Re: Crazy Custom Frame Hobbit

The intake solution gonna be wild.

Colin Ratcliff /

Yeah it's definitely the most confusing / interesting part to me. Joe S was going to build one for the V Force Reeds but I've gone so far over budget that I'm gonna try to make it work with some AM6 Reeds instead. V Force + the intake would have been a $300+ part.

Maybe down the road if I'm lookin for more power etc I'll go for a Stage6 cylinder with the V Force Reeds

Idk if having a budget on this sort of project is possible. The last custom framer I saw get built was almost 10k and that was not nearly enough for how many hours actually went into making it. (edited)

Colin Ratcliff /

Ahhh shit. Well any costs I can cut at this point while still building a good moped will help.

Emil Kniemel /

> Colin Ratcliff Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Anybody see any issues with creating an adapter to flip the stock intake

> directly upside down?

I wonder if it would be easier to modify a derbi flat reed intake. i think 2 of the 4 holes will line up.

Totally normal JBOT /

You need to make more stuff outta garbage.

Simson strong tie 7/8 washer is perfect size for the intake plate.

I often use a piece of mountain bike forks for the curved intake pipe. Often they are 24mm ID or larger

GARBAGE IS THE BEST

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> GARBAGE IS THE BEST

One man's trash ... ;)

> P D Wrote:

> > JBOT Admin Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > GARBAGE IS THE BEST

>

> One man's trash ... ;)

...is another mans curved 24mm intake!

Colin Ratcliff /

Yeah I believe that's the plan at this point - gonna have a beautiful frame, great engine, and super sexy engine brackets, but I'm gonna carve my own reed block out of a chunk of aluminum, and the intake will be some bent pipe.

Also probably going to play around with fabbing my own tank. It's gonna be ugly as all getup for a while but hopefully I'll learn some stuff and figure out how to make it good - or end up making one out of fiberglass?

Colin Ratcliff /

Actually might snag this weird ass thing to use as a baseline...

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32872603894.html

Since you already have a Jig setup and a tube bender can ya make me a frame?

Something like Joe's but with a single 2" tube going from fork tube back.

Concept pix included :) lol (edited)

frame.jpg
Concept.jpg

Instead of a photo collage make a real drawing with measurements. Then go buy a tube bender and welder from harbor freight and make it yourself for wayyyyy less. Seriously.

His jig works for his frame design. Your proposed frame is totally different.

Addendum---read that again and realized I sound like an asshole! Which I am, but that's not the point! I understand what your going for with your idea, and it's somewhat simpler than his. I think you could do it yourself for alot less than it would cost to have someone else do it...your looking at alot, like 3-4 grand minimum to have him retool and make yours, if he would even consider it. Custom manufacturing is spensive.

Kinda looks like a Magnum swap would serve your concept well.

Totally normal JBOT /

AARON WHY ARE YOU SUCH AN ASSHOLE OMG

If anything I will cut cut the hobbit frame in half and mate a small vintage motorcycle rear. I went ahead and bought a rear cut off to weld together.

To be clear Collin isn’t building the frame, if anyone would like his info dm me or Collin.

Colin Ratcliff /

Yeah as Daniel said, the machinist who is building the frame is amazing. I posted his instagram above as well (asked him for his permission first!)

TOP GUN™ ANDY ⚔ (LSLB) ⚔ /

This thing fucks. Very cool

Colin Ratcliff /
IMG_20200920_160408.jpg
IMG_20200919_124945.jpg
IMG_20200919_124805.jpg

Frame is done and home! Wheelbase ended up a little longer than designed (55" instead of 50"), and I'm not sure where the length got added but I don't think it'll be a problem! More stable is good.

nice! also is that an fzr?

Colin Ratcliff /

1986 GSXR 750! :)

Emil Kniemel /

ive been WAITING for an update. Wowza looks amazing.

Colin Ratcliff /

Hey! OK, got the radiator temporarily mounted today and the rest of the wiring all set up! Just need to figure out the carb and some other little details and it's ready to go.

IMG_20200922_171812.jpg
IMG_20200922_171824.jpg
IMG_20200922_171808.jpg

Colin Ratcliff /

Only difficulty right now is figuring out the alignment for the intake and how to get the carb where I want it. Seems like I'm gonna have to do some sort of S curve for the intake or to modify SOMETHING to get this to work. Would love your advice, as this is the real challenge right now!

IMG_20200922_202806.jpg
IMG_20200922_202811.jpg
IMG_20200922_202841.jpg

Colin Ratcliff /
IMG_20200922_202706.jpg

It looks amazing. No doubt a ton of fun getting to think through all the design and problem solving.

But, you aren’t gonna leave those giraffe horn looking tubes sticking up like that are ya?

Looks great. Definitely will need some sort of bend on that intake, Could have it bend to the left (coming out of the engine) and go through your engine mount plate. That kind of curve may be easier to pull off than an S-Bend and would certainly be unique; especially if you take some time to utilize the engine mount as part of the intake, could be really sexy.

Colin Ratcliff /

Oooh yeah I love the idea of going through the mount plate. I'll mock that up today. It would absolutely be easier than the S bend.

And yes, hahahah, absolutely will be shortening the front fork springs which will make the posts drop. I'm just getting everything else done first so I can make sure I'm happy with the height I set!

Looks great, Colin. I enjoyed watching this get built step by step. Look forward to seeing it rip next time are in Portland.

Colin Ratcliff /

Thanks all!! Sadly the intake can't route to the side, it won't clear the sprocket. Think I gotta figure out routing it up.

PXL_20200923_224614999.jpg
PXL_20200923_224621313.jpg

I'm thinking of modifying the reed block spacer. Currently it's pushing the angle down and making everything more difficult. Do y'all think it would work to grind down the surface of it so that it angles up instead? I think my main concern doing that is that it'll be challenging to get a smooth enough surface to avoid intake leaks, but maybe a process akin to case matching would make it work?

PXL_20200923_224628281.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account