foil is the anode, and the steel pan is the cathode. If the aluminum foil only touches the electrolyte in small areas, the galvanic corrosion is concentrated, and corrosion can occur fairly rapidly. If the aluminum foil was not used with a dissimilar metal container, the reaction was probably a chemical one. It is possible for heavy concentrations of salt, vinegar or some other acidic compounds to cause the foil to disintegrate. The product of either of these reactions is an aluminum salt. It does not harm the food, but any deposit may impart an undesired flavor and color.[15]

Cristian Luna /

Shout out lasanga

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account