Tomos A35 shifting lag and slight shutter

Richard Eberline /

Completely rebuilt motor and transmission. 1994 Tomos Sprint A35 kick start.

Airsal 70cc kit, 27t x 24t gearing, Sha 15mm, MLM intake and Biturbo and engine wise runs great with a AM CDI. Mid 40's and vg first gear power. timed and jetted.

Problem and lag going into 2nd gear 22mph, I have to feather the throttle. Both clutches are kevlar lined and have blue springs. Trans oil is mercon III and the SPRAG is installed.

Looking for a fix on shifting and performance upgrades.

Re: Tomos A35 shifting lag and slight shutter

you could go back to the stock gearing just to see if the shudder goes away

the shutter is probably from the bushing on 2nd gear wearing down. i’ve seen it come from there. or worn pins on the cruciform with the whole sprag spring on that gear cluster.

Richard Eberline /

Thanks, will the racing oil help?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The shoes should open towards rotation flip the pins. The leading edges should be capped and toed angled so they don't instantly grab. Light tranny fluid for grab thicker for slip.

Richard Eberline /

Replaced the first gear bushing and all 8 new roller bearings. A lot better with the shutter and shifts better. Second gear hits, you need to hold on. Needs a 60mph speedo.

Shifting shudder will happen of the 2nd gear spring rolls out of the clutch. Stock springs are great, but yellow 1st and blue 2nd works great with my fat butt. Type f trans fluid or straight sae 30. 28/20 is best gearing in my opinion.

Total agree with conan

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account