Gas grill temp gauge on bike?

Hey everybody. I’m thinking of getting a universal temp gauge, the kind that Walmart sells for gas grills, and putting that on my bike. It fits perfect in the spare gauge slot on the Tomos dash, and I’m pretty sure the thermocouple is the washer-type which means that I can easily bolt it to the head. Anybody try this yet? (edited)

Re: Gas grill temp gauge on bike?

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Thats a pretty decent idea......

Although i just bought one of Dos's temp gauges that has a replaceable battery and backlit screen. Same price as the lesser trailtechs.....

Charles McCusker /

didn't someone find a harbor freight one they were trying? forgot who...

> Charles McCusker Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> didn't someone find a harbor freight one they were trying? forgot who...

Jbot .

Totally normal JBOT /

Pics of unit?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

i tried a cheapo one from a grill the vibrations break it in a week.

I build grills (and bikes, etc) for walmarts. A lot of those temp guages are broken right out of the box, or break when tightening them down (by hand.)

Guys us these on their

Old School VWs

Maybe you can rig one on a Ped.

Thermo-Dipstick-4.jpg

You need to isolate the instrument from engine vibration

also please remember that these numbers will not correlate directly to the numbers people read on head temps. you gotta make your own correlation. but a cylinder temp reading 400 measured by a metal probe touching a fin is not gonna be the same as the head temp of 400 measured by an RTD pinched around a spark plug intimately on the head.

You are right to a degree. I actually did an experiment on this very question. Using best practices in the process and the TTO sensor imbedded in the fin read only 10F less. The location on the fin was as close as I could get a TTO sensor to the center of the cylinder. Alu is suposed to be a good conductor of heat and the experiment substantiated that.

Landon Buell /

Yeah. I bought a real one instead.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

I tested this today, it works, but not good, my bike is stock and i think it ran at about 200-220°F, it shows about 220 while riding at about 20mph, the problem is, it shows about 180 at 30, and 250-270 at a Stand still, it seems to get cooled by the Wind, and i can't do much about it...

Probably Fred /

> Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thats a pretty decent idea......

>

> Although i just bought one of Dos's temp gauges that has a replaceable

> battery and backlit screen. Same price as the lesser trailtechs.....

Yep they great and Dos is great !

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account