Re: Peugeot 103 70cc Metrakit

You have to use both the polini and stock spring, just the polini spring is probably goating like a mf’er

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

HAHAha goating. Is that what it's called? That makes sense, definitely goat-esque

do i put the stock spring inside the polini or can i mount that whole assembly? I didn't really look at it.

I should be able to just use the launch lever in the meantime.

You just run the stock spring in it’s normal location.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Lol I realized this morning that i forgot to check my ring gap. I do all this crazy shit and leave out a pretty basic step.

I really dont feel like pulling the top end just to find out that it's ok. It'll probably eat away at me and i'll measure it anyways.

> DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Lol I realized this morning that i forgot to check my ring gap. I do all

> this crazy shit and leave out a pretty basic step.

>

> I really dont feel like pulling the top end just to find out that it's

> ok. It'll probably eat away at me and i'll measure it anyways.

You might try just pulling the head and eyeball the gap with a feeler gauge above the ring gap . Not a perfect way to do it , but , it'll give a pretty good idea of what the gap is .

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> P D Wrote:

>

> You might try just pulling the head and eyeball the gap with a feeler

> gauge above the ring gap . Not a perfect way to do it , but , it'll give

> a pretty good idea of what the gap is .

I spent the greater part of my work day trying to figure out what you mean by this and how that would be remotely effective

Alas, i also just realized that i need to drop the motor to take the head off so that sucks. I might be able to swing the motor back and do it but then im not sure if i can pull the jug and i dont wanna screw up my gaskets. I think i'm just gonna run it. The last metrakit i got didn't need any ring gap adjustment.

i'm gonna go buy a lottery ticket

> DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) Wrote:

> i'm gonna go buy a lottery ticket

Maybe you should try running it before spending the dollar on a ticket . ;)

Most “good kits” come with proper gaping. Now always but more times than not. I would say run it!

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

So I got the lights fixed! Turns out the motor was not grounding to the frame. Fixed it for now with an alligator clip lol

IMG_20191104_202058.jpg

I rode it home from the garage (it's like 6 or 7 blocks) and it did pretty well; didn't go over 260*. Top end is a little noisy as I expected but I think it'll bee ok.

The pipe provides nothing to the motor and it just acts like the stock top end with more torque and power. I think it still a bit rich and I'll tinker with the jetting a bit. I think I put a 72 in it. I'm excited to have this bike be reasonable to ride in rush hour traffic.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> You have to use both the polini and stock spring, just the polini spring

> is probably goating like a mf’er

explain goating please.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Joey P Wrote:

> > Daniel '' Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > You have to use both the polini and stock spring, just the polini

> spring

>

> > is probably goating like a mf’er

>

> explain goating please.

Basically your spring tension is too weak and it causes the motor to slip the belt, it usually grabs as the variator cheeks close on the belt and it starts to shift. But when it grabs your speed is too low for that ratio and it down shifts creating a sound that is akin to a goat going bahahahah.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Basically your spring tension is too weak and it causes the motor to

> slip the belt, it usually grabs as the variator cheeks close on the belt

> and it starts to shift. But when it grabs your speed is too low for that

> ratio and it down shifts creating a sound that is akin to a goat going

> bahahahah.

thanks good to know. i love jargon

Anyone else notice the price spike on these? 200$ now. Bummer.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Eric N Wrote:

> Anyone else notice the price spike on these? 200$ now. Bummer.

Yeah, but it comes with a properly cut head so that's cool. Still takes a lot of work for $200 so idk

I'm very interested in this thread. Keep it coming.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Charlie BUZZARD Wrote:

> I'm very interested in this thread. Keep it coming.

I rode it about 10 miles so far. It's alright. My top speed on my route to the bar and back went up from 34 to 40 and the average speed went up from 15 to 25. It vibrates a good bit but i kinda expected that and it's not much more than the stock motor. It has a bit of piston noise, but it goes away after getting above idleish rpms

Definitely pulls a lot better but it's no speed demon yet. I want to add a second exit tube on the exhaust to help that breath a little better as it is definitely a big limitation and also it looks cool as shit. I'm still really fighting picking up a new exhaust.

I probably need to downjet still as I haven't done that and it sounds a little rich; it's not 4 stroking but i feel like it's hard to get variated bikes to 4 stroke like a single speed. Temps are super chilly and it doesn't really go over 280. I could probably advance the timing too. It's pretty tame at 1.5mm. Idk what im doing yet. I don't have much time to tinker during the week. So i'll mess with it some more this weekend.

I am currently waiting for some parts to swap out the stock lighting coil to try and get 12v and a brake light so I can ride it to work and not get killed in rush hour traffic. That stuff should come tomorrow. Also have a set of EBRs i wanna throw on it because the stock fork is pretty shit and rusty; im sure that will be a chode and take me too many hours to fit.

Put a Doppler on it and be a rude boi. 1.5 is a little for high timing, I usual let start at 1.1 with static timing. I but I mostly run gianelli or ninja pipes which hit around 8k sooooo I bet 1.5 is spot on for a bike that isn’t even revving to 8k. Are you just gonna use a puch ignition coil? The flywheels on Peugeot are super strong magnets and the lights are gonna be killer if you use a puch coil.

DOS has some pretty sick PUG pipes for A good price. Check out their stock. If I were you I would pipe it up. But hey... It is yours. Love all of this. (edited)

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

It had a Puch internal ignition coil on it when I got it so I've never had brake lights. I ordered one of the Puch 12v 2.0 light coils that I'm gonna make work. Should fit without too much effort.

