Re: Attempt to cast a cylinder

♣Slew Foot♣ /

My buddy Bruce used to do high quality aluminum casting and the way they do it in-house is they use that lost wax method to make a sand molds they vibrate the bins of sand to make a coating they melt the wax out and then use that as the mold now the only thing they do that really makes a difference and high quality is that the keep it heated and under pressure when it's cooling so it's slowly cools and it creates a crystalline structure that which makes it harder and more durable...

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Not remember you going to sleeve it with an iron sleeve and then if you can find a place get it nicka Saledsalad after you port it really fancy...

Douglas Binder /

Alex and I have both been looking into doing the Nickel Silicon Carbide plating ourselves. I've been producing very hard plating but still need to work on the aluminum adhesion. Tonight I tried replacing the silicon carbide with Boron Nitrate. Still really hard but more slippery.

Re: Failure to cast a cylinder

Douglas Binder /

Well boys and girls, I have news. This weekend I attempted to plate my latest cylinder. I had been doing a number of plating experiments and learned that the initial step of bonding to the aluminum, can be tricky. I had gotten it down to where I was happy with the bond so I went ahead and plated the cylinder. This was a nickel silicon carbide plating. I was diamond honing it to the proper diameter when the plating let go. The bike was being set up to compete in a land speed racing event that is held in Maine in the middle of July. It is possible that I can cast a new cylinder, get it plated, finish up the fuel injection, and make some changes to the aerodynamics in time for this meet, -- or -- , I can set this project aside and work on my newest project.

IMG_20190527_133913426.jpg

I chose the newest project.

> Douglas Binder Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I chose the newest project.

You should put that motor in your ped . You might achieve some kind of speed record . LOL

If you're running outta time there's lots of plating companies.

Don't know if diy is your only self imposed way here

Douglas Binder /

Not so much that. I wanted to see if I could get a single speed 50cc into the 70mph range. I hold a course record of a few hundredths shy of 63 so there's that. More importantly, I have wanted this particular type of airplane since they came out in the 80s and I now have one in my barn. I will probably return to land speed racing, but I'm going to give it a break right now while I pursue flying.

i know squat about airplanes but that looks like a heavy duty money pit. what has to happen to make that flight worthy?regardless, your a bad ass for going in on it and i dont doubt that you can make it happen. just make sure you invest in a good parachute. ;)

You've wanted one since the late 80's, well you have it now. It's in your barn and not going anywhere. Crack on with the moped and make us all proud ;-)

ah man that thing is pretty cool, at least you're still messing with two strokes! looks kindof like a rotax 583?

Douglas Binder /

Rotax 582.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account