First time DR kit - Hobbit

So I got all the parts for my 78' PA50ii...DR kit, super stuffy crank, Boyesen carbon reeds and seals/bearings with a bigger carb jet. Already have a circuit pipe on. It's my first time doing this extensive of work so I wanted to throw up a post getting any advice or experience I can before I dig in. Thanks all!

2020-01-03 19.00.13.jpg

Re: First time DR kit - Hobbit

Don't use stock head

Get the best cooling head you can.

It makes a huge difference with longevity

I was gonna get the derbhobbit head from treats cuz I heard it has the best cooling aside from going liquid. Thoughts? Super street or sport touring?

I stand by what I said.

It's up to you to make the choices

Jack Rutherford /

Get a better head than the stock one.

Sport touring should run cooler. and "beware, you may need to cut a little bit of the fins to get the head to clear the frame/tank/petcock. be prepared! "

If you've never replaced a crank and bearings and you haven't already assembled the tools to do so then I would suggest replacing the seals and saving the crank and bearings for a later date. From there, swap in the reeds and new carb. Jet the carb for the stock engine and your exhaust. Once you've done that and it's running well, install the DR kit and re-jet the carb for that. I've seen too many people buy everything at once, install it all, and then be at a loss as to what went wrong.

I reread your post and you didn't get a bigger carb but a bigger carb jet. I'd go with a bigger than stock carb with that kit given it's propensity to generate lots of heat.(edited)

William Johnson /

without higher stall clutch springs and variator you won't get the performance you should.

eh, just notch that fucker and rip cheap

TJT vario is on the list but wanna get started with what I have accumulated so far, what springs do you recommend?

Notch and only notch? What will I do with all these parts?? haha

Terbo Speghetti /

I LOVE my polini vario from motorkit. It was absolutely worth the price.

dos has a cool variator, i built a few with the camino 6 roller and fast arrow plate that were excellent, notched variator is cheap and easy and works though. I love a good budget hobbit, just ported piped and a notched variator. cheap easy quick. DR just makes it easier and quicker

Kevin Bishop /

I got a spare notched/windowed variator if you want it

I was gonna do cheap; Proma, reeds, upjet and notch then Treatland had a sale. : )

Always down for spare notched vario.

Kevin Bishop /
26C6FD2F-6C8E-4394-9A86-75D896022462.jpeg
197ADA82-435C-47A9-88B5-440DB0D24747.jpeg
724B39DA-01B7-44BE-9ED5-669AA0083311.jpeg

Here is a pic with two sets of rollers one drilled out.

woah you keep those metal tabs in there? they always seem to dig holes in the plastic caps and make the weights get jammed up, i always get rid of mine.

Pro tip. Pa1 weights are perfect in a pa2 variator with a kitted set up.

Thanks Daniel, care to educate me on why people notch?

Kevin Bishop /

Pretty sure one of my sets came from a pa50i because the caps aren’t interchangeable. It has

been many years though. Can’t recall which set I drill out. They were still too heavy even with yellow contra spring.

Notching t variator let’s the weights move further out on the ramps closing the cheeks further and giving you a higher top speed. Not recommended unless you use an aftermarket crank.

nice kevin, looks quality

Kevin Bishop /

Variator sold

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Notching t variator let’s the weights move further out on the ramps

> closing the cheeks further and giving you a higher top speed. Not

> recommended unless you use an aftermarket crank.

Why?

Ungapped rings to bind them all /

A notched variator and lightened rollers are one of the first cheap mods you can do to add some rpms and speed to a stock or modified stock hobbitt. The crank has nothing to do with it, except demand a better variator as performance and rpms increase. Buying a DOS or TJT with Rumpus and a variety of weights as soon as you can afford the upgrade will get rid of the limitations and roller chewing of a notched OEM vario while allowing a greater range of variation and easier tuning. Hobbitt rats on the cheap are awesome, but an upgraded variator is a huge improvement. Have fun learning. You'll get there.(edited)

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account