I had some free time today and was able to get some stuff done.
I never cared for the look of the plastic tool box covers that go with this frame and wanted to see if the old style would fit.
I got this green cover from cheetahchrome and it fits without having to remove the seat post mount from the frame.
All I had to cut off were the tabs that the plastic cover fit to. I will have to cut the shock mount holes on the tool box or enlarge them because my frame has tubes welded to the frame for the shock bolt. I think the green and black go together nicely.
I got the launch lever linkage done
I had to make a couple different ones to get it right. I don't have a welder (yet) so I used some threaded rod. I heated it with mapp and bent it in a couple spots till I was able to secure it to a bracket I made from aluminum plate. The bracket also keeps the polini spring mount from rotating.
The threaded rod is grade 10.9 so it should be strong enough for now.
I did a leak down test with my new plug and got it up to 7 psi and after ten minutes had lost less than 1 psi so I figured it was good to go. I had problems before withthe tester so I jb welded up all the fittings before hand just to be sure and checked the tester first and then the engine.
I made a new timing tool from a cut up spark plug filled with jb weld. Rather than epoxy the dial indicator into it I drilled out the jb to just under the size of the immovable part of the stem and slowly dremeled it out until I could twist the gauge in to where it would not move
I also drilled a small hole in the side so the compression from the engine could escape and not affect the reading
I got the timing set to 1.2mm btdc.
I already changed out the main jet to a 96 and set the screws out to spec after ensuring the float was set correctly. I mixed up some gas and filled the tank.It was getting late and i was determined to get this thing running today.
I have serious spacing issues with the pedal sprockets and I havent figured out a workaround on that so I tried spinning the rear wheel up on the stand. It wanted to start but I wasnt able to get that flywheel moving fast enough so on to the drill. The flywheel nut I'm using has the water pump pulley part on the end and no way to attach a socket so I cut some flats on it and fit a socket to it. Sure enough, it fired right up after a few seconds of spinning.
I let it idle for a few minutes then I slowly gave it gas and got it to start revving up and engage the clutch and rear wheel. I watched all the spinning bits to make sure everything looked okay.Seemed to idle fine. I was so happy and excited to hear it running. I wanted to get the camera and shoot a video of it running but saw it was after 8 and realized I still have to get ready for work in the morning and feed the little ones so I shut it down.
I took the few pics later on.
I will have to wait till the weekend to start messing with it some more
Hopefully ride it soon