Re: Tjt treatland steel hobbit rumpus plate

Emil Kniemel /

Heads up if anyone that was running a Pa50-I bell with the TJT. This new ramp plate will only fit the PA50-II.

You could mod the pa1 clutch bell hub to pa2 specs easily with a hacksaw, or dremel the plate.

Okay I got it put together I use some 320 sandpaper and some 400 and finished with some 600 to clean up the ramps a little bit don't want them to shine like a mirror just want to get the highspots off from the Machining it looks good now.

I just made a run with 16X13 rollers @ 16.8 grams I'm real close I'm going to give it a little time to settle in.

It's so nice I don't have that wait forever for it to start to shift out cold it shifts a little sooner on the takeoff which is awesome from a stop and it holds back a little at the top so it's dead nut on in the Power Band good job treats.

And I'm running the Cameo slotted Contra assembly and it is downshifting better with this setup than it did with the t j t plate.

I can be cruising with the RPM's down just like Jay pot said nail the throttle and it drops right into the peak of the powerBan close to it not quite got it tuned perfect yet but very close.

I got to go get some gas damn roommate use my 2 stroke gas for the lawn mower again.

And the lawnmower gas can that I filled last week is empty.

I think he's dumping it in his car cuz I know he was asking me for some gas money the other day.

Going to mix some diesel gas and oil then I'll know for sure when his car is smoking like a freight train.(edited)

Run a really weak rear spring, and drop your weights.

That's where this unit shines.

Using the same strong contra will not make this ramp plate impressive. Gotta go really weak

I was at 12gr

Matter of fact, when I tried this plate with a strong contra spring I didn't like it. But as soon as I put in barely a fucking spring, holy crap.

That's the whole point.

Stop the parasitic power loss, and don't overvariate.

Nothing better in the variation world

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Run a really weak rear spring, and drop your weights.

>

> That's where this unit shines.

>

> Using the same strong contra will not make this ramp plate impressive.

> Gotta go really weak

>

> I was at 12gr

I was at 14.7gr before I switched to the treats ramp plate and I came up 2 grams it's close I do need to go a little lighter.

J'bot you're running the bigger rollers and a different belt so things are going to tune just a little bit different.

And I'm also running a modified cameo contract in the rear with a spring out of a washing machine spring that I ground down to soften it.

And I made a custom retainer that allows of spring to be 3 millimeters longer when compressed.

The retainer under the spring on the left is the one I made the one on the right is the one that came on the Contra assembly that had a broken spring.

IMG_20170927_115219.jpg

Here's a picture of it installed on the bike.

IMG_20170927_123728.jpg

I did some grinding and things to it so the pulley cheeks will fit a little closer together this is the Cameo Contra with a BX belt sitting in it nice and high.

IMG_20171005_015241.jpg

I can always grind the spring down a little more to make it softer I'm just trying to make sure because it's hard to make a spring stiffer if not impossible.(edited)

I can collapse my spring with one hand. It's that weak.

That's the whole point to this.

I had to go 2gr lighter to make this plate act like the former tjt plate.

But whatever. You do you.

You watch my back, cuz that's all you'll see as I cruise off into the distance, haaaaaaaaaaaa siccc burn

That spring is wayyyy to strong for this plate even ground down. I can see it just by the wire diameter

You'd be better off with the stock Camino spring

Okay I'm down to 15.6gr with 2.6gr rollers.

And that picture of the spring is from when I first installed it I have ground it down thinner twice since then this spring was an inch and a quarter shorter than the stock broken spring. and it seems to be working better at 15.6gr I have some 2.2gr and a set of 2.4gr rollers that I can mix and swap around with it's pretty hot outside right now so I'm going to wait till this evening and go play with it some more.

is there any chance this might be compatible with the trick6 variator body?

> Chris . Wrote:

> is there any chance this might be compatible with the trick6 variator

> body?

frick6 no

Ok did some testing and I'm down to the 2.2gr=13.2gr and it's almost perfect I'm in the powerband just not quite the peak.

I need to go a pinch lighter but I'm very close maybe a half a gram away from the golden Zone.

JBOT somehow I miss read your text message I thought you were saying I needed to go 2/3 grams heavier.

That's what I get for multitasking.

Just for Giggles in the morning I'm going to try 12gr and see what that does.

Now for those of you running a promo pipe you'll probably be fine with about 16gr with a soft spring.

I can't remember exactly but when I tested the spring the last time I ground it down I was around 18 or 20 pounds at compressed height before variation with my setup.

I'm just saying, go as weak on the spring as you can and the acceleration will benefit greatly

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> I'm just saying, go as weak on the spring as you can and the

> acceleration will benefit greatly

The spring is pretty weak right now I'm going to throw 12g in it tomorrow morning just to see how it shifts before I grind the spring anymore because I'm real close to where you are on this thing right now I'm just kind of amazed it will shift with just 12 grams..

I totally understand the power losses from having the belt tight in the pulley shelves with a stiff spring but we've got to be getting close to the point of where the belt is going to start slipping.

CW

Mines not. If you have a good belt it won't slip. My daycos top cogs ain't slipping for shit

Your fat fucking b belt won't slip either, too fat to slip

Okay I played with this thing today the 12 was really good on take off at all but just a little high in the powerband for the RPM So currently I'm settled in at about 12 .5 12.8gr with six 16X13 rollers

NF

Going to pick up one of JBots 17425 Dayco belts this afternoon.

