Manual shift hobbit part 2

Totally normal JBOT /

So yeah what up you fucks?

I'm making that manual shift again for a hobbit (with the shift brake too) that other people can try, so people can see and try and understand the fucking need for this shit. Then a kit for sale will follow.

So far I got this. This bike revs like crazy so it's going to be really fun to wind it out

IMG_7159.JPG
IMG_7163.JPG
IMG_7164.JPG

Re: Manual shift hobbit part 2

Totally normal JBOT /

Bottom billet piece is to hold a clamp/slide asssmbly (sliding on hdpe liner) so there's no chance of the assembly kicking out

Nice!!! Glad to see your settling back into your groove after the tour! New hobbit treats pulley is sick as fuck. Ryan crank has one on his hobbit ripping absolute dongs. He must have shredded 3 or 4 belts, but the pulley just kept hanging in there. Following this thread.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nice!!! Glad to see your settling back into your groove after the tour!

> New hobbit treats pulley is sick as fuck. Ryan crank has one on his

> hobbit ripping absolute dongs. He must have shredded 3 or 4 belts, but

> the pulley just kept hanging in there. Following this thread.

Treats New pulley ?

Terbo Speghetti /

Man, i have enough trouble with one belt, now i gotta have TWO?

Why you gotta make the stuff i want?

Terbo Speghetti /

That pulley def got thrashed, but they say it'll be resurrected in even more radical form...

Nvm it’s secret prototype... was hoping it had tested ok and we would be seeing it soon.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Yes! Love this, had the idea of doing this with a Vespa set up.

Totally normal JBOT /

Got to do some pre thxgiving wrenching.

Coming together.

Avid bb5 for the floating shift brake.

Just have to make a pedal now and then try it out. Might use the Camino pulley to see if it would work.

IMG_7168.JPG

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

you crazy wizard

Totally normal JBOT /

Ran out of welding wire so I had to braze the rest.

It's almost done now, just some fitment issues and lubing it up then locking it down and run a cable to the bars.

And reengineering the kickstand spring location. So it's not done ok

But ALMOST

On the bottom rail you'll see a piece of aluminum, it's some plate that sandwiches 2 hdpe sheets between it and the swingarm bracket, spaced out with washers to stabilize the whole swangin thing.

IMG_7181.JPG
IMG_7178.JPG
IMG_7180.JPG

Totally normal JBOT /

Done, now just waiting for some dry weather to test it out.

Totally normal JBOT /

Works pretty good even with the modded Camino pulley

Belts will never be aligned but I'm not convinced it will matter that much. Time will tell.

manual control cvt

TITS

I need to get back at this with my grande my first go at it I made a pulley but I think the dia was too small causing excess heat from the belt being wrapped too tightly around the pulley. I picked up that pulley your using I’m going to try again with that one to see if it works out better.

96EF0E5C-A09D-4177-B276-B8E70B93CD43.jpeg

Totally normal JBOT /

The heat was probably from a slipping belt. You really have to dimple the double sheave pulley faces to keep good grip. A smooth pulley face on that coupler pulley causes lots of slippage unless you run a super strong spring.

With dimples you can run a weak spring and no slip

Totally normal JBOT /

And btw, good to see someone else trying this.

You gotta add a brake caliper to the assembly somewhere tho. That's my favorite part. To lock it in any gear is just so fun, especially in twisties when the variation wants to be sluggish, keep it locked in a low gear and you just fly thru the corners.

My camino pulley isnt set up right for this new device. It likes to stick at the beginning of variation which is great to wick up with a standard dual vari setup, but I want it to shift right away and control it manually so there's some setup tuning that I gotta do today. Maybe a weaker spring will do it and/or heavier weights

I didn’t even think about the belt slipping. But I’m sure that was the problem with my setup, it worked great on the stand but riding the bike it would top out at 28-30 mph. The bike didn’t want to accelerate the same as a single belt setup and there was a ton of heat coming off everything after riding the bike.

I had the cable going to a lever on the bars I could hold it at any variation on the stand and if you pulled the lever all the way if would downshift back into low gear. I do like the foot pedal idea. I’m going to play around with this setup again.

Totally normal JBOT /

I highly doubt that you can hold it in any specific gear when riding. You need a massive amount of force to hold the pulley in one gear and ride the Rpms up to the top. A cable pull isn't gonna cut it. Even large pocketbike calipers can't lock it in without lots of mods. Avid or hydraulic brake calipers are best.

Totally normal JBOT /

Dressed some belts today.

IMG_7190.JPG

Totally normal JBOT /

Got it dialed in now,

It's funtastic.

And now all my imaginary friends can try this shifter on this normal stance really quick bike. Once you try this manual shift and shift brake it's hard to not use it.

Bike still shifts normally without the shifter, just TURNS IT UP TO 10 WHEN YOU WANNA RIP TOTAL DICKS AND YOU DEF WANT TO RIP BOIIIIIIII

Totally normal JBOT /

Added a foot protector/cradle to keep one from killing onesfoot.

Then burnt out the steel to lighten with a torch. That is fucking fun to do.

Been riding this bike and it is so fun to have so much control over shift.

I'll either let it variate at clutch engagement (8k) which is very tame, then I can lock the variation in one spot and climb into the power (9-11k) then use a combination of my left hand and left foot to adjust and lock the trans at any point.

So basically you have lots of choices and techniques to do, just like riding a 2t manual shift motorcycle... then add throttle position to the mix and you can literally become one with the shift.

IMG_7320.JPG
IMG_7318.JPG

Fucking awesome, and nice work Joe. The belt angle looks fine some of these short scooter swingarms are more extreme. This guy drilled holes in his cheeks.

DDDED16C-831B-4125-BBCF-8E979B3C5E55.jpeg
A41C9B65-513A-4A7F-9594-48A79BDE47B3.jpeg

This guy has a plastic fan.

BE48F218-E408-420F-A47B-689B39A559CD.jpeg

Totally normal JBOT /

I do those holes now too,

They work great with really fast setups to limit belt slip without crazy strong springs.

Hell yeah!

Thank you for this. This is the last missing piece of the ultimate moped puzzle in my opinion: a dual variation launch lever. I had been thinking about allowing my engine to swing forward only when I pushed on it (with a strong pulling spring to hold it otherwise) to get half variation launch levering, but your way is the way to go. I have an idea of how I might try and implement it, but your design looks pretty effective as is. I would have to mount it a little differently because I have the MLM aluminum swingarm, but that's no problem

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account