Single ring vs double ring pistons

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

What is the performance difference between the 2? I’m just looking for a new kit for my av10

Re: Single ring vs double ring pistons

Chöschi21 C.K. /

2 means more power in the lower RPM's and less wear/blowby, 1 Ring means more power in higher RPM's and less wear on the cylinder, you have to change the Ring more often. If you aren't revving more than 10-10500rpm id say 2 Rings are better.

Less friction with one ring, but better heat transfer with two.

Really interred in this, wonder if I should just rering my maxi or replqce with a different piston singles ring. I want to rev out to 12k if possible

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I will always say 2...

Every single ring lasted less than a season one just 2 weeks...

It looked like a missing center pin or it caught the pin in the transfer.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Yup, but they wear quite fast too, most of them get Blow by very fast. 2 Rings are also more forgiving with a damaged or just worn Cylinder.

two heavy rings will 'float' at high rpm and give you blow by as well. the drag is not insignificant but apples to apples i doubt you would notice it.

any of the kits designed for higher rpm (if its a well designed kit) ought to have a 1 ring piston and light rings.

the ring wear isn't that bad, the really racey shit yeah you might only get 10-20 hours out of a ring, but you're talking the really crazy shit. most of the 'street' fast 50 kits will last you long enough that the ring won't be the first thing to fail.

I'll never do a ringland ported single ring on a high revving cast iron cyl again. The added pressure against the cyl wall really beats the crap out of the bore fast.

Jonathan Feldman /

I'm not sure if it's a rumor or actual fact but I've been told that dual rings shed heat better than single rings. Something like the top ring takes 60% of the heat and the lower takes 40%. Once again.. not sure how accurate that actually is.

I'm a fan of dual rings. In the time I've fucked with mopeds I've always been happier with kitted bikes that have a broad rpm powerband and don't need to rev to the moon ... and often times those cylinders that fit that niche ended up being dual ring.

Obviously French 50cc screamer is almost guranteed to be single ring to help ya widdle out those 10k+ rpms.

Overpriced Parts /

Ya people want to have really high rpm but my lower RPM bikes that go 60 mph last for 10 + years, you guys are so dumb for wanting high rpm’s,! Why have it short life, on these bikes why would you guys want to change piston rings and bearings every few months when you could have the same speed and HP and last for 10 years by just lowering the RPM, every people wanting to go 12, 13,or 14 k RPM on a moped are as dumb as Dumb as a box of rocks!

I got 200,000 miles on two cycle motor enduro and and 2t moped bikes that go 9,5k rpm orlesss but ultra screaming 2t bikes or go kart whatever to put out every HP possible last hp possible no nothing many of the videos I post were built 10-12 years ago and still run because I’m not a dumbass and spin them past the RPM double the stock RPM that they were designed to only 50% of the RPM of stock dead designe so when you’re driving around with your super double the RPM and hp bike and you get stuck I will will screw you,

if you can make the same horse power at lower RPM and enjoy like I did or you save thousands, I mean thousands over the years because I didn’t spin 12 to 14,000 RPM,

Ispin at 9-95 RPM and blew away Hondas, Suzukis I kept up with 100 Kaw100s you guys are so stupid,

Spin your high rpm’s and work on your bikes every month or two or listen to my posts and have a bike that last 10 years and you don’t have to do nothing!

You ok Kent?

Chöschi21 C.K. /

> Ispin at 9-95 RPM and blew away Hondas, Suzukis I kept up with 100

> Kaw100s you guys are so stupid,

Well, no, we aren't stupid, you just must be a Genius to get ypur Mopeds to perform the same at 9 RPM as we do at 10'000.

But realy, if you are at the Point were you can't get any more Power out of it you have to go up in RPM's, if you don't you also have to Gear taller and loose Performance, i am at about 9'000rpm@30mph, and it works fine.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I'd argue that sometimes being a dumbass is more fun.

To some extent i would agree with you Ken, but your holy-er than thou attitude is getting pretty old. Just present your advice for what it is.....advice. You speak condescendingly as though your word is law. Nobody is forcing you to post on here...so if your'e going to help, do it with compassion, or go be an old fart somewhere else.

