How do you get a TJT Variator to fit on a Honda Hobbit Clutch Bell?

Hi Moped peeps,

I’ve searched for this question and answer but I can’t find it, I’m curious how everyone gets theirs to fit, Do they dremel the brass bushing or take a file to the clutch bell, do they need to have a perfect match or is there wiggle room for error?

With all the problems coming ahead (which I can’t weight for) of finding the right weights I wonder if theres anyone who has a perfect set up and technique to doing this and what are the consequences for cutting corners?

image.jpg
4259C7A8-EA1E-48A0-8C0C-5C2C60E61E47.jpeg

Re: How do you get a TJT Variator to fit on a Honda Hobbit Clutch Bell?

If it's just off by a bit, sand the bushing until it goes on and moves freely.

Check at the end of the hub before that to make sure theres no lip preventing the TJT from going on easily.

Weights are different for every bike and every setup.

Thanks!

I just got one today also. Initial impression on quality its not nearly as good as other variators (i.e polini) . Need to smooth out the high spots on the ramps. Rollers also look cheap, Here's a vid I found.

This video is the one that had me going, initially I’m not sure if one side should be trimmed as I’m not mechanically inclined so I automatically question which material is best to shave down, I figured the brass is thin and delicate so this guys video made sense to me at the moment but I wonder if his has slopes on his clutch bell after his technique and if that cause the internal bearing to wear out faster over time. I’m wondering if polishing the surface makes a difference as well after reducing the width of the internal brass bushing. I don’t know what the lifespan of a TJT Variator is and I’m surprised there’s not a video on more facts and explanations, the most experienced moped people only have short videos of the bike running or an initial problem with no follow up on they’re results.

It seems there is a ramplate made by treats for the tjt so that people don’t have to notch the stock Variator anymore, I wish there was an article or video on it giving more info from people who have used it successfully and what’s the differences.

When I was building my hobbit these weren’t out and I heard conflicting things about notching stock Variator and that TJt won’t work right but it will run and most people prefer it.

7859D57C-6D58-4B1A-B560-6F09946ADAD3.jpeg

For the record I’ve taken JBOTS advice by sanding it down and it’s working good, I don’t have strong enough sand paper but in 15 minutes with 280 it was half way there

Dirty30 Dillon /

Strong paper good, weak paper bad.

Look dude it's like this.

TJT is fine.

Casting isn't perfect but it's fine.

Clean it up. Nbd.

Stock crank doesn't like TJT because it can variated farther than the rear pulley, and then the belt pulls on the crank and it snaps.

I'm running a TJT from 2010 or so and it's fine. Had to replace the bushing but it's easy.

Rumpus plate from treats is the best because it makes the variator stay in the power even with a weak stock rear spring.

That video is NOT AT ALL the way to do it for fucks sake. Goddamn moron

Bushings are not in spec. Bushings are replaceable, the hub of the bell is not.

He just ruined that bell.

Now if he ever wants to replace the bushing, standard metric bushings will never fit and be wobbly as fuck.

That guy is a #1 fuckhead.

You can trim the bushing faster by using sticky sandpaper wrapped around a long reach socket, then spin in a drill, it'll take material off fast, so be careful.

As well, the bushing is bronze not brass. Brass is much too soft.

Tjts had a fucked bushing stock for awhile that would stick to the hub when it got hot. It was awful, so most folks replaced it with a split Teflon coated bushing that fit the shaft, but that idiot in the vid can't use that cuz he done fucked up his bell haha(edited)

Hey this shoe doesn't fit my foot.

BETTER CUT MY FOOT DOWN TO SIZE DURRRRRRRRR

ARRGGHHHH OWWWW THE PAIN!!!! SO MUCH BLOOD IM GETTING LIGHT HEADED AND ABOUT TO PASS OUT BUT AT LEAST MY SHOE FITS MY SKELETON FOOT

ANAL SEX IS GREAT BUT ITS SO DIFFICULT TO DO BECAUSE ITS SO TOGHT. SO I CUT MY PEEN TO FIT THE BUTTHOLE AHHH SO MUCH BETTER I AM SMART I EILL MAKE A YOURUBE VIDEO OF YHIS SND I WILL HELP PEOPLE

I'm just using allegory to explain that whenever one is doing mating of parts for slip fit, generally shafts should remain static since they are cut to a specific standard size.

99% of the time one will modify the female part of an assembly rather than modifying the male if the parts don't fit. Especially if one part is replaceable and the other is not.

OG Crazy Wayne /

I suggest you remove the bushing first and mount it with bearing Loctite so it does not move.

I had one that the bushing walked out of the TJ t housing.

If the bushing fits a little tight on the clutch shaft just use a brake hone or sand it with a flapper.

Don't make it fit loose' it will do that on its own just get it so it moves with just the weight of itself if the shaft was vertical.

No, do not add loctite.

Your TJT had that shitty bushing I was talking about. Those walk out because they stick on the clutch bell. I had it happen to me 2x, it's those bushings. After I swapped to Teflon ones, never stuck or walked again

OG Crazy Wayne /

Oh my God I did something wrong and it's still working after 1500 miles.........

Okay it's your turn JBot you can post five or six more rants till you're happy

Cool info! Thanks

I have the U.S. rear pulley hobbit attached already and a spare euro version. I heard conflicting things about the rear pulley spring and was thinking I needed to buy the super stiff red rear pulley at treats. It’s a whole new can of worms for me, so it’s good to know the stock can work fine.

F04C2CA1-FCDE-4C9B-BBA7-798303D1FB19.jpeg

> OG Crazy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Oh my God I did something wrong and it's still working after 1500

> miles.........

>

> Okay it's your turn JBot you can post five or six more rants till you're

> happy

Of course it works. But it's so wrong. So wrong.

Yes I can.

But I'm plenty happy.

I free myself of impure and disgusting repulsive thoughts when posting on this forum. Kinda like "Skin of Evil" from Star Trek The Next Generation, the aliens split their species, one species being enlightened and pure, and the other species a cast off their evil thoughts, sludgy and ooozy, petty and abusive... I am Armus

well, that's me on MA. I dump my garbage here.

But if made ya too mad,

Just go to your account page and select "Block" button, then a list will come up and just select me.

No prob.

But you still did wrong and you should get rid of that YouTube video

IMG_6585.JPG

(edited)

OG Crazy Wayne /

Sorry you're so upset but my tjt came with that silly metal Teflon coated bushing and that was the one that slipped out oh my God.

So I replaced it with a bronze bushing and use the stud bearing Mount Loctite for good measure.

€=0

JBOT. I like your style!

No way was I going to shave down the hub.

Although I have shaved down many variators for Honda 4Ts.

Wayne is always transparent to me.

Jbot is right

It was such a pia to sand that pos down. That I paid how much for again ? Don't remind me please. Took forever.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Skin of Evil is a great episode.

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hey this shoe doesn't fit my foot.

>

> BETTER CUT MY FOOT DOWN TO SIZE DURRRRRRRRR

>

> ARRGGHHHH OWWWW THE PAIN!!!! SO MUCH BLOOD IM GETTING LIGHT HEADED AND

> ABOUT TO PASS OUT BUT AT LEAST MY SHOE FITS MY SKELETON FOOT

I spit my coffee everywhere when I read this.

220 on a socket w couple of passes. Fits perfect. Just like jbot says

58B0614B-4BE4-4FA9-90CD-5203EA99C7FE.jpeg

Nice! I’m going to do that tomorrow

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account