slower accel but does 65ish - metra hobbit

so i finally got my hobbit timed, or running pretty well at least. need to pull the plug today and see how it looks... have had a small intake leak for the past couple of short rides, re-positioned the hose clamp and now she doesnt want to idle LOL tuned with the leak i guess... will mess with the a/f to start.

anyway, looking for more acceleration. i know she has to have it.

PA50-II, derbi metra kit, mikuni TM 24 flatside, derbi variator (3 weights in? i think), hpi mini rotor, sidebleed mlm pipe (iirc?). she's fast, dont get me wrong. just the power band and accel doesnt pull like i thought it would :/ I just sold a hobbit with a dr kit on it and although she would top out around 45 or so, when that power band hit you can feel the poweeerrrr! wheelie power. now my hobbit is cafe built so no wheelies but not a lot in the acceleration department either. i barely beat my grom in a race :(

Besides getting it to idle - rn it wants to die under a certain rpm, what else to do for more accel ? variator weights? gears ?

Re: slower accel but does 65ish - metra hobbit

Dirty30 Dillon /

Sounds like you need some clutch springs and variator tuning

Rear pulley mods?

Clutch stall rpm?

#1 issue with hobbits is belt position. Mod vari to drop belt down to the boss at rest (just off the boss by 1mm max)

And mod rear pulley to close more (grind rivets/weld and shave down)

Belt should sit outside of pulley by 2mm or more.

Also what belt are you using?

Please don't say BX. They suck shit

And the other hobbitty issue is falling out of the power. Kills midrange.

To solve generally you need a stronger spring, or a special curved ramp plate like the tjt rumpus plate to resist up shifting.

Get a tjt with rumpus and don't look back.

cool i'll check into the tjt

tbh i have no idea what belt im running. over the past 2.5 years ive been buying and installing parts here and there and now that it's fianlly just about done i cant recall half the stuff! LOL

i "think" i have clutch springs but dont recall... lemme look her over and see if i cant grind off the rivets for the belt mod

Get your head in the game shoobS.

hahaha

its probably a dumb/obvious suggestion but midrange carb tuning? those TM's never seem to four stroke in the midrange so you think you're tuned good but you actually arent... i've surprised myself on a couple builds saying 'what if i go down a pilot jet' and holy shit the thing wakes up.

love me some miky carbs but they can be really stupid about running 'good enough' and not telling you something is wrong.

If you fall way out of the power it will make your bike sound like it has a carb tuning problem.

I chased that shit for awhile

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If you fall way out of the power it will make your bike sound like it

> has a carb tuning problem.

>

> I chased that shit for awhile

^ yep! And vice versa. I had my hobbit tuned perfectly then went to a rally where the elevation increased by 4000 ft. The bike seemed like the vario weights were all wrong and any hill would send the temps over 400° because i was always lugging the engine. Down jetted a few sizes and everything was great again.

havent had a chance to mess with it, but i snapped a pic last night. waiting for the weather to clear up here in MD. fingers crossed for this weekend and i'll report back..

hobbitfull3.jpg

I second the carb tuning but also definitely check your clutch, belt adjustment and contra.

Link for that fairing? EBay?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Ya gotta pull that fairing back towards the bars, those cutouts in the side are meant to be tite to the bars.

And you're gonna get some wild reflection at night with the headlight that far back.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account