Re: Crazy Custom Frame Hobbit

I totally understand the “for now” me at sloth for the sake of function but you put a lot of time and love into this bike and I agree it deserves better, based off of your one photo I suggest something like this. Drew this up really quick, but direct and straight is the best way to have an intake the shorter the better

CA89EF0E-9C82-4C9C-A2A0-8FEE0EFD81CA.jpeg
9A106AA8-B627-42B2-B69A-19545A983D73.jpeg

I feel that pre made one is a great direction but obviously custom build needs a custom intake to fit.

For some reason my phone made “mentality” into “me at sloth” no clue how ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is awesome and very impressive but you're over thinking it way too much. Any intake over about 3-4" is going to shake your carb to death, you gotta figure out how to get that guy short as possible. The carb can be like 30+ degrees tipped so you're gonna have to use that to your advantage.

And use steel for the love of God man. Aluminum is not the answer, it will crack, especially with that wackass alumiweld. Get it mocked up and take it to whoever built the frame and have them finish weld it. Ideally you would rubber mount it but the flange might be ok, you'll find out.

The fun part about building something like this is that once it's 'done' it's only about half done, the real work starts once you start riding it and breaking it and learn all this stuff guys like jbot and Daniel and I are saying, haha!

Colin Ratcliff /

Oh mean yeah, and I know I have so so so much to learn.

The intake from treats that extends the carb out the side is 6" long, and this one is 7", so not great, but still maybe worth trying out? What are your thoughts on the up-tube in half and using a rubber hose as a bushing for a portion of it. Maybe leave .5" between each tube and have the rubber hose connect them?

Have you thought about the possibility of installing a custom , modified flat slide carb ?

Maybe eliminate the need for an intake tube .

Then you'd have the task of some kind of filtration .

Sander Mulder /

Maybe a carb like Walbro?, no slide, No jets, no needles and very small. Tuning with 2 screws

Dirty30 Dillon /

Wolf's drawing is exactly what I was hinting at earlier, and is for sure the best way to tackle this.

Colin Ratcliff /

Yeah I'm strongly considering it, probably not the flat carb, but the carb out the side. For now, though, I'm going to see what Joe S is able to build out, and possibly add in a rubber bushing somewhere along the stem. Maybe also bracket it to the cylinder at the top to give it more stability? Like I said, there's a 6" intake that's pretty widely used and seems fairly problem free, and this is only 7".

I know that it will have response lag, which is a bummer, but this is a first-go and cosmetically would be the ideal approach. If this works well, this would definitely be what I would be happiest with.

For the carb out the side, that's probably the best fallback. Fingers crossed that this one works for me, but if not I know what I'm gonna go with next!

Sander Mulder /

I dont think you’ll notice anything about the response lag, i think my manifold is as long as that sketch, no problems at all

Sander Mulder /

longer than you think

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-10 at 15.09.59.jpeg

Colin Ratcliff /

There's definitely some phrasing going on here. I won't pretend I'm not into it.

> Wolf Wizard Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I totally understand the “for now” me at sloth for the sake of function

> but you put a lot of time and love into this bike and I agree it

> deserves better, based off of your one photo I suggest something like

> this. Drew this up really quick, but direct and straight is the best way

> to have an intake the shorter the better

>

> I feel that pre made one is a great direction but obviously custom build

> needs a custom intake to fit.

That is almost like this thing or this

screenshot-www.treatland.tv-2020.10.29-22_49_33.png
intake.png

Sounds like yer on the right path, just another idea to add to the pot,

instead of going up is it a shorter length to swing the intake down?

This is the weirdest build thread ever

Colin Ratcliff /

Mine is bigger than yours

PXL_20201030_172047480.jpg

Colin Ratcliff /

Water pump installed!

PXL_20201103_013408335.jpg
PXL_20201103_013322417.jpg
PXL_20201103_013327752.jpg

Colin Ratcliff /

Aaaand wiring done!

PXL_20201102_234957874.jpg

Colin Ratcliff /

I followed this guide for the wiring:

Screenshot2020-11-03002533.png

Colin Ratcliff /

One issue I ran into last night was that the reed valve is grinding against the crank when fully torqued down. Any advice? Do I grind down the reed valve or throw a few layers of gasket paper in to space it out?

Aw man, I thought they fixed that. You will need to make a spacer. The oko reeds are longer than vforce, which that reedblock was designed for use with. (edited)

> Wolf Wizard Wrote:

> sloth for the sake of function

This sounds like a great idiom

Colin Ratcliff /

Dang! Okay! Would gasket paper work or does it need to be thicker (aluminum etc)?

Colin Ratcliff /
PXL_20201105_015302396.jpg
PXL_20201104_224354418.jpg
PXL_20201104_224350100.jpg

Nice, looks ready to gooooo!

Colin Ratcliff /

Yep! Should be solid. Just need a spacer for the intake and then it'll start. It started for about 2 seconds before it froze up, probably because of the intake.

I love the way the engine looks off the bike, as well. Was able to rig up the cooling so that it can stay intact

Looking quite stout so far! I am also working on a 70's brat style moto frame w/ pa50 drivetrain build but not as crazy :)

Colin Ratcliff /

I'm pretty enthused!

I'm going to the metal shop today to get steel tube - should I be getting 3/8" od mild steel tube? Then slip a 3/8" fuel line over it and at the carb?

Tweaker trash /

This is cool! Makes me want to build something

Tweaker trash /

Did you check the gearing on this? Ummm that sprocket seems to large...the Polaris and arctic 50 atv cvt case both use 19 tooth sprockets (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Tweaker trash Wrote:

> Did you check the gearing on this? Ummm that sprocket seems to

> large...the Polaris and arctic 50 atv cvt case both use 19 tooth

> sprockets

Apples to oranges comparison dude.

Looks like he is using a 1:1 ratio on the chain (45t:45t), to maintain just the hobbits trans ratio before he can tune. Once he gets it running he can change the rear sprocket to adjust physical gearing.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account