ZA50 CDI Too Much Advance

Looking for some advice here, I just installed a ZA50 CDI setup on my Maxi. I currently have the stator dremeled out to where the top screw is under the coil and can barely be tightened. This gets me to 28 degrees of advance. If turn fully counter-clockwise I get 36 degrees of advance. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I found TDC using piston stop method rotating the crank both directions and taking the average of the two marks. I even tried rotating the stator 180 degrees and got similar results. Can I possibly move the pickup and try again? The stator and flywheel came from 1977 mopeds as Treats was out of stock at the time, but the CDI came from Treats as 77 totally botched that end of it.

Re: ZA50 CDI Too Much Advance

Charles McCusker /

did you find the firing mark using a timing light?

Dan Vodhanel /

Yes, using a timing light with a battery for power.

Time it with no key

Take the flywheel off and move it without the key. If you have a fire mark and TDC mark you should be doing it this way regardless.

Dan Vodhanel /

Is there a write up somewhere of an easy way to adjust the timing this way? I tried it a few times and either got 30 degrees or it wouldn't run at all.

Dan Vodhanel /

Found this link, that should work.

CDI Timing

Dan Vodhanel /

This did the trick to get it set correctly, but now it runs like crap. I checked for leaks and everything was good. So now I think its on to jetting. Running Treats Puch 70cc absolute treat party supreme with Mikuni VM20 and Simonini exhaust. Currently have a 170 main jet, with needle in the middle position and a 220 idle jet. With the timing knocked down now, it bogs off the line and hits a wall at 30mph and won't tach out.

Charles McCusker /

when you say runs like crap, do you mean at idle or through the power range. do you have more jets available to try changing jetting? did you retard timing too much? i'm about to dive into this with my hpi and ajh kit with a mikuni 24mm and simo pipe, so I'm interested to see where you are at. I'm starting with a 165 jet and 12.5 idle jet.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account