Magnum ZA50 Tunning

Hey there,

I have a 1980 Puch Magnum with a stock AZ50.

With:

-15mm Bing Carb (the needle is set to second to bottom with a 73 Main Jet)

-Spark is a little lean but still a nice milk chocolate color

-15mm Intake

-Running with no airbox (Whenever I put the airbox, it bogs at top speed)

-Treats MLM performance pipe

-Recently changed the transmission oil

-Spark seems nice and purple

-Good Condencer

MY MAIN PROBLEM IS: The bike dies at low idle. The only way around this is to set the idle high, and it doesn's sound right most of the time (Similar to four-stroking sound) Another problem is my acceleration (which is terrible at times). The bike kicks into second gear around 15mph (not sure if that's normal) and only after that, the bike picks up speed (around 35mph). (I'm located in Coney Island so not much altitude.)

Not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Magnum ZA50 Tunning

Probably Fred /

Real bing or clone carb

What is the atomizer size

Spark means nothin if not in time or weak under compression

What is point gap setting @ just past top dead center and what is timing set at ?

Here’s my 1980 magnum with a 14 mm bing and 14mm intake, 212a atomizer 70 jet, large metal mesh filter, head sanded down a mm or so, modified stock exhaust, Magneto completely serviced cleaned and greased, points gap set at 17 thou of a inch, timing set at 18° before top dead center with second gear clutch flipped, new pucks, 30mph Stop Pin pulled out of speedo,

bump for knowledge. I've had my bike for years, and have always had some trouble with crummy idle. IMHO it's probably bad points gap or bad timing, to start.

and Ken, I'd like to pick your brain on some ZA stuff in the near future- i completely rebuilt n' kitted mine three years ago (after 5 yrs of stock+) and had some life troubles come up, and now i'm trying to remember the whos and the whats of how to keep my 2 speed alive. Marty Kokes is a good resource as well, his Grumpy Dumpies build was an inspiration.

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 9.02.22 AM.png

Probably Fred /

> Jackson Farley Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> bump for knowledge. I've had my bike for years, and have always had some

> trouble with crummy idle. IMHO it's probably bad points gap or bad

> timing, to start.

>

> and Ken, I'd like to pick your brain on some ZA stuff in the near

> future- i completely rebuilt n' kitted mine three years ago (after 5 yrs

> of stock+) and had some life troubles come up, and now i'm trying to

> remember the whos and the whats of how to keep my 2 speed alive. Marty

> Kokes is a good resource as well, his Grumpy Dumpies build was an

> inspiration.

Ya for any questions/pictures/whatever use my email not pm for it loads and works better

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account