Re: Crazy Custom Frame Hobbit

Yeah that's a huge advantage to this. Always bums me out on hobbits that you only have two choices with hobbits, too low or too tall

Colin Ratcliff /

I did, yep! The output from the Hobbit gearbox normally goes directly to the wheel. In this case instead I'm having it go to a sprocket that is the same size as the one on the rear wheel.

I tried to find a way to do it without the gearbox but the gearing ratio is insane - something like 12:1.

That is a hell of a lot of pipe clamps on that radiator set up, any way of overcoming that?

Colin Ratcliff /

Right?! Sadly I don't think so - the connectors at the radiator are 3/8", the pump is 1/2", and the cylinder is 3/4", so I need adapters in the middle of those, plus the right angle fittings

Those right angle fittings are unnecessary.

A lil heat can make those hoses bend the way you want to get rid of half of those clamps.

You can find hoses with different sized ends at the auto parts store, just pester them enough until they let you go back there

Or use the nice looking fuel injection style clamps.

I have had 2 Bosch Pumps. One came with 3/4 in/out and the other was 1/2 in/out. With the 3/4, I can use GM molded heater hoses that come in all sorts of preformed bends. Some of which has 3/4 to 5/8 ends of them. Really cleaned up my plumbing. Also, Amazon sells billet aluminum barb adapters. (edited)

Colin Ratcliff /

Hey! Awesome, I'll give that a go - particularly heating up the hoses. For now, this will get it running.

On another note, the tank I had before had the petcock in a place that absolutely didn't work, and got really sketchy when I tried to braze the hole shut (lots of flames in the tank). SO, I'm making a new one. It's not pretty, but it's coming along!

PXL_20201116_010004642.jpg
PXL_20201116_005955778.jpg
PXL_20201116_005950736.jpg

Colin Ratcliff /

Design for the sides:

PXL_20201116_014334404.jpg
PXL_20201116_014320928.jpg

There is a method to doing gas tank welding I have been using for years for both motorcycle and cars.

Pull all fittings and plugs.

Hot Soapy water.

Rinse thoroughly

Wash again.

Rinse.

Go outside with all caps and vents open on the tank and light a propane torch and "flame out" the tank. Any vapor left should ignite if there is any.

Do any welding with all ports and caps open to air. If you miss anything it will flame up but not explode in your face.*

*YMMV

Best of luck

^ that’s overkill but yes.

One wash out and a flame out is plenty.

Colin Ratcliff /

Okay! I'll give that other tank a go as well. Either way I'm into this tank - like the length and enjoying figuring out how to make it!

Colin Ratcliff /
image000008.jpg
image000005.jpg
image000006.jpg

Pix's with the tank and seat pan sure make it look like a good sized wheel base. I am also working on a "70's style" moto build and mine looks small in comparison lol.

postost.jpg

Tweaker trash /

How much do these bikes weigh?

> Tweaker trash Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> How much do these bikes weigh?

Heavier than stock fo sure but its about the design. Mine is going to be a trail bike/show bike so all out top speed is not a factor. Just need a high mount pipe to actually use it off road. I already cracked a pipe mounted to the subframe trying it (On the previous Hobbit frame) (edited)

That was a really fun trip down memory lane.

Colin Ratcliff /

Oh for sure. I'm excited to weigh the bike and see, but hoping somewhere around 140

Colin Ratcliff /

I'm pretty sure I wired up my regulator rectifier incorrectly - the water pump isn't working. I followed this guide for it:

IMG_20201121_214540.png

Any advice?

Colin Ratcliff /

Got the wiring fixed! Time to finish the tank welds today

Is that a CB 160 frame you working with ?!?

Colin Ratcliff /

Nope! Custom frame!!

PXL_20201124_023620442.jpg
PXL_20201124_023710918.jpg

Colin Ratcliff /

Tank is welded up! It's leaky as all getup now, so I gotta just keep filling with water and then patching it up. Eventually I'll get it down to pinhole leaks and coat the inside with por 15!

DO NOT use Por 15.

Use Caswell. Seriously. Don't argue, don't second guess it, just use it. Please.

That^ .

More disasters have been reported by Por15 and Kreem users than any other liners . (edited)

I have a tank filled with por15 from a previous owner It has failed and now the only way to get it out is to buy a special chemical from them to remove it

If your tank sealer isn't caswell its shit.

Bronze Braze will seal any holes.

Do that first, never coat a new tank.

Besides, you’re gonna want to modify it later when those sharp right angles dig into your inner thighs. Can’t mod a chemical sealed tank without a ton of bullshit (edited)

Colin Ratcliff /

Oooh okay! Cool, ty. That's super good to know. I'll get at it!

Colin Ratcliff /

update! Tried the brazing and it worked, but there were some portions on the underside of the tank that were so splattered I was having trouble cleaning them up. I took the tank into a machine shop (had some other final machine work to get done) and they were willing to build me one off that design with some minor modifications (tapered towards the back, radius'd ends), for $300, which I felt was worth it. Hopefully will all be finished up in time for the holidays!

Also getting a collar welded onto the end of the exhaust because it wasn't fully sealing, and the nut for the pull start turned down a bit further to get more threads to reach.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account