Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractions

Graham Motzing /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

nice!

yeah one thing i know for sure is that the puch cdi trigger coil puts out too much juice, that is what fries the trimming capacitor on the pietcard CDI when you hook up a 2041 to a puch stator. i was working with some really baller EE's back in texas when i was playing with this stuff and we cut apart 3 fried CDI boxes that had been on Puch CDI and they were all failed due to over voltage of the trigger trim capacitor.

when the CDI fries the trimming capacitor, i think it lets the input voltage go too high and that is why the timing jumps around and goes all crazy on that setup as they are dying until it finaly kills the semiconductor.

i don't know a whole lot about magnet theory either, even though i did pass like 4 classes during which it was covered, haha... just like most college classes you do a bunch of time domain dif-eq shit but you dont learn anything you can fucking use.

I did do some experimenting with setting timing welding on tabs to the outside of flywheel at one point - obviously you have too J. The pulse doesn't start where the tab starts and it doesn't start where it ends, and the distance of the tab changes it too... If you think about it, the external style pickups that read off a tab, the pickup is the magnet and the tab is just plain steel, so this kind of pickup is basically inverterd where the pickup is plain steel and its reading off the passing magenet, so just like changing the welded on the outside flywheel tab changes the timing signal, this one changing the core of the coil will change timing signal.

either way these things are pretty dumb, they are just looking for voltage to get above a certain point and the SCR or whatever transistor thingy blows its load. the trick is just keeping the components all alive and working across a huge rpm/voltage range.

i think the main problem with the puch cdi pickup is too fine of wire and too many turns, it makes too much voltage for the 'standard CDI' stuff to work. I'd like to try rewinding one at some point to make less volts but if you can accomplish the same thing by cutting the tab down with electrical wyzzardy, thats a lot less work.

or just throw the MBK one on there and don't look back, which is where i'm at right now

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsTopic by: JBOT Admin JBOT Admin 05/21/19 07:32PM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: JBOT Admin JBOT Admin 05/21/19 07:56PM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: JBOT Admin JBOT Admin 05/21/19 08:17PM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: Mike Boyd Mike Boyd 05/21/19 08:42PM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: JBOT Admin JBOT Admin 05/21/19 09:05PM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: pat splat pat splat 05/21/19 08:54PM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: Thomas TPRF Thomas TPRF 05/22/19 09:28AM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: JBOT Admin JBOT Admin 05/22/19 10:46AM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: P D P D 05/22/19 03:22PM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: JBOT Admin JBOT Admin 05/22/19 04:31PM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: JBOT Admin JBOT Admin 05/22/19 05:53PM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: Baron Von Moped Baron Von Moped 05/22/19 10:01AM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: Graham Motzing Graham Motzing 05/23/19 10:50AM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: JBOT Admin JBOT Admin 05/23/19 11:07AM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: Graham Motzing Graham Motzing 05/23/19 11:52AM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: Daniel '' Daniel '' 05/23/19 10:48PM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: Graham Motzing Graham Motzing 05/24/19 02:42PM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: JBOT Admin JBOT Admin 05/24/19 07:10PM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: Deadped Ryan Deadped Ryan 05/24/19 01:19AM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: JBOT Admin JBOT Admin 05/24/19 01:59AM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: JBOT Admin JBOT Admin 05/24/19 11:43AM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: Thomas TPRF Thomas TPRF 05/24/19 12:15PM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: JBOT Admin JBOT Admin 05/24/19 12:18PM
  Re: Treats puch cdi trigger prob? idea for better performance with fucking fractionsRe: Thomas TPRF Thomas TPRF 05/24/19 12:22PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account