Pipe question

The I’m modding this pipe to fit my grande when I cut it apart I noticed this grated piece of sheetmetal welded in the pipe. What’s it for? Should I keep it or remove it?

103FE4AF-D72D-47A8-8B2C-01AED89170E8.jpeg
2DC3A98B-EE99-4640-92C2-C15355DA9E24.jpeg

Re: Pipe question

Dirty30 Dillon /

It really common in scooter pipes to baffle with perforated cones or sections of cones.

In this case, I think it relates to avoiding resonance in the material, and is probably not worth removing.

I’ll preface this with saying I’m only repeating what I’ve read......

apparently sometimes the perforated baffles help widen the power band as above a certain gas velocity they have less of an effect?

Sounds iffy to me, but I don’t have the materials or time handy to test the idea.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Thomas TPRF Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I’ll preface this with saying I’m only repeating what I’ve read......

>

> apparently sometimes the perforated baffles help widen the power band as

> above a certain gas velocity they have less of an effect?

>

> Sounds iffy to me, but I don’t have the materials or time handy to test

> the idea.

I'm going to second Thomas on this. If you look at pipe dynos you can see that the ones with the perforated cones have much better over-rev

Thanks for the input, I’ll leave it in there.(edited)

That's cool to know, I assumed it was in there to meet regulations since you tend to see them in the restricted Euro market pipes. Like a band-aid to give it a li'l more quiet.

I just cut that pipe up for a Honda aero 80, sounds great and feels like it will be a ripper once it's dialed in. I'm sure I'll be buying another one soon, great hack and weld pipe at an awesome price.

The 'grates' also arrest sparks very effectively . ;)

Overpriced Parts /

I guess I’m just old school, I disagree with anything that’s put inside of a expansion chamber, I remove everything, I want it to reflect back the pulses the way a chamber is suppose to,

09DA37F6-FFBB-4F4A-852F-00A5886B0035.gif

I don’t care if something is a little louder or tinnie sounding in a chamber, two stroke noises make me smile

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> I guess I’m just old school, I disagree with anything that’s put inside

> of a expansion chamber, I remove everything, I want it to reflect back

> the pulses the way a chamber is suppose to,

>

> I don’t care if something is a little louder or tinnie sounding in a

> chamber, two stroke noises make me smile

That's not old school thinking .

The grates we're seeing in this thread seem to be housed in the baffle/silencer , which comes into play after the expansion chamber . So , it shouldn't effect the harmonics of the chamber very much , if at all .

The grated piece is welded to the convergent cone in the expansion chamber, you can see the heat marks from the weld on the treats pic.(edited)

> - Joe - Wrote:

> The grated piece is welded to the convergent cone in the expansion

> chamber, you can see the heat marks from the weld on the treats pic.

Wouldn't that put the grate right against the side of the cone ?

Maybe I'm missing something ?

Yeah it’s welded against the cone, only on one side of the cone. So half of the cone has the grate. The pic is taken from the inlet side. Here’s what was cut off.(edited)

E3633F57-D339-4BB3-8C8A-4A721AC1B311.jpeg

I must be old school too , Ken . ;)

Who'da thunk it ? LOL

Learn something new , every day .

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account