REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

outatime andy /

Hear me out. SO I had this idea to increase the operation of the intake system on piston port engines. Using a small electric motor at very high rpm, and a mini propeller meant to blow air, it may be possible to keep a constant directional flow of air and mixture in the direction of the engine at low RPMs, increasing torque.

woahfast.jpg

The system would only require a battery wired to a switch and would last a long time. Some mini electric RC motors spin up to 100,000 RPM in 5 milliseconds. With the right propeller that outta keep the mixture moving towards the case. For piston ports, keeping more mixture in the case, and ready to enter the cylinder would technically raise power considerably. It would be even better of the speed of the motor could be tuned depending on if the moped is running in a lean or rich condition. It could either be combined with the air intake or a separate sealed connection. My only concern is combining electricity so close to the fuel, which could be very dangerous.

waterproffffff.jpg

But there are waterproof electric RC motors meant for underwater use that could possibly be a safer option. Even if only as a concept, what do you guys think? It'd be great if the 2 stroke experts of Moped Army could weigh in on this one.

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

You'd probably be better off by adding reeds. This is basically a less-efficient supercharger, and it would mostly just increase your fuel consumption.

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Youd Probably be better of just Powering your Drive Wheel with that or putting it onto the Crank.

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

Super chargers don't work on 2 strokes. it just blows the charge out of the exhaust.

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

That makes sense but there’s a chance it could be more mixture that would be pushed into the cylinder by the reverse wave in the pipe. Better than on my leg at least

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Andrew M Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That makes sense but there’s a chance it could be more mixture that

> would be pushed into the cylinder by the reverse wave in the pipe.

> Better than on my leg at least

This will not yield any positive results.

You are destroying the natural pumping action of the engine by forcing air into it. even on the right side of the charge, you are taking about ruining the natural resonance and flow patterns just to reduce a little blowback? Not to mention you now have a non-petroleum protected electric motor exposed to varying voltages and heat/vibration that can just eject the pieces of itself directly into your crank case.

The piston port 2t is one of the most simple, effective motor designs, you are not going to revolutionize it.

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

i mean superchargers definitely do work on 2 strokes but the amount of power it takes to run one, along with the complexity, added weight, etc. isn't going to pay off on a moped.

you can just use the natural pumping action of the engine and the pipe, with something like the 'jbot shampoo bottle' air box to accomplish the same thing.

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

Totally normal JBOT /

If you've ever worked with electric fans you'd know this is a no go.

Most likely you'd just run crazy lean, but you'd have to have a squirrel cage blower at least (edited)

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

you think that thing could push reasonable air velocities? to even matter?

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> you think that thing could push reasonable air velocities? to even

> matter?

Anythings possible with the bunny

download1.jpeg

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

outatime andy /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> you think that thing could push reasonable air velocities? to even

> matter?

Yeah I think it could. With a tube the same diameter as the propeller, the air wouldn’t be able to pass backwards past the spinning blades. There are motors that go much faster than the one below but it’s a good example. Skip to 1:45 to see the air displacement speeds.

(edited)

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

jonathan alvarez /

Put a e-bike hub motor on the front wheel, it's going to be more effective than your idea.

Think about why any of the electric turbos in the market really works. All are just for the looks, no power increase at all.

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

outatime andy /

There are compressed air super chargers that are extremely effective. On a moped it wouldn’t take much to provide a reasonable boost. All you would need is a compressed air tank, and adjustable valve. When air leaves a tank compressed to 3000 psi, it is as cold as -200 degrees F. Even without added compression, if the engine was drawing cold air at -50 F, the performance benefits would be huge because air is denser at colder temperatures. This would be pretty easy and I might give it a try. A switch could even be wired from the valve to the handle bars to control to flow. Could be none at all or FULL BOOST.

Where I got my info: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hotrod.com/articles/compressed-air-supercharging/amp/

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

Boooooooost!

So now you need an air tank and an on board compressor to endlessly boooooooooooost!

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

Dirty30 Dillon /

And how would you jet for a 100* change in incoming air temperature depending on where your switch was set?

Also, compressed air is going to leave via the route of least resistance, so it will back charge and go out the carb if the flow fills the crankcase.

You are coming up with solutions to problems that don't exist.

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

ok so now we need a dial-a-jet carb and were set.

Boooooooooooossssssstt!

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

outatime andy /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> And how would you jet for a 100* change in incoming air temperature

> depending on where your switch was set?

