Transfer port porting tool

Douglas Binder /

I needed a porting tool for my 50cc cylinder and didn't want to spend the money for a professional tool so I made my own, based on one I saw from Alex of 2stroke stuffing fame (check out his great videos). Instead of a belt (o-ring?) drive, I used a small toothed belt that I had lying around. I shot a quick video posted here:

So far it's working fairly well but I can't get the set screws clamped down tight enough with the cheap allen wrench I have. I have to tighten it every few minutes.

Re: Transfer port porting tool

that was too quick of a video, i need details

Douglas Binder /

It was thrown together quickly after work with parts I had lying around. I can tell you that the bearings were McMaster part# 57155K368. I'll have to check the size of the pulleys when I get home. The belt was ~10" total length which positioned the flex shaft tool a nice distance from the cylinder. I liked having the long aluminum stock. My right hand was below the table, away from the belt and my left hand was touching the tool to guide it.

Really, the whole tool took maybe a half hour to make, probably less. One 3/8" hole, a band saw to reduce the width of the aluminum where it goes into the cylinder, and drawing up the flex shaft holder. That part could easily have been made from 1/8" x 1" scrap steel but I couldn't find anything that would work and I have the 3D printer.

Woah cool idea

Very nice. Check out some of the cheap de-burring bits on Amazon; I'd bet you could turn out professional level work with that base you've rigged up.

Oh yeah, one more thing: I haven't rigged up anything quite this nice, but I did stumble across a quick way to mirror polish exhaust ports (not sure if this is widely known). Take a used/broken Dremel bit shaft (the longer the better), and add a ~.5mm x ~10mm slit on the top, so that the cut is made along the diameter (i.e. from a top-down view, it would look like a standard screwdriver slot). Then grab yourself some wet/dry sandpaper, cut it into a 10mm x 40mm strip, (optional) add some gorilla tape the to back for strength, fold in half, and wedge it into the slit. It's basically a flap wheel with 2 flaps - but with a little oil/water on the port, it works miracles.

My life would be so much better if i had one of these

Douglas Binder /

Alex, an issue I have with the aftermarket bits is that it looks like some of them are too long. The Dremel #117 just barely fits into a 50cc cylinder. I suppose I could cut the shank down on the aftermarket bits. Maybe I'll pick something up at Harbor Freight to test this.

> alex ganz Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Oh yeah, one more thing: I haven't rigged up anything quite this nice,

> but I did stumble across a quick way to mirror polish exhaust ports (not

> sure if this is widely known). Take a used/broken Dremel bit shaft (the

> longer the better), and add a ~.5mm x ~10mm slit on the top, so that the

> cut is made along the diameter (i.e. from a top-down view, it would

> look like a standard screwdriver slot). Then grab yourself some wet/dry

> sandpaper, cut it into a 10mm x 40mm strip, (optional) add some gorilla

> tape the to back for strength, fold in half, and wedge it into the slit.

> It's basically a flap wheel with 2 flaps - but with a little oil/water

> on the port, it works miracles.

I've done the same thing for years . Only I just used a 1/4" rod and a high speed drill . Still have the 'bit' laying in the top of the tool box . ;)

Captain Janeway /

Alex and pd: can you put up photos?

Anyone else who has another option attach a picture.

> Captain Janeway Wrote:

> Alex and pd: can you put up photos?

>

> Anyone else who has another option attach a picture.

Mine is almost as pretty as this one :

I use uhh sawlsawz

> Not Sure Wrote:

> I use uhh sawlsawz

That would make quick work alright .

Just not sure how mirror the finish would be . LOL

Captain Janeway /

Your friend and mine asked me to pass this one along

port

@PD - yeah! that's the stuff!

@ Janeway - Hahaha, yeah, he mentioned that to me a while back; that's a whole other league of next-level equipment right there. Fun to look at though :D

The Dremel bit flapper works great although it's hard to find the happy medium between the speed and the length. Too short and it rolls up, too long and it shreds the paper. I always seem to get it going for a few minutes and then lose it.

woah this is cool, must have missed it as august was the month i was moving this summer and didn't check MA for 2-3 months.

Braap Master Mope /

has anyone tried this 3d printed adapter to use a NSK NAC handpiece on their dremel?

Captain Janeway /

> alex ganz Wrote:

> @PD - yeah! that's the stuff!

>

> @ Janeway - Hahaha, yeah, he mentioned that to me a while back; that's a

> whole other league of next-level equipment right there. Fun to look at

> though :D

He's been threatening to put it on one of my bikes. I can see it and a bigger carb getting about 2 mpg. I love watching him do these things. I think that was the one he blew up my Dremel on.

That only gives you the conversion to the dental handpiece which is a lot smaller than the industrial version that used in the back room.

and a Dremel will never get the RPMs needed to actually spen 80,000 to 120,000 rpm's a bit of that diameter needs a true operating speed.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account