I could try retarding it. I'm definitely not hitting 8k lol maybe if I rev it on the stand

Yeah I like that race replica pipe DOS has. I think it's pretty much a ninja and it's pretty cheap compared to other pipes I've bought lately. We'll see.

Also, it only goats when I pedal it from a stop while giving it full throttle and it will only bah like twice before it evens out. (edited)

That dos pipe is a clone of the Ninja g2 replica and it is a great pipe. I had it on a kit with 125/175 durations and it hit hard around 7k

I liked it better than the Doppler.

If you buy it do something about the baffle before you run it though.

Mine broke off within a few minutes.

Hard to tell from picture but it looks like the entire baffle is not connected anywhere to the pipe. The baffle tube just slides over the round plate on the stinger and is supposed to stay connected somehow.

You could rivet the outer baffle tube to the round plate but the tube is really soft aluminum and the rivet holes may not hold up.

Or take out the rear rivets and take the whole thing apart and weld the perforated tube to the stinger.

It's a shame because it's a great pipe otherwise.

That kit you have seems like the perfect French 70 kit. You could probably run 50cc kit durations and compression ratios and a long stroke crank and have some fun without too many problems.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

The metrakit definitely has TONS of potential. The fin orientation helps with the cooling so much. I'll probably end up grabbing that pipe from DOS one of these days.

I checked my plug today and it looks pretty good. Good color

IMG_20191109_141752.jpg
IMG_20191109_141749.jpg

The dark spot is toward the third transfer which is interesting and not what I expected.

I'm going to pull some timing to try and get some more revs out of it. We'll see.

I have a 19mm phbg I can run but I dont think that will do any good without a pipe change

Also, treats still has some of the uncut head kits at 125$ now (edited)

I didn’t knew you were using the puch internal ignition coil as an ignition coil, I mean to use the normal ignition coil with 2 wires)blue and blue/black) as a 12v lighting coil. But if you already ordered up a freshie just go with that. I seem to remember havi to grind a bit off the corners to get it to not scrape, but it was so long ago now I don’t even remember.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> I didn’t knew you were using the puch internal ignition coil as an

> ignition coil, I mean to use the normal ignition coil with 2 wires)blue

> and blue/black) as a 12v lighting coil. But if you already ordered up a

> freshie just go with that. I seem to remember havi to grind a bit off

> the corners to get it to not scrape, but it was so long ago now I don’t

> even remember.

I just got the 2.0 lighting coil in and it fits like a glove. Just had to stack some washers under it. Why does no one recommend this?

Well most people just get the mbk cdi. It’s about the same price as getting new points, internal coil, condensor, lighting coil, connectors ect.

Jansen Hanzer /

when you put on a new exhaust muffler it will be a very racey moped

changing to a larger bore carburetor will give you gains as well

ok thank you

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Well most people just get the mbk cdi

Yeah, that makes sense. It is cheap as shit for the whole kit. Oh well. I had already replaced the points and condenser.

I'm still having trouble getting the brake light to work. The brake switches have been swapped to normally closed/open when paused (the other kind) and are wired in parallel. The circuit tests correctly and becomes live when the lever(s) is pulled but the taillight just dims ( the headlight does not). I'm using an 1157 bulb and maybe that's the issue. The brake filament is like 27 watts. I'll keep messing with it. Maybe try an LED bulb? maybe throw the bike in the trash

Anyways, I put another 15 miles or so on it. I retarded the timing a bit from 1.5mm to 1.25mm BTDC and it is surprisingly better. I had my speedo pinned but i didn't have the gps running so idk how fast i was moving prolly around 45.

I was getting this weird rattling noise when i was moving and i couldn't figure out where it was coming from as it just kinda started happening. I took the variator off and cleaned and greased it but all that was good. I kind of ignored it since everything was working correctly but it was still worrying me; I figured out what it was at like 1am on the way home from the bar. Turns out it was the chain/lock on the crossbar. I feel dumb for not checking that first.

I’d try a bulb with less wattage for sure. I think those puch 12v coils are only good to 40w. I love when you’re moped problems are something like that. One time I borrowed a friends bike to go to the O’reily and whenever I hit a bump it sounded like the kickstand was smacking around or the forks were clacking. I kept looking down and being like wtf is going on. When I gave it back I told him dude your shit is fucked, he shook the lock on his book rack and then I felt like a dummy.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Here are some speed results from today. The first one is mostly uphill and limiting.

Screenshot_20191110-195705.png

What goes up must come down. I always like heading home. Its almost always down hill. I did swap to an AX profile belt on my return just for shits since my normal 4L340W belt is pretty worn and was goating hard from a stop. AX fixed the goating a good bit but it is just about the same as a good condition. It is a little slower on the low speed acceleration.

Anyways, I grabbed a recorded 47mph on the AX belt which is my top so far. I'm almost certain I went faster last night.

Screenshot_20191110-195055.png

My previous best was 45 on a long downhill on the stock top end with the exhaust lip removed. Progress is good. I'm gonna try to run the same downhill again with the 4L340W belt and see if it's any better. The quality of the Gates AX belt is much higher than the 4L340W belts I've been using. They seem to vibrate a lot less.

A toothed belt is such an improvement over not having one. But all ax belts are no created equal. I prefer the optibelt over gates or the other manufacturers

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account