Performance Vespa grande?

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

I've got a vespa grande that I've been planning to do some performance to for a while. The second owner "de-restricted the pipe" which is true because the pipe has been cut and re-welded and it seems to be de-restricted. Where should I start? I've already got a 13.13 and hi-flow air filter by mallossi. Do I need to do anything to the clutch bell before anything else or am I good to go? I wanna know where to start.

Re: Performance Vespa grande?

Josiah Radebaugh /

I figure since the goal is 40-45... Clutch bell maybe... Anyway. Porting, might consider a 14.12. And some variation mods

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I figure since the goal is 40-45... Clutch bell maybe... Anyway.

> Porting, might consider a 14.12. And some variation mods

1) Modifying the clutch bell will not increase any performance.

2) Porting the intake patch and cutting the crank for increased duration helps a lot, but the stock US Vespa cylinders are pretty sad and erratically timed/ported. Most fail to open the ports at BDC or have a giant squish... or both.

3) The 14.12 will not fit and is actually a smaller ID carb. The 13.13 is also useless unless you have opened the intake spigot to match.

If you want 40-45, I think the simplest way is going to be a nice circuit pipe, a 43mm kit and some basic intake patch and inlet porting work.

There is SO much vespa info in the wiki. Read it thoroughly because Vespa's are unique in a lot of ways from most other motors on mopeds.

+1 for slap on a malossi kit and lie that you go 45

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

This may be a dumb question, but how difficult would it be to put a Vespa grande engine on a ciao?

The engine is the same in both bikes.

the cylinder head is different, bravo/grande cylinder head don't fit in a ciao frame

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> the cylinder head is different, bravo/grande cylinder head don't fit in

> a ciao frame

Oops, forgot about that part.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

thanks

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account