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's easy to have a bike last ten years when they spend most of the year tucked away and ridden to the corner and back.

We've seen the same 3 videos from Ken for the 7 years I have been on this site. Now, instead of every reply containing timing measurements for puch ignitions, it's just insults about how dumb every one else is.

Neat

Jonathan Feldman /

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You ok Kent?

For real. Hit the brakes Roff. Everything is fine.. breathe in... breathe out.

Overpriced Parts /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It's easy to have a bike last ten years when they spend most of the year

> tucked away and ridden to the corner and back.

>

> We've seen the same 3 videos from Ken for the 7 years I have been on

> this site. Now, instead of every reply containing timing measurements

> for puch ignitions, it's just insults about how dumb every one else is.

>

> Neat

Ya I’m cranky some times/most times about hi rpm it’s a sore spot for me because I’ve fixed so many of these these high rpm bikes people built that I don’t touch them now, they’re just not designed to go at 12,000 RPM, everything/crank flexes (even if you glue the crank bearings to the case like Ive done on my hi rpm e50 builds), plus you get clutch problems,

Those dumb one handheld videos I made years ago (more then 3) friend of mine posted on his channel a few years ago show were bikes built 10 or more years ago and still run great, I made other videos but why bother posting them!

around the corner for me is 9.9 miles where I live with 45 to 55mph roads, and on my on my personal bikes all are plated and used year around, none sit in a corner very few have less than 20,000 miles on them and most have original kits (with maintance/ring changes)

Can’t the same with hi rpm bikes A couple weeks after the tune and then there still problems/excessive wear, Hp and torque at 9k can be as fast as the same 12k rpm with 50-75% less wear

Just so sick of hearing this fastest pipe, fastest kit, fastest carb high rpm on a puch, Italian or Tomos moped type bull crap when you can have a bike just as fast and doesn’t have to spin like that,

we’re not racing motocross that change pistons every race,

It’s just the same thing over and over, the highest RPM, the highest rpm everybody wants hi rpm,

That's their choice.

Revving is fun.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Hp and Torque cant be the same at 9'000 as it can be at 12'000, the higher rpms will give you more Power when tuned properly.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Ever had a stuck clutch 9000 is too high... Mine are mostly torque monsters made to cope with the mt terrain

Not one will do over 45.

They can however keep me out of the marbles and take a 9% grade with my 210 lbs on the bike still 30 mph on the climb.

i have to agree with ken on this, all atitudes aside. my bikes have never spun more the 10k, and i had a reliable e50. i put 3 to 4k thousand miles on that motor and never needed to change the ring. tore it down before i sold it and everything looked great. bike had a top speed of 50mph. i ran that thing full blast ALOT. single ring dmp 70cc.

most larger 2 strokes are dual rings due to the fact that they dont move as fast up and down the bore. every other 2 stroke i have worked on was a dual ring, mopeds are the only single ring ive encountered. mopeds are also the only engine ive spun 10k on that was a single cyl....

Richard Eberline /

Ken Roff is the real deal, I rode his bikes. Most of the people on this site are posers.

All of Kens bikes runs on a regular bases. Most people lie about speed to be cool and accepted. I say show me what you got, Roffman is one of the best tuners in the USA.

Who cares?

Kens got strong opinions.

Doesn't mean he's the fastest or the best tuner. Ken does what's right for Ken in his bikes.

Single rings are great, 2 rings are great, high rev is great, moderate rev is great. None of this matters.

I love revvy bikes. I love grunters.

All have their place

agree with JBOT

getting mad over small bikes is dumb as fuck. we're all on here cause we love small engines and its a small world anyways. why rock the boat?

No I'm all in for rocking the boat.

Y'all are gonna drown cuz I'm pushing you overboard, ya fucking ballast bitches.

Then I'm gonna take my single ring outboard and rev to 12k when I rip dicks all the way to shore.

Ken don't surf

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account