Ring & Exhaust Side Lubrication

Ungapped rings to bind them all /

How to get better lubricaton to the lower ring and bottom/ exhaust side of the cylinder? How often should rings be checked or changed to avoid destroying kit? Should they be periodically soaked in oil or other preventative maintenance?

Re: Ring & Exhaust Side Lubrication

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Generally speaking. just basic maintenance, and proper assembly. There is no special procedure one must take to lubricate the piston rings other than: Using good quality 2 stroke oil mixed at the proper ratio, making sure you are tuned and jetted correctly, making sure ring gap and piston are within spec, and changing pistons and rings at the proper intervals.

I'm sure certain cylinders and kits out there benefit from modifications pertaining specifically to exhaust side lubrication though.

Louis Brunskill /

Using oil with a small amount of castor oil in it. Like 10% or less. Klotz makes oil like that. The castor leaves behind a bit of residue. Aka protection. Don't use it all the time or it'll gum ya up.. maybe just as a every 3rd tank of fuel.

Modern 2t oils are really good and don't need none of that crazy fish oil flimflam. maxima and blendzall both have pretty good castor blends that don't gum up but if you're not running alcohol and crazy high compression that is just a waste of money.

the best way to keep your rings alive is to make sure you are tuned properly, if you want to maximize engine health keep the temps cool and the rpms low at the expense of a little bit of power.

plated aluminum cylinders also run cooler and last a lot longer than a cast iron one. Cast iron cylinders/ kits are only good for about 5000 miles on a moped before they need to be bored and honed to an oversize piston. Stock cast iron cylinders are good for maybe 8-10k depending on the engine, with a ring replacement about halfway through.

The best thing one can do to lessen the likelihood of scratching shit up is to chamfer (assuming you're jetted right and have timing set right). Chamfer every sharp edge (except ringlands), piston and jug

I run my hotdog fingers all over the parts without looking at them. Feeling around for sharp edges.

Oh hi lil sharp guyee. You gotta get SMOOTHED.

Think about it like this. If you were to put a piston into your butt, you could use all the lube in the world but those sharp edges are gonna have you crapping blood for months. But if it's smooth, you'd be in pure bliss with no consequences except from THE LORDs vicious wrath which you'll deserve.

I've never gotten any kind of smear or scuffing or scoring since I've chamfered errything. There is zero downside. I usually do a mix of a very light chamfer with the dremel then 220 paper.

"Think about it like this. If you were to put a piston into your butt, you could use all the lube in the world but those sharp edges are gonna have you crapping blood for months. But if it's smooth, you'd be in pure bliss with no consequences except from THE LORDs vicious wrath which you'll deserve. "

"Is this really love or am I just kidding myself ?"

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account