HOBBIT BELT WON'T QUIT THE SLIPS

Terbo Speghetti /

So my Hobbit runs great. Pulls hard and feels strong, but somewhere between 40 and 45mph, something in my transmission is letting go. Engine revs way up and I feel the belt hook back up when I let off the throttle.

Setup is a TJT, DOS race gears, DOS ramp plate, polini kit, Vforce reeds, oko 24, calibrata pipe,

I've tried every belt and tension setting you can come up with, currently running an OEM replacement from treats.

I've tried two different rear pulleys, one of them with a yellow contra from treats. The only change there was the same belt slip at a lower speed, ~40mph on the yellow spring, ~45mph on stock.

I have two working theories.

1. TJT pulley cheek is slightly larger than the cheek on the clutch bell side. Maybe the TJT is carrying the belt past the point it can grip the inner cheek?

2. "Pedal mode" spring is being compressed by a lateral force introduced to the gearbox by the new straight-cut race gears. Or just sheer brapp.

So has anyone had this problem?

I've got a spacer to replace the pedal mode spring, and I just ordered a new polini Camino variator from Belgium. So if it's either of those, I'll get it. I hope.

Now please tell me why I'm stupid and none of this will ever work.

Re: HOBBIT BELT WON'T QUIT THE SLIPS

Derbi piston port clutch bell can be made to fit hobbit I believe. Those have a taller profile than hobbit bell, like the cheek goes all the way to to the edge of the bell. When I was running a hobbit bell on my derbi it sometimes flipped the belt at high variation, I feel like that could've been the tjt pushing the belt over that edge of the cheek.

I've no experience with hobbit, but have you tried red contra? More force keeping rear pulley closed for more tensioning of the belt up front

I have heard of hobbits slipping out of engagement back into pedal mode on rippy shit, I believe trickmetric or someone was making a pedal mode delete thing.

Terbo Speghetti /

Thanks for the ideas! I've got one of the pedal mode delete spacers. Just need to put it in.

I don't think I want to try the red contra, since switching from the stock to yellow made the slip happen even sooner than before. The red one would probably have me slipping at about 20mph haha

Yeah the belt isn't "slipping" at all. it's the pedal engagement popping out of gear. Getting a belt to slip on a Hobbit would be a challenge. Maybe if you didn't put a contra in?

Yes to what Nick said I had a transmission that did that one. It's terrifying when it happens out of the blue. Swaped in another transmission and the problem is gone

Posted this in the wrong thread accidentally lol

I really want to find a stiffer spring for pedal mode so I can keep the function but not worry about slip.

Has anyone tried a stiffer spring? With the one-way bearing, keeping pedal mode is a pretty useful function

@jordan the belt flipping is typically an alignment thing.

Terbo Speghetti /

Yeah, I figured the spring delete issue was it, and it's working fine so far.

But I do miss it already. I'm interested to see if you come up with a stronger spring, Mike, I'd def pay good money for that.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account