Help Me Make My Magnum Faster

constantine gogos /

Hey all, the title probably explains it all. This is my first Ped, and after about a week I'd like to get a little speedier come spring so my 12 mile back road commute will go by a little faster. 50 would be great, 45 would probably be perfect, and 40 would certainly do it. I'd like to keep the engine itself pretty stock if possible so I don't kill the za50. My thought was bigger carb (15mm bing?) with better filter, and the side bleed estoril pipe seems to be highly recommended. I'd certainly consider a reed kit as well as that seems like a good learning experience. Please hit me with your knowledge and I'll continue to scour the site for info. I want to do this the right way friends.

20191008_172041.jpg

Re: Help Me Make My Magnum Faster

first things first, you need a new kickstand.

constantine gogos /

True, it got a little jacked up getting out of the truck.

There is a lot of speed info in the Moped Wiki.

constantine gogos /

I've looked though it, just always nice to ask about others setups and opinions about what does and doesn't work for them.

Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?

A 70cc kit ,a good pipe depending if you ride hills or flat land, A bigger carb/filter/manifold and a better head and you might need a better clutch.

constantine gogos /

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?

>

> A 70cc kit ,a good pipe depending if you ride hills or flat land, A

> bigger carb/filter/manifold and a better head and you might need a

> better clutch.

Probably 50 max, 45 would be ideal, and 40 adequate. I should have said it's on the flatter side here. Some hills and some can be steep but not enough to be a hindrance I think.

Terbo Speghetti /

You should just buy an e50 and build that. You'll hit 50 cheaper, easier, and with fewer headaches.

Two speeds don't make great first bikes.

> Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

> You should just buy an e50 and build that. You'll hit 50 cheaper,

> easier, and with fewer headaches.

>

> Two speeds don't make great first bikes.

I have to agree, ZA50 can be difficult for a first timer.

First bike I had was a ZA50. I did the old Treats PHBG 65cc party pack. I had no trouble until my seals blew out a year later. 2 speed is way more fun than an e50. If you not an avid mechanic, just get the Estoril and a 15bing and call it good. No matter what modifications you do you going to have to tune it. Read the tuning section in the wiki and see if it something you want to even do. An air leak or lean jetting is going to equal a bad time. Make sure it is something you and to do. If not. Just enjoy it as is.

Probably Fred /

> Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

>

>

> Two speeds don't make great first bikes.

I disagree

Za50s are a way better engine

Just a 35$ chamber on stock header, metal mesh filter, stock head tabs and ring sanded flush for more compression and squish:

7BF6E1DA-8C24-46A1-B81E-7600FA5FB6E0.jpeg

new pucks/shaft dampeners flipped second gear clutch, 41mph with way better takeoff then most kitted e50, kinda like a mini motorcycle:

858A6365-46FD-4A44-8CDB-D1860A6B6DCD.jpeg

Still runnin oil injection too,

constantine gogos /

So I think I may start small and work my way up. I'm thinking an estoril, and 15mm bing with a better filter to start(and new jets for tuning) . Then the flush head tabs and possibly the flipped second. I'll see what I get from all that, then I can decide if I want to go the kit route.

constantine gogos. Perfect. take you time and learn.

^ good call.

definitely get after those clutch pucks and flip second gear before doing any other performance mods. clutch pucks will disintegrate and kill your engine.

its really easy if you can borrow an impact wrench, or better yet go do the job at a friend's shop with one.

Probably Fred /

You can Remove nuts with impact Do not tighten any of the nuts with impact driver torque specifications in manual, do not hammer the lock-washer to the large nut unless it’s (the crank end) supported on the other side use pliers to bend it to nut,

Def new pucks and second gear flip first ! Avoid future headaches.

john cervini /

He bought the bike from me. Shift pucks have been replaced but second isn't flipped. I told him about Ken's stockish magnum and recommended that route. Message me anytime Constantine if you want help flipping second.

constantine gogos /

> john cervini Wrote:

> He bought the bike from me. Shift pucks have been replaced but second

> isn't flipped. I told him about Ken's stockish magnum and recommended

> that route. Message me anytime Constantine if you want help flipping

> second.

The bike is great by the way! I'm not trying to go super wild here. I want nice fun ride for a non thru way commute. I don't want to be at the point where I say I should have gotten a motorcycle or 150cc scooter haha.

Probably Fred /

> constantine gogos Wrote:

> > john cervini Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > He bought the bike from me. Shift pucks have been replaced but second

>

> > isn't flipped. I told him about Ken's stockish magnum and recommended

>

> > that route. Message me anytime Constantine if you want help flipping

>

> > second.

>

> The bike is great by the way! I'm not trying to go super wild here. I

> want nice fun ride for a non thru way commute. I don't want to be at the

> point where I say I should have gotten a motorcycle or 150cc scooter

> haha.

Without the second gear clutch flipped you do not have full and part throttle kick down like you do with a automatic transmission car.

The moment the transmission is open and pucks changed the clutch should be flipped to have that feature

john cervini /

Ken, I thought flipping second was only beneficial if you're adding power over stock. Am I misinformed?

Ken, why didn't Puch do this from the start at the factory do you think?

look into swapping sprockets, less teeth more tourq and higher acceleration, more teeth higher top speed

> john cervini Wrote:

> Ken, I thought flipping second was only beneficial if you're adding

> power over stock. Am I misinformed?

Helps all around. Stock or not. Who knows why they diddnt do it at the factory. Probably because they diddnt think of it.

constantine gogos /

> josh n Wrote:

> look into swapping sprockets, less teeth more tourq and higher

> acceleration, more teeth higher top speed

I'll definitely be looking into it, I'd like to do a couple other mods first and see how low and high end feel.

Jeffrey Strichart /

I bought a new Magnum sometime around 1980 give or take and by removing the stock air filter, changing the rear sprocket to a 40 and putting on an expansion chamber I hit 49 mph. No engine work. The guy who bought it from me ported it, put a bigger carb and intake on it and a larger front sprocket and exceeded 60 mph. So it can be done.

constantine gogos /

> Jeffrey Strichart Wrote:

> I bought a new Magnum sometime around 1980 give or take and by removing

> the stock air filter, changing the rear sprocket to a 40 and putting on

> an expansion chamber I hit 49 mph. No engine work. The guy who bought it

> from me ported it, put a bigger carb and intake on it and a larger front

> sprocket and exceeded 60 mph. So it can be done.

Do you recall how the low end was by chance? I'd like not to be crawling from stop lights. I've pretty much decided that I'll go bing 15 with a performance filter and probability an estoril side bleed. After I see how that is ill probably do the clutch flip, then think about gearing.

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

keep in mind that when someone says they went super fast on a stockish moped with minimal mods back in the day, it's probably just hot air.

Ya dude that was before GPS. I had a bike that everyone swears was going upper 50s. I was like nah...finally told the Dude to GPS it......43mph

It takes a lot more than just a few things to go that fast.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account