mocking up tomos top end with puch piston.

Hopefully soon this will be my first attempt at top end modifications.

Squish: Piston was initially dead even, but I put a spacer in there and it measures just shy of 1mm squish. Figure this will be okay with a stock head.

20190413_004250-Copy.jpg

After buying and breaking piston rings for a different airsal piston I just threw the puch piston in it. It seems to be a really good fit but might be a little loose in there. ...(I know what I did wrong with the rings. I forgot to file the gap a little. they were on there but couldn't get it into the jug. was impatient....)

At TDC you can also see the piston flaps stick out a little into the intake. Assuming I should cut that back. Any advice here?

20190413_004653-Copy.jpg

At BDC it looks really good and have a good gap to widen the exhaust port. Transfer ports match up perfect.

20190413_005144-Copy.jpg

I will probably just try to get it running first before I start drilling stuff out but still want to post this.

Questions/ concerns.

1.) Piston intake window.... Wouldn't air be pushed out the window during the compression cycle also? .. I guess that is what reeds are for? Basically, should I put a window? Any design recommendations?

2.) Anything else I should consider doing? I don't want to do anything crazy just yet but is there any other basic things I should think about when it comes to cylinder modification. Will this (puch piston, etc.) even work

Eventually I will get into the transfer ports

Re: mocking up tomos top end with puch piston.

theres good info on tomos porting in the wiki.

That looks to be one of the “faster” stock Tomos kits. Those intakes save a lot of porting time. Notch the piston skirt where it does not clear and cut a window in the piston and it should be good.

that little bit of cover up on the top isn't going to make much difference but you definitely want to cut a big window or 2 windows into the piston

you'll get more mileage out of porting the intake hole further down towards the crankcase, but windows in the piston will make it a 360 deg intake no matter what

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account