Best Motobecane AV7 Money Spent?

ALEX PHILLIPS /

I've got $200 to put into mopeds and a 50v AV7 with stock everything except cdi and 15.15 SHA.

Should I slap a 74cc Airsal on it, and run it with stock exhaust and stock head? I'd do the variator 2 ball modification as well.

Or should I spend my money on an er3 w/clutch function and port the cylinder per the wiki? I have no experience with porting.

My goal is 45 mph with torque. I will put more into the bike in the future, but this is the extent of my fun right now. A part of me wants to save and build up an AV10, another part of me wants to go fast now.

Re: Best Motobecane AV7 Money Spent?

you got the cashew exhaust?

Either way, i like porting and moby was the first cylinder i ever ported, pretty straightforward, very satisfying.

av10 isnt that expensive. you can get the cases with a SHA intake and some reeds for under 100, I got a cylinder, mild 70cc, I'd send ya for 30 bucks shipped. rebuild it ($30 for bearings and seals, cut yer own gaskets, reuse your other av7 shit. you're in budget and rolling on av10

i've built the 'slap on an airsal' moby build a couple times for customers, its a really quick and easy way to get a moby going 45 with good torque and accel and pretty reliable.

if you just take the plate out of the exhaust its not much louder and runs really good. easy to tune with the SHA.

the 2 ball mod is nice but when you have the torque of the kit you end up not really needing it. you can shim up your engine spring with washers for a little boost and fine tune it.

ALEX PHILLIPS /

willd -- ill take you up on that. Let me know if you see a cheapo av10 with sha intake and reeds. the cases im finding are more expensive.

graham -- yeah the slap on approach seems so easy and totally good enough. But Im thinking ill make my life impossible and build an av10.

> ALEX PHILLIPS Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> willd -- ill take you up on that. Let me know if you see a cheapo av10

> with sha intake and reeds. the cases im finding are more expensive.

>

> graham -- yeah the slap on approach seems so easy and totally good

> enough. But Im thinking ill make my life impossible and build an av10.

If you go av10 you'll need CDI also. I guess you COULD use your points. How much you looking to spend?

ALEX PHILLIPS /

I was going to use my av7 crank, my av7 cdi, and av7 variator until I shell out for the ER3

don't av10's need like different mounting brackets and spring technology?

i've never fucked with one, i just thought it was a bit harder than straight up building an engine and throwing it on

If a part of you wants to go fast now, take a afternoon to give that AV7 jug a basic porting job https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Motobecane_porting_the_right_way

derestrict the exhause exit pipe with a 11mm ID replacement pipe and rejet your SHA15:15. Set the CDI timing at 1,2mm BTDC.

Make sure you use a new crush washer on the exhause and check it is still goodly tight when the engine is heat soaked and cooking hot.

Now you will have a blasty fun and reliable AV7 to ride while you make plans and save some $$$ as you hunt for a most excellent AV10 monster to load onto the frame (and still have the blasty little AV7 as backup for times you rethink the AV10 attack)

Yes - lower motor mount different - counter spring same same BUT might want to stuff it for a bit of tunability

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> don't av10's need like different mounting brackets and spring

> technology?

>

> i've never fucked with one, i just thought it was a bit harder than

> straight up building an engine and throwing it on

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> If a part of you wants to go fast now, take a afternoon to give that AV7

> jug a basic porting job

really, in all honesty this is the correct answer. ported moby with 2 balls is a 45 mph blaster with stock exhaust and miles of smiles.

even the stock crank with a basic piston port kit is a time bomb. i've seen them last a long time but i've seen a lot of them lunch the big end bearing. i don't think i'd build an av10 with a stock av7 crank but i guess technically you can.

ALEX PHILLIPS /

this is great advice. thank u

AV7 crank will fit to a AV10 but they do not like very high revs. They will not grenade on you, however it is harsh on the upper silentblocs, shakes a lot of fasteners loose, uncomfortable on looong rides, etc...

Bet it to get a previously enjoyed AV10 from Europe or a crate China knockoff - always be prepared to tear down and do a complete check plus new gaskets - MINIMUM - on either.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> > Rebel Moby Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > If a part of you wants to go fast now, take a afternoon to give that

> AV7

>

> > jug a basic porting job

>

> really, in all honesty this is the correct answer. ported moby with 2

> balls is a 45 mph blaster with stock exhaust and miles of smiles.

>

> even the stock crank with a basic piston port kit is a time bomb. i've

> seen them last a long time but i've seen a lot of them lunch the big end

> bearing. i don't think i'd build an av10 with a stock av7 crank but i

> guess technically you can.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account