Tomos 4-pole cdi setup on an e50

I've been researching extensively but i cant fine anything concrete on the matter.

I know the 2-coil cdi setup works but iam curious to know if this setup works. you have to ditch the keyway and hand time but does the trigger and timing curve function the same way with the reversed rotation of the fly wheel?

tomos-CDI-PRO-PAK-2T.jpg

Re: Tomos 4-pole cdi setup on an e50

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

This would be interesting if it worked, because then you could use these on a flatreed

yup. works great!

pair with a parmakit box for maximum awesome.

the stock CDI that shipped on those in the early A55's is restricted at about 9000 rpm.

this is hands down the best bolt on puch CDI jamz. i think more people don't talk about it because they want to hoard them.

oh yeah, also before the parma box came out, there were no good no limit/curve options, so all these were kinda hated on.

Thanks Graham you always come thru.

brandon just pm'd me to ask me a question about the rotation... it occured to me that i've never ran this on an E50, just on a ZA50 so i cant say for sure that it works. Worst case i think flipping the stator over on the 2-bolts that secure it to the base plate, it should have enough clearance to do that.

I have all the parts to try this sometime, a stock E50 and a full 4 coil getup. not sure when i'd get around to it but i am definitely curious now.

i switched my flat track race bike to KTM inner rotor but it wouldn't be too had to throw the A55 junk on there.

The only thing i see that might not allow that is the trigger, it looks like it protrudes more on one side but i could just be the picture.

there is no trigger, just one of the 4 coils is wrapped with finer/more turns wire. There is a little plastic junction box thingy that sticks up. If i get some time in the shop this week i'll pull it out and see if it flips.

i'm pretty good with '2 coil' style stators and how they work but i really don't know jack shit about radial pole stators.

Revo stator on a tomos stator plate with the tomos magneto works with the puch keyway

todd amundson /

Did this yesterday. Shawn at Myron’s let it go for pretty cheap. The coil said nothing on it but looks Permakit. Clockwise rotation, found where it fired, and set timing.

Only problem is setting up for pull starting. If you make tangs that come off the flywheel, you need to make damn sure a puller will still screw on there after welding or bolting.

Anywho, works on E50 no problem

B029FCB1-92FB-4A12-812B-753B02F5FA06.jpeg
114A09B5-03F7-415E-B01D-48FD6301C7A6.jpeg
DD3E22F2-EA9A-4175-904D-D17AC4B4DF75.jpeg

Awesome. did you have to flip the coil on the stator or was it plug and play?

todd amundson /

Nah the shit just bolts on.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

So it doesnt care which way you spin it? Shweet!

As for welding/running a lot of electric current throught the flywheel, i heard that it can mess with the magnets/polarity? I had a flywheel puller strip out the threads on a flywheel, i was considering welding the puller to it, but was advised against it for that reason.

Sweet!! Have you ran it yet todd? I read a thread on here about the curve maybe retarding on the low end and advancing up top because of the reversed polarity.

Maybe iam overthinking this shyte. your the man for taking the leap for the rest of us.(edited)

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account