Re: Gearing for Triped Microcar V1 with Polini Kit

Overpriced Parts /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Need 50% more gearing to get 30 mph! So maybe 11x 42-45 gears as well as better springs in the clutch,

I love when people say stock timing? That phrase means nothing,

What what they really mean is untouched timing/untouched magneto not timing set to stock specifications in manual,

And with a kit timing has to be set to the low end of the stock timing specifications!

Lower timing, maybe a bit Richer jetting to get cooler temps though 360F if it was sustained temperature on long full throttle runs would be great!

I had kitted v1 general that I worked on (The guy just slapped a kit on it then seized it got another kit and he was seizing again so he finally brought it to me to tune)

Man that thing shot to 390 head temps on full throttle runs quick so I had to lower the timing (as well as richen the jetting a bit) to get to sustained 375-380 F head temps for mile long full throttle runs,

Initial timing measured well passed 22° before top dead center timing for it was unchecked and the points were jumping all over the place due to a rusted rough point cam,

V1’s kinda suck to service the magneto and Time/tune it because they have fan shroud and fan that you have to remove before you Service/set/reset/tune the timing that can take several times to do so to get a perfect balance of good power yet cool temps,

If I were you I would service the magneto, points, smooth and grease point cam and everything and lower the timing at least a few degrees if it’s in the 20° range to start,

But be prepared to remove shroud and everything a few times so you could have good power as well as good temperatures

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account