>

> Also, compressed air is going to leave via the route of least

> resistance, so it will back charge and go out the carb if the flow fills

> the crankcase.

>

> You are coming up with solutions to problems that don't exist.

Innovation, creativity, and DIY are part of the moped culture. If we wanted to automatically have a bike that could go 150mph we would go buy a motorcycle. But tuning, coming up with creative solutions, and working with a simple engine are all part of the experience. Everyone has a different set up, some like completely stock, and some like a modded out set up. I want to build my 70cc engine to produce higher horse power, as do a lot of people on here. Stop hating and focus on building your moped.

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

Is fuel injection on the horizon too?

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

outatime andy /

Here’s another one... how about using a bicycle type derailer shifting system to switch between multiple rear sprockets. Kinda like a 2 speed but you could change it whenever you want

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

> Andrew McGaffey Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Here’s another one... how about using a bicycle type derailer shifting

> system to switch between multiple rear sprockets. Kinda like a 2 speed

> but you could change it whenever you want

Look closely at those sprockets you speak of. Each tooth has a slight twist to it to facilitate gear changing. I cant imgagine trying to shift gears under hard excelleration either. And with a clutch engaged and an engine wound up things could get very ugly downshifting too.

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

Probably Fred /

> Andrew McGaffey Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > And how would you jet for a 100* change in incoming air temperature

>

> > depending on where your switch was set?

>

> >

>

> > Also, compressed air is going to leave via the route of least

>

> > resistance, so it will back charge and go out the carb if the flow

> fills

>

> > the crankcase.

>

> >

>

> > You are coming up with solutions to problems that don't exist.

>

> Innovation, creativity, and DIY are part of the moped culture. If we

> wanted to automatically have a bike that could go 150mph we would go buy

> a motorcycle. But tuning, coming up with creative solutions, and working

> with a simple engine are all part of the experience. Everyone has a

> different set up, some like completely stock, and some like a modded out

> set up. I want to build my 70cc engine to produce higher horse power, as

> do a lot of people on here. Stop hating and focus on building your

> moped.

Ya well a lot of us are tired of hearing about this supercharging and all this other stuff over and over from some noob when you could just have a 64cc polini kit with 15mm bing on a stock e50 bottom end (that has a horrible case match) that I built 12 years ago and still works and goes 57mph!

So when you’re done with all that bull crap your saying and you come close to the performance of this bike that took me a few hours to do in a friends driveway thinking it was going to be for him (but then he didn’t come up with the the funds so I kept it/bought him out) so do please post a video of your performance bike like this crap one handed cell phone video grasshopper :

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

More vids more vids.

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

I say go for it . Have fun on your journey , wherever it takes you .

Please document it along the way and don't even give the naysayers a chance to discourage you by asking for opinions . Like anything else , there will always be those that can't ...

We have others on this site that just do what they think up and then present it . Some are actually haled as genius .

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

outatime andy /

Thanks P D. I like the quote by Nelson Mandela "It always seems impossible until it's done". BTW I like your FA50!

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I say go for it . Have fun on your journey , wherever it takes you .

Lolz, like the hospital?

Chain derailer jams chain @ 30 mph while shifting gears and locks up rear wheel mid corner.

I couldn't resist.. it could happen.

Seriously, variable belt drives some with 2 or 3 varos have that covered. (edited)

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

Dirty30 Dillon /

> outatime andy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Innovation, creativity, and DIY are part of the moped culture. If we

> wanted to automatically have a bike that could go 150mph we would go buy

> a motorcycle. But tuning, coming up with creative solutions, and working

> with a simple engine are all part of the experience. Everyone has a

> different set up, some like completely stock, and some like a modded out

> set up. I want to build my 70cc engine to produce higher horse power, as

> do a lot of people on here. Stop hating and focus on building your

> moped.

You're right, I'll acquiesce your request on account of your in-depth knowledge of moped culture and tuning skills that have come up with innovations never before imagined in a mere 10-month span.

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

Totally normal JBOT /

I'm become more stupid while reading this thread

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm become more stupid while reading this thread

Good thing you bounce back , quick . ;)

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm become more stupid while reading this thread

and yet, we keep coming back for more.

to the OP:

you should post your good ideas in this thread, its called 'good ideas'

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,4279466

Re: REVOLUTIONARY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE?

> outatime andy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Here’s another one... how about using a bicycle type derailer shifting

> system to switch between multiple rear sprockets. Kinda like a 2 speed

> but you could change it whenever you want

what happens to the derailleur tensioner when on overrun/decel/engine braking?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account