Proma GP installation/noob questions

Hey guys just got my Proma GP and I have some questions about installing it. I know it should be pretty straightforward but:

1. it came with no gasket - is that normal? I thought it'd come w/ one. do any of you run yours without one?

2. here comes the really dumb question:

the baffle came separate in two pieces and it's filled with a type of straw-like material. am I supposed to remove that? cause it won't line up as is. attaching pic to show what I mean

Re: Proma GP installation/noob questions

1. It doesnt come with one you need to buy it separately

2. there's no attached picture, but from your description I'd say you're describing the baffle packing which is what dampens the sound. Don't remove it, you're just doing something wrong.

Pic for reference. Almost looks like it might be damaged?

IMG_8979.JPG

A clean shot of the baffle tube end and the inside of the cover plate ,please .

not quite sure what all that means tbh but i took a bunch of pics so here's some

IMG_8982.JPG
IMG_8983.JPG
IMG_8984.JPG

more

IMG_8985.JPG
IMG_8986.JPG
IMG_8987.JPG

aaaand two more

IMG_8988.JPG
IMG_8989.JPG

Can't simply push the silver tube onto the pipe baffle plate ?

pm'd. do you mean to basically force it on? i probably could but not easily. bit nervous to break the thing

Dude, just shove it in there. Its going to break, soon I bet. Remember, it is a moped.

haha yeah i just bought the first one of these that i've bought since they quit making them black... bummer, that black paint was awesome.

yeah they totally changed the silencer design, mine had the same issue. too bad because the old silencer was great, really well made and it secured with a snap ring.

you gotta put the studs through the two holes, then shove that aluminum outer tube until it goes over the cap, then shove it it on. get the nuts on there (i'd use some loctite) and torque them down. you can probably over tighten them to where the aluminum tube actually jams over the end of the caps, so stop before that happens but get them good and tight.

Depending on how it works, i might go back in and put a bead of silicone sealant where that goes together and really seal it up.

shame they changed things, i see treats reviews saying the silencers break... which was never a problem with the old ones, they were super well made and never gave me any trouble.

either way, its a great pipe and you'll be happy with the performance, the sound might be even better now that the silencer is bigger

Cram iT!

Yup I had to force mine together in the same way. Used an m6 washer, then an m6 lock washer, and then a nylon M6 locknut to keep it tight.

^^^I did the old double nut trick with red lock tight. Dude was like my pipe is cracked and hanging off. I was like na, just lost a nut. They slide over pretty easy. I doubt you would break it.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Another thing, you need to address on most pipes I've seen, is to make sure the flange, that mates to the cylinder is dead flat. Sometimes it's an easy fix, but most of the time it takes a bit of work. This usually can't be fixed by using a thick gasket to make up the difference because after several heat cycles it shrinks and it exacerbates the problem. Obviously both mating surfaces have to be flat with each other and the openings also matched for good flow.

the nice part is that the proma gp's usually (well, at least, they used to) are pretty dead flat. they braze that seam instead of welding it so it isn't warped like it is on pretty much every other exhaust.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account