Does anybody use a steering damper?

Terbo Speghetti /
Screenshot_20191113-185715_AliExpress.jpg

Am i gonna look like a really big nerd if i put one of these on the grande front end I'm running? Front wheel comes up out of corners sometimes and I come down into lil bb tank slappers and no no, me no likey that, nope.

Re: Does anybody use a steering damper?

All u gotta do is add a scoop of dirt to the grease, much much much cheaper.

Brad William /

I'm a fan of steering dampers on two wheeled machines. It's tough to engineer a perfectly stable frame with the rake that is necessary at the steering head, and where that head must be placed in relation to the whole. My mopeds have never exceeded 40mph so it's never been an issue. Putting gloves on with no hands on the grips can be scary. The maxi underbone is a frighteningly flexy thing to begin with. A steering damper goes against my dirt simple ethos of mopedding. (Warning...always check your posts...spellcheck changed mopedding into molesting).

Simpler options to try before dampening are shifting body weight by changing seat position and bar end weights. It's surprising how little it takes sometimes to make speed wobbles better, and worse.

Sometimes it's a matter of tweaking all three of those things. First you should make sure the steering head and swing arm bearings aren't really sloppy and the tires/wheels aren't horribly out of balance. Otherwise a damper does nothing but add dead weight. (edited)

I did this on brownciao for a minute back when it had bravo forks on it. I didn't see much difference. I was better off using heavier oil.

Grande forks are generally okay, even in 30 mph cornering. You may just need to repack or maybe your spring(s) are blown out

Terbo Speghetti /

> alex . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I did this on brownciao for a minute back when it had bravo forks on it.

> I didn't see much difference. I was better off using heavier oil.

>

> Grande forks are generally okay, even in 30 mph cornering. You may just

> need to repack or maybe your spring(s) are blown out

It's not the forks themselves that I'm worried about, it's how fast they steer when the front wheel comes off the ground. By the time i realize that I've oversteered and/or the wheel isn't touching the pavement, I've got almost no time to get it back, and usually end up overcorrecting. I'm real happy with my riding position, it's just pulling power wheelies out of the corners.

The forks def need a rebuild though, so I'll take your advice on the oil.

The way I go is to first make sure the wheel bearings are in goodly shape, same with the steering bearings. Also have a goodly brace or stabilizer between the fork legs. This will stop the legs from torque steering and give better stability.

Above 40mph go hydraulic, even leading link springers are finicky unless they have excellent bushings. I also make sure on girder forks to service the dampers and tight up the discs.

Above 45 on anything that was not designed for 1.5 x its intended speed you need a damper. Variance of steering geometry on mass produced mopeds is too much to take the risks at 45 or higher in my opinion.

Terbo Speghetti /

I guess the moral of the story is that my whole front end needs a good servicing. Better to get a baseline before I start changing things, huh? Thanks for all your help Rebel

mopeds are too light to have a steering damper I had one on my old CBR1000r but that was a 600lb bike. just keep your forks and steering bearing clean and lubed and adjusted an all should work fine.

Steering dampeners are sick on ripping mopeds, I’ve got one coming for my rigid free spirit. That bike can get really violent all of a sudden when riding at speed in the night.

Overall weight of the cycle is not a contributing factor to death wobble, it can even occur on a pedal bike.

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> mopeds are too light to have a steering damper I had one on my old

> CBR1000r but that was a 600lb bike. just keep your forks and steering

> bearing clean and lubed and adjusted an all should work fine.

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> Overall weight of the cycle is not a contributing factor to death

> wobble, it can even occur on a pedal bike.

If a bike or moped has a death wobble then something is wrong. front wheel is out of balance, forks are bent or need a rebuild . I had one because over 150 the steering would become to light.

At 150 you'd best not be steering much . ;)

Terbo Speghetti /

I bet you spent a lot of time riding over 150, bro. Go flex in a sportbike forum, you're not contributing anything.

> Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

> I bet you spent a lot of time riding over 150, bro. Go flex in a

> sportbike forum, you're not contributing anything.

Sorry what? telling someone a steering damper is not for a moped isn't contributing. yea ok

Jeff, dampers are widely used on 50cc race bikes so they do work. Speed and bike weight aren't the only variables at play

Makes sense to try one after doing all of the usual front end upgrades if you still aren't satisfied with your bikes handling.

Ohlins knockoffs are +-$30 and one can be set up easy enough that it is worth it to try one out if there is a need.

Plus they add 5 hp if they are anodized!!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account