Noped engine with steroids - Indian Hero Puch 3 sp with Kawasaki Ar80 cylinder

jonathan alvarez /

Hi for everyone!

First of all, sorry about the lack of pedals on this engine, but in my country every motor below 50cc is considered as a Ciclomotor (Spanish word for moped).

Second, sorry about my english, is not my native language.

In the 90´s when mopeds were very popular here in Uruguay, a common modification to run on 1/4 mile races were installing watercooled Kawasaki AR80 cylinders on Hero Puch motors. It consisted of filling the cases to match the new cylinder, a very expensive work in a time when TIG machines were a rarity (even today are very few places that work with aluminium).

After a recent flood, a neighbor of mine put this engine to sell, I picked it up almost instantly. It was completely under water, but only superficial rust except on the top of the cylinder walls, they were very pitted.

It was partially dismantled when I bring it home, I mocked it up just for the pics. Note the homemade intake for a bigger-than-stock carb:

First, I took the clutch cover off, no oil were in it and water causes a lot of superficial rust:

I cleaned it with gas and some brushes and it came better than I expected, only the clutch pads, basket bushing and the clutch actuator are damaged by use:

Note the rust marks from the water:

At least the kickstart mechanism was cleaned and reassembled in just half an hour:

The rest of the engine took me two days to dismantle because I didn´t have a flywheel extractor. This engine came with an Autostart ignition, it has a reversed flywheel (compared to the other Hero Puch motors) with a toothed ring where the start motor engages. This flywheel uses a different extractor and it´s practically unobtainium here, fortunately it came apart with lot of penetrating oil and a few hammer taps over the crankshaft nut:

The 6 rivets holding the flywheel to the center are loose, I need to figure how to tighten them mantaining concentricity and without breaking anything:

The inside of the cases are pretty rough:

Here you can see the 3 pairs of gears:

Re: Noped engine with steroids - Indian Hero Puch 3 sp with Kawasaki Ar80 cylinder

jonathan alvarez /

It's cleaning time!

First I removed some rough edges on the head and degreased/derusted the cylinder, water intake and the inside of the head, masked everything and painted it with a high temperature spray:

Tonight I'm gonna clean the inside of the cases and check some imperfections on the added material. Looks like the upper part of the two didn´t seal properly because there was a big quantity of sealer in the base of the cylinder.

This is the only photo I take of this area before splitting the cases:

More updates coming tomorrow.

Re: Noped engine with steroids - Indian Hero Puch 3 sp with Kawasaki Ar80 cylinder

jonathan alvarez /

I'm thinking on making another reeds cover with an intake to the side to put a 28 flatslide, maybe a bit bigger than needed, but is the smaller size I can get in this country dominated by chinese motorcycles, Ebay is not an option here because shipping costs and import taxes.

Early in the morning I bought an adjustable honing tool to see if I can get a near to perfect seal between the cylinder walls and the rings. If not, an oversize piston will be the next purchase. Luckily the piston installed is a V1L one, not very common but obtainable without major hassle(edited)

Super cool!!

Following, love seeing things go from rusty to clean.

wow this is great thanks for sharing!

jonathan alvarez /

Thanks for the support!

Tomorrow I will be posting more updates, in the meantime I'm thinking about the rest of the bike. Because I didn't have the original frame, I'm planning to use the original subframe with a Zanella Pocket frame (originally came with a V1HLKS engine):

The idea is to create something similar to a Puch Dart, but using the17" wheels and front suspension from a chinese bike like this:

Damn this is going to be such a rad bike. I love all the zanella bikes. I wish I could get my hands on one.

I'm losing my shit on this one.....sooo neato

Dirty30 Dillon /

This is very cool.

Wonder how that little clutch is gonna like being slipped like that cylinder's gonna need.

jonathan alvarez /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Damn this is going to be such a rad bike. I love all the zanella bikes.

> I wish I could get my hands on one.

I think what makes Zanellas so sweet, are all the mods available for them, big 51mm cylinders with exhaust boosters, 44mm cranks, all types of clutches, forged gears with different gear ratios, and a lot more. Argentinians made some cool shit really

jonathan alvarez /

Little update.

I cleaned the cases and the internals, looks like the heat of the welder warped the cases and the didn´t match properly. I need to figure how to solve that

The previous owner send me a photo of the bike ten years ago, it was customized for customs shows:

Now that I see these photos, I'm thinking this engine maybe never touches a racing track and was modified only for the looks, just inspired on the race modifications that were common twenty years ago.

believe it or not, i've saved engine cases that were warped before by heating them up to like 500 degrees and bolting them together, then using a propane torch to heat the warped area and squeezing them in a vise

i had a vespa case that warped like a potato chip after welding, i was able to squeeze it flat, engine went back together just fine with no air leaks.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Those Z50 Engines are quite cool, you forgot to Mention that it's a Manual 2 Speed.

