Vespa Grande... needs an airfilter and some love

scott norwood /

Vespa Grande with stock engine, CDI, SHA 13.13 carb w/ 66 jet, and some performance pipe I can't remember the name of.

I bought this thing in parts and put it together, got it running and it ran well. Decent acceleration, fast top end. At least from what I could tell with nothing to compare to. So It didn't have an air filter just pantyhose wrapped on the carb so I bought the "stock hi-flow" airfilter from treatland. Installing that killed the acceleration and max speed. So I bought some jets - 45, 55, and 60. Originally it had a 66. I installed the 55 today and it seemed to balance out the airfilter being on there but I wonder if I should just get a better air filter and THEN dial in the jet. Like this one- https://www.treatland.tv/vespa-malossi-high-flow-air-filter-p/vespa-malossi-filter-043687.htm Or go back to running no air filter and just pantyhose with the 66 jet?

Also... my exhaust pipe starts smoking after a few minutes of riding. It's not coming OUT of the exhaust but from the pipe itself. Like it's way too hot. Any ideas what would cause this?

Re: Vespa Grande... needs an airfilter and some love

> scott norwood Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Vespa Grande with stock engine, CDI, SHA 13.13 carb w/ 66 jet, and some

> performance pipe I can't remember the name of.

>

> I bought this thing in parts and put it together, got it running and it

> ran well. Decent acceleration, fast top end. At least from what I could

> tell with nothing to compare to. So It didn't have an air filter just

> pantyhose wrapped on the carb so I bought the "stock hi-flow" airfilter

> from treatland. Installing that killed the acceleration and max speed.

> So I bought some jets - 45, 55, and 60. Originally it had a 66. I

> installed the 55 today and it seemed to balance out the airfilter being

> on there but I wonder if I should just get a better air filter and THEN

> dial in the jet. Like this one-

> https://www.treatland.tv/vespa-malossi-high-flow-air-filter-p/vespa-malossi-filter-043687.htm

> Or go back to running no air filter and just pantyhose with the 66 jet?

>

> Also... my exhaust pipe starts smoking after a few minutes of riding.

> It's not coming OUT of the exhaust but from the pipe itself. Like it's

> way too hot. Any ideas what would cause this?

Sounds like reinventing the wheel .

It ran good enough for you to like it ? then leave well enough alone , unless you're change where and how you ride ( from hard streets to dusty dirt ) .

As for the pipe smoking , it's very commonn for hot things to burn off whatever might be on their surface , ie : old paint , cleaners or oils .

pantyhose are actually pretty restrictive.

that malossi filter is pretty great, should run about the same, real easy install.

sounds hot if your pipe is smoking but yeah they often get shit on em, it burns off. make sure theres no gas leak I guess, anything actively replenishing the stuff to burn off...

After seeing this I swapped out the filter material in my malossi filter to some red uni foam that I had. It seemed to run/accelerate better I dunno if it was in my head or my filter material was clogged/dirty.

D0131B17-1C49-41ED-A46E-9FCFA45A9F21.jpeg

i run that malossi hi flow stock style airbox on a 13.13 and bored out intake and patch. i really like it. they are a little louder than stock but that open louvered face is good for breathing deeper and I like being able to adjust airflow for different jetting and ambient air temps with both the foam filter density and optionally adding varying layers of the stock screen wafers in the mouth of the airbox

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account