how to "sipe" brake shoes

I just saw this in another thread, didnt want to thread jack, so i am making a new thread...

how do you "Sipe" your brake shoes for better stopping power?

Re: how to "sipe" brake shoes

I believe what you are referring to is the idea of slotting your brake pads to allow for more contact patches, in turn effecting braking power. Something like this https://www.treatland.tv/treatland-s-SUPER-HIGH-QUALITY-brake-shoes-80x20-p/groovy-pads-10057-80x20-c.htm

yes exactly. ok, so ill just buy the treats pads then. I read that Jbot sipes his shoes in another thread, but if i can just buy new shoes and get the same effect for 30$ or so, id rather go that route.

shoot, and i just realized i forgot to buy shoes for my spring build. its going to be a fun 4/20!

sipe

/sīp/

noun

a groove or channel in the tread of a tire to improve its grip.

Use a dremel cutting disc or a 1/8 straight bit and just plunge cut it.

Just do it outside and wear a respirator.

Isn't there a specific direction you should cut the grooves with the direction they're supposed to make contact in

I just do it, don't pay much attention. Either way seems fine.

Brakes run cooler and clutches lock up nicer

> Joe Chang Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Isn't there a specific direction you should cut the grooves with the

> direction they're supposed to make contact in

Logically , the direction of the groove start to the inside and end to the outside of the drum . Considering rotation , the start of the groove should be ahead of the groove end . Make sense ? ;)

Any water or dust would then be more prone to find an easier way out

But it doesn't matter at all from someone who does this all the time

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> But it doesn't matter at all from someone who does this all the time

Not mattering may be true . I only offered the logical course . :)

I do it all the time, too. Thin cutting disc on an air powered grinder. I don't pay attention to the direction, either.

If you wanna get really tricky, look at the way your shoes are wearing before you pull them off the brake plate.

The leading edge of the shoe will have more wear than the other. That's the main point of contact on the drum. Call it the high spot. Label the shoes with a sharpie so you put them on in the same spot.

Sand that high spot down, blending it into the trailing edge of the shoe, so you get more of the shoe to contact the drum.

You'll have to take it apart and check again after riding awhile to know how much contact you're getting, but you should notice better braking immediately.

I've had shoes where the trailing end looks like it's never even touched the drum, and the brakes sucked, and after matching the pads and siping them, would, y'know, actually stop.

Also, sand the inner drum while you have it apart, to remove the shine.

Anonymous User /
scootertrash
2E3D15E0-9FF7-48D6-B30B-2B5F02A8BB9C.jpeg

Hi-prafromance brake spring too

kevin Smellaflange /

GURU rebel moby did this a while back

new people need to understand it...

it could save your skin from the road-rash highway of life.

I agree. I've heard so many people complaining about how shitty drum brakes are. But with a half hours worth of effort, they'll work perfect.

Oh, get some good compression-less cables and good levers, too...

So are you saying you cut the grooves at an angle across the shoes, or perpendicular to the shoes? If someone has an image of a shoe they've cut, please post it. It would be good to get a visual.

Anonymous User /
scootertrash
B32F11AF-C641-482D-8782-1D982908D383.jpeg

Just slice some angles

Angles. And they don't have to be perfectly spaced apart. Don't over think it. Just grind 'em.

kevin Smellaflange /

buy 4 pairs for each moped...

they will wear out quicker...

obviously no one knows when...only you jump on your brakes...no one on the forum can answer that question...they aren't in control of your braking.

Anonymous User /
scootertrash

Good to know

I used to always do this, I havent in a while. It does seem to help, but usually if the brakes feel shitty its cuz they're worn out or glazed over. I'm also not going super fast. Actually that's probably around the time i stopped doing this to brakes. Huh

I've been in the habit of starting to brake long before I get to the sign or light or ...

I've never been one to favor stoppies . ;)

> P D Wrote:

> I've been in the habit of starting to brake long before I get to the

> sign or light or ...

>

> I've never been one to favor stoppies . ;)

Several years ago, when I lived by Panama City, FL, I finished my MC Endorsement riding test with a stoppie. I got a perfect score. The instructor just shook his head.

Thanks for the pic, Scootertrash. That's exactly how I was thinking.

They don't wear out quicker at all.

That is not correct.

I've never swapped a hobbit clutch or brake with sipes.

Anonymous User /
scootertrash

Along with the vent cuts, file the edges to put the grip at the center,

88EF2645-99D1-43CF-9A58-28BDED2D1B5D.jpeg
C6C540D3-A712-4E7B-AD67-E161F4081F6B.jpeg

I found a coil spring that fits across, tightens the cable and lever a bit more for quicker response.

72CF327C-F063-46C3-B009-C5E7DE9EAA5A.jpeg

The pads can be shimmed out with a chip of metal if ur pads are worn beyond the tolerance. The last few sets that I adjusted with a .5mm tab, I drilled a hole thru the center and tack welded it to the pad end where there is a crimped on steel piece.

Anonymous User /
scootertrash

Annnnnhhh the coil spring don’t fit the wheel hub.. I squeezed the correct spring inthe vice trying to tighten it a fuzz more. It’s alright action, I have a hardened one from a new set of ebc that I’d like to try.

E1F7BEB6-373B-4409-BDE1-F11900092D33.jpeg
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account