Dialing in HPI mini rotor on e50

Charles McCusker /

So I did search using MA function and google, just putting it out there.

Fresh engine rebuild, I got everything set up based on HPI instructions. Surprisingly I got everything to fire up and running no problem out of the gate, zero leaks. Started heat cycling the engine on the stand yesterday. Today I am working on timing. It's very close to 17* btdc, but when I move the stator plate I think I'm chasing my tail because timing doesn't really seem to move much when adjusting the stator plate. Am I missing something or could it be my timing light just being an old piece of shit?

I'm at the point now that I kinda just want to run it and tune timing off temp because it's running and starting just fine. Am I going to run into an issue breaking in the engine if timing is too advanced, even if I don't let it get too hot?

Just for info I'm running DMP AJH with quad malossi reeds and mikuni tm24 with a 165 main jet and 12.5 idle jet and as a start it's running great.

Can any more experienced people give me their advice? thanks all. (edited)

Re: Dialing in HPI mini rotor on e50

EH 📣FCC of the QCB /

Your going to have to measure crank rotation if you move the staterplate it changes where the crank fires in the roatation but it will always fire at the timing marks.

Let’s say you set it at 18* and advanc the stater plate to 20*. It will look exactly the same on the gun even tho it now fires in a different crank position.

Hope that makes sense.

> Baron Von Hamilton Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It will look exactly the same on the gun even tho it now fires in a different

> crank position.

Yep you'll need to make your own marks on the case of the engine or somewhere that wont move with the stator. Use a sharpie to make a mark, or use some mechanics wire to make a pointer. If you just compare the mark on the flywheel + mark on the stator, it will always pulse at the same spot. (edited)

Charles McCusker /

Ya that makes perfect sense. I was lucky and the timing mark on the flywheel lines up with the dot next the hpi designation firing line. So no making my own mark for me I guess.

I was actually marking on the case, and moving the stator and the adjustment didn't seem to do anything. Maybe it was just too late and I shouldn't try to time mopeds after a full day of work and then a few beers. I'll take a crack at it when i run home for lunch.

Thanks!

Haha that is very possible!

I usually time mine as close as I can, then just tweak it based on temp and performance. I swear I can feel it better than I can measure it, if that makes sense. Don't get too caught up in number world, the real proof is riding it. (edited)

Charles McCusker /

Ha, exactly! the thing runs well enough whether I retard or advance it from the initial 2mm btdc setup so I'll just put where I think I'm right and just start running it down the street.

Charles McCusker /

Alright. Checked it tonight after work. I dialed it in right the first time based off the mark on the crank but after a few i was second guessing myself and got all out of wack.

So basically in a nutshell. My initial timing based on hpi instructions put me almost at their mark at 2mm btdc. The little punch mark next to the line was actually where it was firing. So i got lucky it was that close. Fired it up and put my timing light at 17* btdc marked it on the case (but i didnt trust it the first time) and that's where I'll start on timing (if we can trust my old cheap timing light). In a couple minutes I'll take it for a first ride and see where temps come in at. Nice thing is that it started first kick tonight when i just put timing back to that first mark on the case from last night.

EH 📣FCC of the QCB /

Ya dude....sometimes it is the line....sometimes it is the punch mark! Always goo to check with a light.

Charles McCusker /

good learning experience to just trust all the reading/research. i'm pretty retarded at the moment, only building WOT pull temps at 310 F.

started breaking the thing in to tonight. went for two rides. only carb tuning issue is it may bog at low speed low rpm and stall, but starts super easy if i kill it with just a bump of the clutch, runs easy (not an issue if fixing it sacrifices performance). responds well to throttle position and builds rpms on the simo pipe. I'm super happy with the setup, dialing in jetting and timing will be good. engine is climbing hills at 1/3 throttle that i was having to use full throttle on with stock e50 and za50 tuned for 35mph setups. didn't put gps on it, but so far I'm floored.

thanks for the logical help.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account