3d printed hard to find parts

Clay Forrey /

its been a while since ive been on this forum, i had to quit spending money on mopeds for a while and focus on work more. anyways, in that time ive gotten into 3d printing pretty heavily, and always thought mopeds would benefit from this process. are there any parts out there that someone would want duplicated that are hard to find? I can offer one free for your troubles if it seems like something i can sell. currently i print some dash instrument cluster pieces i modeled that are pretty intricate and have to be printed in pieces then assembled. no one makes these in the aftermarket and that is basically what i am after. i use a few different materials, nylon with carbon fibers, tpu (soft and harder polyurethane many colors) , abs in many colors. the tpu will work for gaskets/ handgrips and is fuel/oil resistant, the nylon/carbon is extremely strong and durable.

dash cluster v48.jpg
IMG_20181025_201704.jpg
IMG_20181008_173013.jpg

Re: 3d printed hard to find parts

Clay Forrey /

offset polyurethane bushings or motor mounts. handgrips with stupid shit written on them. intakes. reed blocks. velocity stacks etc.

dash.jpg
IMG_20181025_201629.jpg

Whats up clay, rad to see you posting again, funny you should post this, i just pulled the trigger, uh, wednesday? on a Creality Ender 3 to start getting into this too. I've had a couple buddies buy Prusa MK3's over the summer and i think the printers are finally at the point where a dumb 'ME' like myself can actually spend more time designing and engineering and less time fucking with the damn thing trying to get it to print good.

This Guy is getting super rad on a land speed maxi build and kinda pushed me over the edge on getting my own printer. I've also been using an FDM machine at my new job quite a bit lately and feeling a lot more comfortable with the technology.

I have a 10 year backlog of 3d models, everything from cylinders to variator parts, that i've been waiting to print. I also just moved out to a farm and i've got the room to set up my metal casting furnace again, so i'm pretty stoked to see where this goes.

Clay Forrey /

graham

those are pretty solid machines, a guy in the shop complex has one. i only got mine for instant gratification while learning 3d cad. then i found out how useful they are, especially the tpu and nylon. you may want to build an enclusure to stabilize the temps during printing.

bas

some nice stuff on that thread

I need footrests and a plastic flywheel cover.

Clay Forrey /

Sure.

Qt50 Battery boxes would be legit

that grip that you posted, the black one, is that direct-printed TPU? how are you smoothing it?

Josiah Radebaugh /

Custom Tail light lenses? Air filters/boxes? Custom tire valve caps? Headlight buckets? Speedometer faces and needles... That's actually the one thing that would be incredably usefull to me is a needle for a Peugeot speedometer! Mine fell off a while back.

honda hobbit headlight (bucket and ring) and foot rests(likely will be 2 parts due to size)

Clay Forrey /

graham

the black grip is carbonx (nylon with carbon). i ran a pretty low layer height on that one to really make the letters stick out nicely with no support. its not a soft grip though, its rigid. i recommend ninjaflex for grips, it comes in many colors. theres some 3d printing stuff on my ig clayforrey if you want to see some more.

everyone else

if you post a picture i can tell you whether or not i can do it, but unless you dimension it or draw it (in cad) you are gonna have to send it to me.

Clay Forrey /

Here's a power pack for my snowboarding sweatshirt. It's 22 ah like a small car. Maybe 3 of the those will work for a ped?

Good idea

IMG_20181029_164227.jpg

wow just checked out that instagram, pretty rad shit all around.

so you've got a stratasys, is that a dimension? are you hacking cartridges? the one we have at work wont let you control jack shit and it only prints in ABS, plus 260 each for 1kg cartridges is brutal.

Clay Forrey /

i was using the stratasys for building the ltd dash's but have had nothing but problems with it. i got an eeprom chip programmer to run generic filament. the hotend came apart so i bought an aftermarket ($1k) hotend and calibrated it. i made a few prints then he thermocouple wire broke. i replaced it with a generic heater cartridge, and now it wont hold temp, overshoots, etc. i gave up on it and listed it on ebay.

in a month or so im gonna buy a tronxy x5s400 , enclose it, maybe swap a hotend on it, and print ultem peek etc on it. if i sell a couple more dash's ill be set. anyone have a 78-ford ltd lol?

which printer do you have at work? you can absolutely hack those things and print other materials if its similar to mine

Can you print me off a 3d printer like yours please?

