Re: Crazy Custom Frame Hobbit

If you want to spend some more money, you can get a Dellorto UA or UB carb. They have an exterior float bowl and you can get different angled ones so the carb body can be at any angle you need.

ua19s2.jpg

Also, for a different tank idea, I built this from sheet metal for about $40 total. The weld in bung and cap was $20.

IMG_20200830_150210.jpg
IMG_20200831_135646.jpg

Colin Ratcliff /

Oh man that's absolutely gorgeous. I would love more pictures.

As for the carb that's something I've definitely been considering. There's also an angled mikuni carb that could work similarly. I found a guy that could do the mandrel bends in town for about $20 if I anneal it first so I'm gonna see if I can make that work. Only issue there is that the tightest radius is 4"

Here's the story on my tank setup.https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,4408480

> Colin Ratcliff Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks all!! Sadly the intake can't route to the side, it won't clear

> the sprocket. Think I gotta figure out routing it up.

>

> I'm thinking of modifying the reed block spacer. Currently it's pushing

> the angle down and making everything more difficult. Do y'all think it

> would work to grind down the surface of it so that it angles up instead?

> I think my main concern doing that is that it'll be challenging to get a

> smooth enough surface to avoid intake leaks, but maybe a process akin to

> case matching would make it work?

> >

If you sliced some of the mass off that reed block spacer (If possible) you may get clearance on the side. Or add some more material to the right side of the intake or spacer to angle it more to the side maybe you could get clearance?

Could in theory also put the carb under the bike though it may get dirty. I know Solo motors do this though.

You'll get it eventually!

I still think you should get an mjn yd-24. Not only do they look fucking dope, but it would be much easier to fab the intake straight back. No weird u bends or holes in the frame.

6571FE81-D8E5-4695-828E-DFD7C0DDD514.jpeg

Yeah get it to angle up. Just get it close with hand tools and such, then finish it on a piece of flat glass with sandpaper like a cyl head. Should get your surface flat and smooth enough for a good gasket to seal up. Great build so far!

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

You may be able to bolt a pumper carb straight to the reed block if you make an adapter, I know 2 stroke stuffing has done a project with one, and it would fit within your space

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

Totally normal JBOT /

After seeing the engine and trans in the cradle,

It looks like a larger version of a Chinese bike kit motor. I can’t unsee it. The plates really make it look like that.

Colin Ratcliff /

Yeahhhhhh I'm definitely getting more and more sure that's the right way to go. No matter what I'll have to do some bends because that reed mount angles the whole thing down a bit, but it would be much less with this

Dirty30 Dillon /

There's no reason to be adhered to available intakes, given the level of work already put in. Send the carb out the RH side to mount nearly flush with the pull start. See adhoc drawling

Capture.JPG

Totally normal JBOT /

^

|

Yeah those plates need to be cut

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> There's no reason to be adhered to available intakes, given the level of

> work already put in. Send the carb out the RH side to mount nearly flush

> with the pull start. See adhoc drawling

> >

I suggested that earlier as it would be damn sexy too. He said there wasn;t enough clearance with the current intake to make that bend but I'm betting with a wedge shaped shim it could be done.

Totally normal JBOT /

Just redo the right side plate to have a large window. It’ll look better too as that’s boxy shit is not sexy

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Aaron Goldman Wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > There's no reason to be adhered to available intakes, given the level

> of

>

> > work already put in. Send the carb out the RH side to mount nearly

> flush

>

> > with the pull start. See adhoc drawling

>

> > >

>

> I suggested that earlier as it would be damn sexy too. He said there

> wasn;t enough clearance with the current intake to make that bend but

> I'm betting with a wedge shaped shim it could be done.

Even a wedge shim would be harder to fab correctly than just welding up a steel intake that negated this issue, OR just CNC'ing one as we know he has the chops to 3d model/have parts made.

Either way, have to agree with Jbot that the bulk of that RH plate is not necessary. Popping an access hole would let you swing the carb out and you could even create a rotary-valve style airbox that caps the assembly.

Colin Ratcliff /

Yeah, good call! I was thinking of using the plate to etch a design, but I'll tape up the carb on it to show what it'd look like

Colin Ratcliff /

Tried out attaching the intake on the side, here's what it would look like. Not suuuuper enthused as it sticks out pretty far - though that would be less of an issue if I ended up sticking with pull start.

PXL_20200928_204052113.jpg
PXL_20200928_204058630.jpg
PXL_20200928_204423929.jpg

Colin Ratcliff /

Fabbed up the rest of the intake today, and unless I figure out a way to do some SUPER tight S curves, I think this is going to be my best option. 4" radius curve with about 45 degrees at the start. I'll play with some more options tomorrow. I ended up cutting up the curved piece I had trying to figure out how to get it to actually fit, so I need to find a place in Portland that can bend small pipe. I also broke my vice making the bend, haha.

PXL_20200929_002701591.jpg
PXL_20200929_002714648.jpg

Damn jbot it does look like a grubee kit. Huh.

I still like it.

The best bends are seriously the ones found in nature, bicycle frames, handicap handrails, harley handlebars

Same as what jbot said, start looking around for garbage, go to the junkyard, pie cut and section until you get what you want.

I agree with Graham. I have piles of old bars just for that purpose.

And it doesn't have to be a perfect S bend. You can make angle cuts a lot easier.

Totally normal JBOT /

That long ass intake will be shitty dude

Totally normal JBOT /

Mountain bike forks often have a 24mm 90 deg angle on the top. Works amazing

Colin Ratcliff /

Oooh ok I'm lookin! I'm gonna bring some tube to a machinist today to get the tightest bend he can do and see if I can cut/weld it to piece it together to get the desired angles. Thinkin should be about $50 for the bends and another $50 for the welding. Fingers crossed.

Agreed about the long intake. I'm doin what I can to mitigate it.

Totally normal JBOT /

For the life of me I can’t understand why you don’t have a flux core welder and a chop saw.

Stop wasting money on other people when you can do it all yourself

Colin Ratcliff /

Yeahhhhhh I have both of those but was trying to go for an aluminum intake so it could match the rest of the engine. I think I'm gonna scrap that goal at this point and go snag some steel tube and go for that approach

Totally normal JBOT /

Ohhhhh ok.

Yeah aluminum intake is totally not needed and would never even be seen. Ok good.

You can also slice into steel tubing then bend the slice closed and weld. Easy way to get bends.

As well, I always grind the insides of my intakes to remove all splatter and high spots.

Brazing is the best for intakes because it seals really well. No pinholes usually unlike welding

I scored a hoard of brass and copper a long time ago. Been making soldered intakes forever. Never had a failure.

Colin Ratcliff /

Awesome - I have a propane torch and a ton of spare aluminum tube of the right diameter, so I'm gonna snag aluminum brazing rod and give it a go!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account