build expectations

Carraig Butler /

I just recently acquired a Peugeot 104 and have been working on it for quite some time now. About two weeks ago I decided to get the Airsal 70cc kit (big port) a 70cc high compression head with decompression, and a 15.15 sha delorto carb. the bike could top out at about 43mph all stock , until the condenser started messing up. what can I expect the new top speed to be once I fix the breaker points and condenser? Am I holding my hopes too high to expect 55mph out of it? Right now I did some tests by cleaning the breaker points as a temporary fix , for about 2 miles lol. I have also thought about getting the simo circuit pipe. Do I need to get the simo pipe to have it reach its full potential or will It make a difference? I am running the stock pipe de-restricted by the way. and here are some photos if you want

IMG_0386.JPG
IMG_0403.JPG
IMG_0401.JPG

Re: build expectations

How fast you will be able to go really depends on how well you tune it.

Carraig Butler /

What are some things I can do to tune it? Because to my understanding it’s just the timing and jetting and stuff like that.

> Carraig Butler Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What are some things I can do to tune it? Because to my understanding

> it’s just the timing and jetting and stuff like that.

Timing, jetting, pipe, variator set up. There is also gearing but not as important as the rest as long as you running 11/56 gearing. It is variated correct?

Carraig Butler /

I haven't touched the variator its all stock for whatever I know. and by that you men the spring right? and you're saying that my top speed would be affected by it?

> Carraig Butler Wrote:

> I haven't touched the variator its all stock for whatever I know. and by

> that you men the spring right? and you're saying that my top speed would

> be affected by it?

Sometimes the variator can variated too fast and the motor doesn't have enough torque to recover and get too speed. So yes it possible could.

Often the pea shooter exhause restricts all of the goodness of the overbore and larger carb and intake. Open ended pipe will not help performance, you need some containment so there is a reversion wave to help stuff that combustion chamber. Even a cheapest expansion chamber exhause will give an advantage.

Carraig Butler /

What do you mean by reversion wave or expansion chamber exhaust? Are you saying a performance exhaust is enough or is there something else restricting it?

If you are after higher than 35ish then you will need to consider getting rid of the MrHotDog stock type exhause and get something with performance in mind rather than speed/noise compliance like the stock exhause.

Not ot be an ass, but it is time for you to research expansion chambers on wiki (if one is there) or Google, get a handle on how they work and such.

> Carraig Butler Wrote:

> What do you mean by reversion wave or expansion chamber exhaust? Are you

> saying a performance exhaust is enough or is there something else

> restricting it?

awesome bike - just confirming you said you were getting 43mph ALL STOCK - before any modifications?

Carraig Butler /

Yes on a good day. It’s usually around 39 so I may have had a slight tail wind.

I’m curious about what Stephen said about the 11-56 gearing, because that’s what i have on my variated 103 and I feel that it could stand a smaller rear. It’s a monster off the line but topping out at the low-mid 40’s (70 Polini, polini crank, three ball stock clutch, SHA 16). I might also want to take a look at my stock cdi and confirm that it’s not restricted. I believe the box is aftermarket but I’ll double check.

Carraig Butler /

Does anyone know what I should set the timing of the flywheel to for the airsal 70cc kit? I just got the flywheel puller and a piston stop however the piston stop stops way below top dead center so is it still any use? Or should I just use a pen instead and mark the flywheel?

> Carraig Butler Wrote:

>

> however the piston stop stops way below top dead center so is it still

> any use?

I think you need to research how to find tdc with a stop.

With a 70cc you can afford to gear out a little bit with the extra torque, but you may need a stiffer spring and or lighter weights to keep the revs up as it shifts. If you’re a flat lander I would say 11x52 would be slightly faster, maybe it would get you 2 or 3 mph faster. Those dudes in turkey who have the lay-down highway racers run like 35t rear sprockets and are in the +70mph range.

Carraig Butler /

I just received my Simonini circuit pipe and have high hopes. but I didn’t receive any bolts. So being impatient I just threw it together with a few laying around as seen in the photo. But I am wondering what bolts I should use. - Thanks

40A4656A-07CE-4CA2-BB40-DE727282889C.png

Use what ever bolts do the job .

Replace with pretty ones later , if it matters .

Looks like nyloc nuts on that flange - the nylon locking device will last exactly one engine run before it melts off and starts to loosen up - just saying

> Carraig Butler Wrote:

> I just received my Simonini circuit pipe and have high hopes. but I

> didn’t receive any bolts. So being impatient I just threw it together

> with a few laying around as seen in the photo. But I am wondering what

> bolts I should use. - Thanks

Carraig Butler /

Yeah I’m aware I just wanted to hear it I wouldn’t actually run it like that

I usually drill holes through the cylinder fins and mount the springs to that too. Just to keep the pipe supported by more than just the flange and the flimsy back bracket.

^100%. second that.

Carraig Butler /

so after installing the pipe with some bolts and thread locker, I have gotten a top speed of 50mph. I am honestly happy with the speed its nothing crazy but, to be honest, its way to unstable on a moped. however, I have just broken the exhaust bracket clean off and I have jb welded it back together and it snapped again after like 3 miles. I have ordered a new bracket that is supposedly reinforced from treat land. is there any way to prevent this from happening? And I also am wondering how I can adjust the back wheel accurately? Because after doing it to the best of my ability it still feels like I'm riding on a galloping horse. btw I didn't mention it but its because my chain snapped but I've gotten a new one-sized it and everything and it is tensioned right and all that except for the weel being slightly off.

IMG_0500.JPG
IMG_0499.JPG

23F922A2-BEC9-4364-826E-9FEBAEBF5121.jpeg

That screw sure seems happy with it.

Carraig Butler /

Lol

Hose clamp the broken bits together or get the polini spring/bracket

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Hose clamp the broken bits together or get the polini spring/bracket

Or , a few wraps of bailing wire would be cheaper and last a lot longer . ;)

Once you reinforce the the exhaust bracket, the next things to fail are the little tabs on your engine bracket that it bolts too

I wonder how a strong spring would work in that application .

Carraig Butler /

So I have recently received my launch lever and a new exhaust bracket and new condenser just for good measure. But I can’t seem to find anything on how to remove the pedal crank and can’t figure out how to do so. Does anyone know how? Do I need a special tool? Also the launch lever didn’t come with bolts so how does it mount? -thanks in advance

8FA2BA8B-27AF-4DDF-BCAD-B4A2CBCE3E01.jpeg
7D7A1978-96F3-4121-9AD7-83FBCA792486.jpeg

Carraig Butler /

so after running my ped for about a week now and have just ran into issues with overheating and seizing up slightly (just leaving a small but noticeable mark on the piston. my first thought was obviously it was running way too lean and I tried up-jetting to about 78 from 68, And still had the same issues and I am now waiting on more jets But another thought crossed my mind. Is it not getting enough fuel due to the stock crank case not having enough ports for the new cylinder? I just wanted to ask you guys if this does seem like the problem before I start making new ports in my crank case. -Thanks

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account