Do you have a 3d scanner that you would use to replicate the parts, or would you model them by hand?

yah we have a 1200 dimension, they pay like a kajillion bucks a year for a service plan, also we use it 'by the book' since its not my money. the eeprom programmers can be made real easy out of an arduino and i've got a few of those, so i might just make one next time we have an empty cartridge, but i also don't really want to fuck it up running personal shit. just one service call is more $$ than my whole Ender 3

the dimension cant run jack shit, basically just does ABS and the support material which is stupid because you can't even turn it off, and it prints support material all over the place even when it isn't needed. The software is also super locked down, basically just press print and that is about all the control you get over it, 2 different resolution and 3 internal fill settings. It works pretty good for what it is, doesn't see much use, and it does appear to be pretty reliable and decent print quality, but there is only so much you can do with your work's machine.

my Ender 3 should be here sometime next week from China. Cant wait to get it running, i've been modelling shit all week for it.

I'm gonna go grab some acetone today and try to try vapor smoothing on some parts for work, see how that goes. gotta show some marketing folks what ive been working on the last two weeks and it would be cool to have it smooth and professional looking, not looking like some science fair project.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> yah we have a 1200 dimension, they pay like a kajillion bucks a year for

> a service plan, also we use it 'by the book' since its not my money.

> the eeprom programmers can be made real easy out of an arduino and i've

> got a few of those, so i might just make one next time we have an empty

> cartridge, but i also don't really want to fuck it up running personal

> shit. just one service call is more $$ than my whole Ender 3

>

> the dimension cant run jack shit, basically just does ABS and the

> support material which is stupid because you can't even turn it off, and

> it prints support material all over the place even when it isn't needed.

> The software is also super locked down, basically just press print and

> that is about all the control you get over it, 2 different resolution

> and 3 internal fill settings. It works pretty good for what it is,

> doesn't see much use, and it does appear to be pretty reliable and

> decent print quality, but there is only so much you can do with your

> work's machine.

>

> my Ender 3 should be here sometime next week from China. Cant wait to

> get it running, i've been modelling shit all week for it.

>

> I'm gonna go grab some acetone today and try to try vapor smoothing on

> some parts for work, see how that goes. gotta show some marketing folks

> what ive been working on the last two weeks and it would be cool to have

> it smooth and professional looking, not looking like some science fair

> project.

You should be able to adjust where it lays down support by going into the support options in Insight, I do it all the time. The cost of material is insane with these printers though. We run ours by the book with the service plan also.

Clay Forrey /

i model everything by hand

Clay Forrey /

with the dimensions you can re write the firmware and reboot the computer when you change the settings. a guy i have dealt with had a couple hard drives routed to the outside so he could easily switch between materials. i believe the nozzles are hardened so you could run carbon stuff. that said, im over stratasys printers.

yeah i don't have 'insight', for that matter i don't have any insight whatsoever into what this goddamn thing is doing. its like the microwave of 3d printers, only with fewer controls, you just send it a STL file and press go.

we are using a program to control it called Catalyst EX, its just a really simple GUI with about 6 settings in it.

likewise, the stratasys hardware is pretty nice but by the time you do all the jerking around to make it work, and the cost of consumables if anything breaks... open source platforms are obviously the way to go.

this is one of those things that upper management types get taken out to a strip club by a salesman and drop 80,k screwing over the engineering team, thanks dummies.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Can you print me off a 3d printer like yours please?

+1... PayPal ready.(edited)

Clay Forrey /
IMG_20181101_100940.jpg

I wish I could print another printer, mine however, is made from wood.

Clay Forrey /

Graham, tell your boss I'll build him a better one for 50k

yeah but will you take him out and pay for 7 lap dances?

too bad, we already blew the budget... it will be cool when i start bringing in printed parts made on a printer that costs less than we pay for one goddamn cartridge!

i like the box, mine is gonna run in my office so i might not need it but if i do build one, that looks nice.

Donald Wilson /

Sachs 505 airbox?

^ yeah that is on my list eventually. would need someone to send me one i don't have any.

I just did this SHA air filter adapter so you can run the common and cheap 35mm Uni filter on your SHA. Its got a velocity stack on the inside too!!

I have to make a few changes to help it print better then i'm gonna put it up on thingaverse for anyone who wants to make it. Prototype in PLA but i think i'm going to make it out of ABS for real use, and coat it with epoxy or urethane so it is fuel proof.

SHAadapter.jpg

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I printed parts for my printer to make it capable of printing other parts for my printer so i will be able print hard to print parts, for my printer.

Printception

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account