Dirty30 Dillon /

As stated in the title, it's the 3-Speed Hero Puch version of the Z50.

jonathan alvarez /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> believe it or not, i've saved engine cases that were warped before by

> heating them up to like 500 degrees and bolting them together, then

> using a propane torch to heat the warped area and squeezing them in a

> vise

>

> i had a vespa case that warped like a potato chip after welding, i was

> able to squeeze it flat, engine went back together just fine with no air

> leaks.

Great tip! thank you!

Just one detail, 500 farenheit or 500 celsius?

jonathan alvarez /

> Chöschi21 C.K. Wrote:

> Those Z50 Engines are quite cool, you forgot to Mention that it's a

> Manual 2 Speed.

It's a Indian clone with 3 speed and electric start, you can see the 3 set of gears in the pictures. Basically the same cases as the 2 speed but different guts

That cardiogram swingarm is wild.

jonathan alvarez /

I don´t trust it on mild bumps anyway, It's just for the looks I think

500F i'm sorry forgot you're not in the one country that still uses F.

i wish i had pictures from doing it, when it happened i really didn't expect it to work. basically you get the entire cases close to being hot enough to move and just heat the location you want to move with a torch. It gets soft wherever you hit it with a torch and you'll be surprised how much it moves.

if you try to grind or machine them flat you'll have to cut off too much material and the shaft spacing will be all wrong

𝐿𝑖𝑘𝑎-𝐿𝑜𝑡𝑎𝑠𝑎𝑢𝑟 𝑀𝑒𝑔𝑎𝑝𝑢𝑠 🦖 /

Nice, how about some pics in the jug plz.

> jonathan alvarez Wrote:

> > Daniel '' Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Damn this is going to be such a rad bike. I love all the zanella

> bikes.

>

> > I wish I could get my hands on one.

>

> I think what makes Zanellas so sweet, are all the mods available for

> them, big 51mm cylinders with exhaust boosters, 44mm cranks, all types

> of clutches, forged gears with different gear ratios, and a lot more.

> Argentinians made some cool shit really

My question is why isn't someone importing all these rad zanella parts? Do they not swap over to a minarelli v1 or are they slightly different? I look on Mercado livre every now and then and am blown away by some of the stuff people beat into the ground and throw away.

jonathan alvarez /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> My question is why isn't someone importing all these rad zanella parts?

> Do they not swap over to a minarelli v1 or are they slightly different?

> I look on Mercado livre every now and then and am blown away by some of

> the stuff people beat into the ground and throw away.

I don´t really know why you only have Pietcard CDIs and not cylinders and other argentinian made pieces.

A lot of the Zanella V3 motor parts are compatible with the Minarelli V1, you can install this insane 48mm aluminium reed kit for example:

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-784706135-cilindro-ciclomotor-cativa-zanella-v3-competicion-_JM

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

This is sick!

Can you get a measurement on that clutch bushing? I have a single speed and i want to know if the bushing is the same on the other motors.

Is it 17x15x17?

jonathan alvarez /

The clutch bushing in my engine is toast, I need to get a new one. But I can tell you that the bushings are different Between the automatic and the manual speed one

When I get a replacement I can measure it for you, if I can find one...

jonathan alvarez /

Small update.

Next monday I'm going to buy new seals, bearings clutch disks and bushing. Until then, I'm trying to solve small details.

One of them is the intake, the PO make it facing to the front, but I need it facing to the side to clear the front wheel, so I cut it and rotate the tubing 90°. This allows to enlarge the opening to the reeds to get better flow:

The idea is to use this pwk 28 clone with a Jbot style air box:

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> jonathan alvarez Wrote:

> The clutch bushing in my engine is toast, I need to get a new one. But I

> can tell you that the bushings are different Between the automatic and

> the manual speed one

>

> When I get a replacement I can measure it for you, if I can find one...

Im also having a hard time finding a suitable bushing :/

Good luck!

Dirty30 Dillon /

If you have the ability to weld, I would build a new intake. The material used on the base is 25% of the thickness it should be to avoid warping.

jonathan alvarez /

The base looks very thin yes, but first I'm going to try it as is and if it warps I would make another one. The motor worked with it until now, so it cannot be that bad.

parallelogram swngarms, pfft., cardiogram swingarm - that gets my heart pumping

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account