Buzzards vs Barons Vogue Single Speed Build Off

Baron Von Hamilton /
1053A32A-BFAE-4510-B756-9449BDF01D9C.jpeg

Stephen Simmons and I have been talking about this for a while. We wanted to get similar bikes and see who can get the most gains from stock. We talked about bikes and wanted to do a Peugeot Single speed. We hit up DOS and they had a couple bikes that we thought would work. We scooped them up at the Swoops Rally last weekend and starter surveying what we had. This process is going to be slow for me but figured we would get this tread started since we already started to mess with them.

Re: Buzzards vs Barons Vogue Single Speed Build Off

Baron Von Hamilton /
9CE56CFB-9448-4C83-9EBA-1BDA48A7A1CD.jpeg

I like the police impounded numbers I am going to keep those.

I cleaned the carb oiled a few things up and added some gas. The Gurtner carb is kinda fucked. Well the cap and where the slide ride.

Tried to pedal start it and got a few pops. Hit it with some carb spray and it popped off. Has a bit of a 4 stroke up top but surprised it fired off. It is super crusty.

Vogue frames are sick

Baron Von Hamilton /

They so are! Crazy I did not think the front end would be a rigid.

Run Good. Idles like shit. But I was shocked by my first test run. Back brake was locking up and it was 4 stroking and it almost hit 35. So I’ll call this 35.

8B485AD4-2CBB-4067-B825-4616982F7D4A.png

I was walking when I took the screenshot.

The average speed I drove it at is the max of a lot of stock bikes.... hahah

This thing is fun.

I can’t wait to mess with it.

I am going to have to do lots of clean up. The powder coat is coming off the front wheel and the handle bars are pure rust. Pedal shaft is bent and so it the pedal arm. Definitely went down in the left side.(edited)

I dont think it is supposed to be rigid. I think nature made it that way. Moisture likes to creep down there. Rip them apart and free then up. Then use plastic bags and zip ties to make a skirt where a fork seal would go to stop water from getting back in. I have taken apart multiple fox and vogue models only to find this "mod" done haha.

Baron Von Hamilton /

Omg hahah too funny! Stepehn and I were talking about this last night. We could not figure out if they were suppose to be rigid or not.

Damn, six posts in and already learning secret Pug performance mods...

Hahaha, I had a Milani that was frozen and had become naturally rigid, then one day I smashed over a surprise pothole at night and viola forking forks again.

Tell Stephen I have a headlight for his. I'm gone until the 27th but can bring it to charlotte.

Baron Von Hamilton /

> Blake MD No PM Plz Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Tell Stephen I have a headlight for his. I'm gone until the 27th but can

> bring it to charlotte.

Will do. He is on the road now but going to post his stuff when he gets a chance.

Fuck yeah.

> Blake MD No PM Plz Wrote:

> Tell Stephen I have a headlight for his. I'm gone until the 27th but can

> bring it to charlotte.

Hell right!

I'll be home tomorrow to get pics of the starting point and HOPEFULLY dig up an exhaust I have somewhere so I can get a stock speed run. Stay tuned!

And just to be clear we will be modifying the stock parts only. No Kits or pipes. We may have to get a different carb because the top of both of our carbs are screwed up. With that being said both bikes came with 12mm Gurtner's so we are going to go with 14.12 Sha I think since they should be cheap to find if we don't have any. So yeah we taking it back to when there were NO performance parts! We'll use new bearings, seal, gaskets and rings of course but that's about it.

Cristian Luna /

This is so sick !

cant wait to lurk this thread

I have a 14:12 sha, but I made a tail light out of it...

Baron Von Hamilton /

> Charlie BUZZARD Wrote:

> I have a 14:12 sha, but I made a tail light out of it...

Haha ya leave that one be!

I am sure we can find a couple. People always pull them then toss them on a shelf somewhere.

I have a few north carolina nascar secrets for a bone stock 14.12 hmu QCB

stock peugeot reedblock : the restrictor plate of mopeds

nascar knowledge might apply here.

Balsa wood restrictor plates...

This is a pic of mine. Front forks need work of course and the tank has a few pin holes in the very bottom. I'm waiting on a pipe so I can get it running to get a base line. Next I'll be stripping in down to fix tank then I'll think on what to do with the engine.

IMG_20190912_161517.jpg

Baron Von Hamilton /

> Charlie BUZZARD Wrote:

> Balsa wood restrictor plates...

Damn that is my secret weapon.

Definitely going to address the reed block. It has been a while since I have seen the inside of one.....probably like 6 years? Idk.

Don’t have the heart to tear mine down yet. I keep taking hot laps around the block. I hit 35.4mph last night.....making it harder be ahead on the difference from start to finish.

What kind of race are we talking here? Both the clubs have jockey riders. Lol. Just too speed?

Baron Von Hamilton /

We can do that for sure! Also want to see who can make the biggest gains from stock. So if Stephen get +15 and I get +11...he got it. Plus whatever else we want to do. I am down. I just talked to him on the phone. We are hyped on this.

Travis King /

Forks on those are not supposed to be rigid. They are the standard euro forks that came on a tone of peugeot bikes. I got em on a much older 70's 104 and an 80's 105. They are pretty simple once you got them apart. Can't think of anything too weird from memory.

Stoked to see you guys doing this. Outside of porting and reed block, I am curious to see what you come up with staying with the single speed and stock pipe.

Baron Von Hamilton /

Travis I am stoked. It is all I can think about! I am going to be slower than Stepehn on this build but we have been talking a lot about it. Porting is going to get crazy. Well for me at least. We may have to buy an intake to get the SHA carb to work but that will probably be the only thing we buy. We want to do 14:12a so we can drill them out at a minimum. Gurtner is going to be hard to keep because neither of us have jets and there is no room to drill one. Kinda bummed we are going to do it but both of our Gurtners are fucked. But I feel like a 15:15 or 16:16 is a cop out.

Anyone who has links or has been down this road and would like to share anything is much appreciated. We have our ideas but previous gurus are always welcome to share in-site. With mopeds no matter what you do it has already been done. I know I would not be shit if it was not for the others that have came before me. I am not doing anything new. I’m just trying to play mopeds with my friends. Oh and expose my fuckups and victories to the forum.

Carve out the stock reed block and make a nice carbon reed dual stage with the stock metal reeds as the smaller flaps. It works killer, almost as good as the boysen reeds. Also a 14.12 goes on the stock 103 intake? I seem to remember mine just going right on with no issues. Obviously the standard 103 clutch mods are crucial, especially the starter clutch it helps a lot with the launch.

Baron Von Hamilton /

Cool I was thinking doing a dual stage reed block mod or triple whatever Jbot was doing on his hobbit. Stepehn tried it today and it would not fit because it was hitting the motor mounts or the case I can’t remember. Ya clutch mods are going to be critical.

There was this methhead who wound up with one of those purp vogue's that I wound up fixing a lot a few years ago. Guy had accidentally run it over, and then like 2 weeks after I fixed and returned it he brings it back after he ran it over AGAIN. Wtf.

But yea it was super comfy and quick for stock! And the separate swingarm I prefer to the 103 engine-in-swingarm style

I actually ended up with a Vogue recently too. I won’t be keeping it stock because the engine is roached and it needs a new crank, plus I’ll be on a variated engine, but I’m excited about this thread. Anyone know where I can get some tank decals for the vogue?