E50 stator hole opening up?

Hiya guys.

Curious if anyone can drop some knowledge on me

2 questions.

On a stock e50 points set up. Is it common to have to open the stator slots a bit with a dremel to achieve ideal timing for a random 70cc kit?

Also to clarify. The points should just be opening, once the timing mark lines up with the mark i made on my case?

I know newb lol

Re: E50 stator hole opening up?

You need to download the factory manual at Sunday morning motors .it will help a lot and no don't use a dremel on the flywheel.

Probably Fred /

> Scott Death Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hiya guys.

>

> Curious if anyone can drop some knowledge on me

>

> 2 questions.

>

> On a stock e50 points set up. Is it common to have to open the stator

> slots a bit with a dremel to achieve ideal timing for a random 70cc kit?

>

> Also to clarify. The points should just be opening, once the timing mark

> lines up with the mark i made on my case?

>

> I know newb lol

Set point gap at just past top dead center

Read this

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_timing

Not wondering about the points gap...

Thanks i guess lol?

Very helpful

> Scott Death Wrote:

> Not wondering about the points gap...

>

> Thanks i guess lol?

>

> Very helpful

So if you got no help then is it you need? What you asked made no real sense.

> Scott Death Wrote:

> Not wondering about the points gap...

>

> Thanks i guess lol?

>

> Very helpful

Because point gap has nothing to do with timing (sarcasm intended); whatever. And you’re doing it wrong. Do what Ken says, and read that link he gave you about Puch timing. Yes you need to dremmel your stator with a kit.

> Scott Death Wrote:

> On a stock e50 points set up. Is it common to have to open the stator

> slots a bit with a dremel to achieve ideal timing for a random 70cc kit?

>

Yes sometimes with stock motors too.

Probably Fred /

I had a friend of mine edit the puch timing page with more information and hopefully a better understanding how the stock ignition works, maintenance and tuning

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_timing

Thanks for getting it updated, Ken. That’s a good explanation.

Maybe some clarification will help.

Set the point gap at index, which is where the points are widest open at the center of the lobe of the timing cam. Accuracy here is important.

If the points do not open wide enough then you will have arcing at speed and the engine will four stroke and misfire.

If the points open too wide then they may not be closed enough to give good saturation in the exciter coil at speed and you get a feeble spark and misfiring as well as a lot of plug fouling.

With the points set either too wide or too narrow, you may have problems setting the spark initiation point (timing).

After gapping the points correctly you want to set the timing, at the indicated alignment of timing marks the points should be just starting to separate. Adjustment of this is usually performed by loosing the stator hold down screws and rotate the stator plate forward or backward until you find the sweet spot. Double check after locking it down by rotating the flywheel a couple of times and check.

If the initiation is not attainable you may need to lengthen the stator hold down screws slots a little. If the slots need a lot of lengthening then you would likely need to replace the points because the cam follower has worn out too much (or it is a shytty cheapo set of points).

The other method of getting the magic spot is to run without a key in the keyway, which can be sketchy if the taper for the flywheel to crank is not bone dry clean or has turned and has galled, it may slip while running. The key is only for alignment purposes, the actual grip is in the taper fit.

The other trouble with lengthening the slots too much or running without a key is that the points maybe opening when the magnets on the flywheel are not properly centered on the exciter coils poles, which will deliver a weakened spark.

Dwell is actually more accurate than a feeler guage.

Appriciate the detailed info

Sorry if my wording wasnt the best

Thanks fellas!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account