I don't know if that length works.

Might need to go to the 17420

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> I don't know if that length works.

>

> Might need to go to the 17420

Got it thank you J'BOT

Are you saying weaker than a stock spring in a rebuilt oem rear variator? Do you have a method for measuring spring tension or just by feel? Are you grinding down stock springs or McGivering your own?

Stock hobbit worn out would be fine.

The standard thing thats done is to add stronger contra springs to the pulley as you add hp.

You don't need to add a stronger spring with this ramp plate due to its shape, so stock spring or slightly weaker is fine, even with fucking race gears. That's amazing.

This plate shines with a kit, with pretty much no rpm drop. It's just a real piece of work.(edited)

Well my topcog17420 belt won't be in until Tuesday so I played with it some more but I'm pretty much settled in with the range being 12.5 grams 13 grams seems to be pretty much The Sweet Spot.

I drilled out some malossi #66-8082.40 2.6 gram rollers that I had used a 5/16 drill bit brought them down to 2.3 grams each and the 11/32" brought them down to 2.1 g".

IMG_20180715_133843.jpg

I will post results after I get the Dayco belt on and things settled in.

Does you Camino pulley close tighter than stock? I modded mine to close way way more, but if yours is standard, the belt might sit too deep in the pulleys at rest with a 1/2in belt.

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> Does you Camino pulley close tighter than stock? I modded mine to close

> way way more, but if yours is standard, the belt might sit too deep in

> the pulleys at rest with a 1/2in belt.

I took it all apart and cut things down like around there one spot down to where the seal itself is almost touching I didn't quite get it to close all the way I can post a picture where you can see how tight it closes and I also cut down the internal sleeve so it sits down a little tighter to so I got it to close up about three mm tighter than stock.

It was a bitch on the last train to reach in there and cut with a bit sticking out that far to trim the inside down a little bit I didn't want to weaken it too much.

Here's some pictures of it.

IMG_20170927_121056.jpg
IMG_20170927_123636.jpg

It was a real bitch trying to cut this a little bit deeper I did get some material out of there but it was chattering so bad I was afraid the bit was going to just shattered fuck everything.

I have the special space or a maid so I can run the spring longer than the assembly so I have more Valley near resistance on it

IMG_20170927_123728.jpg

I did get the pulleys the lot closer together by a good 3 mm they're not touching there's probably about 2 or 3 mm gap between the cheeks.

IMG_20170927_121543.jpg

I cut down the pin retaining sleeve.

IMG_20170927_121223.jpg

Use my Dremel and elongated the angled torque driver slot.

IMG_20171005_132547.jpg

And the BX belts it's nice and hi this is a new belt by the way in the picture so yeah I could probably get away with running a half inch belt

The belt in the rear shiv will travel up and down 19 mm.

That tjt was giving me about 7/8 on the front but it is a smaller radius but it works out for the both even with just a little bit of extra travel range on the rear contra sembly as long as I have the belt properly adjusted.

I suspect a lot of people who just slot the front variator on stock bike and don't modify the rear or basically getting into a real high-tension point and this is probably one of the aggravating factors I'm breaking the stock crankshaft but they will still break either way so if they need to be replaced as most of us already know.

Thanks for the info on all this, I’m curious about the rear pulley and confused on the alteration to it. I’ve been working on a high performance daily rider for my hobbit based on a DR kit, Proma exhaust, tjt w/rumpus plate, and Upgraded carb. Do I need to make adjustments to the rear pulley, and what are the pros/cons to U.S. rear pulley vs European pulley? I read a thread one time that only the stiffer springs work on the U.S. version and thought I needed that, I’m a bit confused if I should leave the regular spring, add the red Treatland spring to it, or use U.S. over European?

FA43F64C-D713-420F-9A66-201702FB7DBF.jpeg

Are any of you guys running the tjt weights with these? I'm running 3 blues for like 9g total and a red contra spring and it variates around 9.5k rpm. Rear pulley lathed down a bit so it closes all the way. Idk if overvariation is the right term but it feels like it variates too quickly and ends up at full variation too early. Like it will variate fully then rev out another 2-3k rpm.

I tried 3 of the Malossi 2.7g weights for like 8ish grams and it wouldnt variate fully. This has me thinking that the tjt weights might be shitty or something making them variate earlier or slide too quickly or something. I think 9-10g is probably the range I wanna be for weights

This is on a derbi piston port, Puch Gila with a hacked Doppler pipe, hpi, stock gearing. Rocking a pa50-1 bell with the one way bearing and rumpus plate dremeled out to fit on pa501 bell

Are u using the rumpus plate or not?

Yes. Using pa50 rumpus plate dremeled out to fit a pa50-1 bell swapped onto a derbi piston port

Sounds like you need a stronger contra or maybe mess with your gearing. Shorter gearing stays on the pipe easier.

Dirty30 Dillon /

If you're only running 3 weights and lite ones at that, with the red contra, and you're noticing that the variation happens very fast than stay flats, I bet the contra is too strong. Your weights can only overcome it when they build enough inertia.

I've really found that you want to run the softest contra you can get away with, which results in the smoothest variation and lightest weights

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account