Hi for everyone!
First of all, sorry about the lack of pedals on this engine, but in my country every motor below 50cc is considered as a Ciclomotor (Spanish word for moped).
Second, sorry about my english, is not my native language.
In the 90´s when mopeds were very popular here in Uruguay, a common modification to run on 1/4 mile races were installing watercooled Kawasaki AR80 cylinders on Hero Puch motors. It consisted of filling the cases to match the new cylinder, a very expensive work in a time when TIG machines were a rarity (even today are very few places that work with aluminium).
After a recent flood, a neighbor of mine put this engine to sell, I picked it up almost instantly. It was completely under water, but only superficial rust except on the top of the cylinder walls, they were very pitted.
It was partially dismantled when I bring it home, I mocked it up just for the pics. Note the homemade intake for a bigger-than-stock carb:
First, I took the clutch cover off, no oil were in it and water causes a lot of superficial rust:
I cleaned it with gas and some brushes and it came better than I expected, only the clutch pads, basket bushing and the clutch actuator are damaged by use:
Note the rust marks from the water:
At least the kickstart mechanism was cleaned and reassembled in just half an hour:
The rest of the engine took me two days to dismantle because I didn´t have a flywheel extractor. This engine came with an Autostart ignition, it has a reversed flywheel (compared to the other Hero Puch motors) with a toothed ring where the start motor engages. This flywheel uses a different extractor and it´s practically unobtainium here, fortunately it came apart with lot of penetrating oil and a few hammer taps over the crankshaft nut:
The 6 rivets holding the flywheel to the center are loose, I need to figure how to tighten them mantaining concentricity and without breaking anything:
The inside of the cases are pretty rough:
Here you can see the 3 pairs of gears: