Need advice for beefing up a PA50ii

Brand new to this. Previous owner threw on a killer exhaust, which ran great with him on it. But I'm a little heavier and I was hoping to get a little more out of this engine, since otherwise it runs great and hasn't given me any problem turning over. Only issue I have is starting from a dead stop or working my way up hills. Hoping there's some kind of limiter I can drill out or shave off, fuel additive I could try, or really anything to give it a little more kick without breaking the bank. I appreciate all the information I was able to find already, and thanks in advance for keeping me on two wheels!!

Re: Need advice for beefing up a PA50ii

You could change variator weights and clutch springs

Jack MeHoff /

Perfect, I'll look into that

What exhaust? Did the prev owner upjet the carb accordingly?

Ungapped rings to bind them all /

Stiffer clutch springs will engage at higher RPM and provide more power @ take-off.

Start with 1500rpm

After-market variators are easier to tune for the acceleration and top end you're looking for.

18 to 21g total weight is a good place to start with a DOS or TJT.

treatland does have these variator weights that fit in the stock 3 roller, in case you want a $10 option vs the $120 one (tjt).

Stock pa50II weights are 14g each, fyi.

You will want to get a good strap wrench and socket that fits the big nut on the variatior, I forget the size and can't get out to the garage right now, I'm sure someone here knows.

DR kit.

I just brap the big nut off with an impact. Generally unless the contra is worn out super bad the stock weights are great for a stock kit with a pipe. I would say some mild springs in the clutch, you will need a clutch puller and a pick or vise grips to install them.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account