Re: So Macho

EH FCC of the QCB /

Well looking at measurements on the old interwebs, it looks like there is no room for the KS plate to sit on the KTM clutch. Oh well...looks like it will be a braced 2 shoe.

EH FCC of the QCB /

Welp. Got the clutch welded. It is back up and ripping. Rode it to the Congeration motorcycle show in Charlotte today. Still rich but dam is it fast for being rich. Kinda surprised by the jetting on this bike. I don’t know if it is the Vforce reeds or what but I am like 15 down on the main jet and 10 on the idle form my other Gila Kit. The other kit had a windowed piston while this one is slotted. Kinda want to take it apart and cut that center pice out.

OHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHH

DooOoood that's awesome! I bet it rips so hard!!!! ... prob starts hard too with them discs.

I've built a few kitted kickstart e fiddies and ended up modifying clutches for pedal start engines. That way I had more options for performance clutches. Running a version 1 hammer in my current set up. It's super easy to make it work. Just gotta grind the starter pad material off the back of the clutch and make a spacer that keeps the claw plate on the clutch centered. I used a washer that had an OD that fit inside the claw plate, then filed the ID of the washer so the fancy kickstart crank nut fit snug inside. Just some food for thought.

stops* hard

EH FCC of the QCB /

This thing stops so well. This bike is so tight from a riding perspective, when I ride it I get derbi syndrom. Which is what I describe as going fast, but your bike is not janky so it feels a lot slower than what it is.

Interesting, I was wondering about something like that! If you ever get a chance please post up some pics. Not saying dig into a running bike but if for some reason you have to please let me see what you did. I have a feeling it is only a matter of time before I need new clutch.

Sweeet

EH FCC of the QCB /
image.jpg

Trying to join the cool guy KTM kickstart crew.

Bike preforms okay. Still messing with tuning. It is mild as far as other bikes I have. Not exactly what I expected for the porting I did. I think tuning the KTM clutch to get into the N8p quicker will help.

Still messing with the timing and jetting. I have the internal rotor set to 2.5 btdc and it seems okay. This is the first internal rotor I did. I have a few mini rotors and they are set between 1.5 - 2 btdc and are great. Idk if the curve is different on the internal rotors. I know the book says to do 2-4 but was kinda worried to go higher based on my other bikes.

I’ll post pics of the KTM install. Excited to do that. Thanks for the Clutch bell Todd! (edited)

A stock Puch clutch can handle a lot if you tune it to engage early. The shoes can crush from centrifugal force at high rpm unless you also lighten the arms. Lighten and conservative tuning. Seattle Ryan also had very high compression and should have been running race fuel.

EH FCC of the QCB /

Ya I am just comparing this the the other gila bike I have. That one just has a hole cut in the piston, Bk100, TM24, stock flywheel with Picard CDI. ....But the clutch is tuned better. When that one takes off it is like somone is trying to pull you off the bike. Was kinda wondering if the TM24 is too much for the pipe. I know a couple people who whent back to a PHBG21 after not liking the TM.

This is all speculation. I am still going to spend some time messing with tuning before I ditch the TM. Heck I might pull the kit and cut the bridge between the 2 slots in the piston.

I should have access to a dyno pretty soon. I would like to compare the two bikes.

Two more weeks till school is out and I will get more time to dial this thing in.

Slice liked the 21 phbg better than the tm24.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Video of this thing tearing your face off?

Probably Fred /

> Baron Von Hamilton Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ya I am just comparing this the the other gila bike I have. That one

> just has a hole cut in the piston, Bk100, TM24, stock flywheel with

> Picard CDI. ....But the clutch is tuned better. When that one takes

> off it is like somone is trying to pull you off the bike. Was kinda

> wondering if the TM24 is too much for the pipe. I know a couple people

> who whent back to a PHBG21 after not liking the TM.

>

> This is all speculation. I am still going to spend some time messing

> with tuning before I ditch the TM. Heck I might pull the kit and cut

> the bridge between the 2 slots in the piston.

>

> I should have access to a dyno pretty soon. I would like to compare the

> two bikes.

>

> Two more weeks till school is out and I will get more time to dial this

> thing in.

Can Show a picture of the hole cut in your other Gila’s piston?

Tm24 = dud

> Charlie BUZZARD Wrote:

> Slice liked the 21 phbg better than the tm24.

Have ran many different carb options, tm24 was the worst ever, hated everything about it, for sale soon, brand basically new.

EH FCC of the QCB /

Ya, idk about the TM24. Going to mess with it some more before I go to a PHBG21.

Ken I don’t have a picture of the piston in the other bike, but I do have kind of a silly picture from another one I did for a friend. The hole looks bigger on this one because I trimmed about 3mm off of each side of the piston skirt.

The difference between the one in the Macho and this one is the one in the Macho has a bridge in the center.

AA614E54-5D99-4E5D-B342-E81EC17DB810.jpeg
AA614E54-5D99-4E5D-B342-E81EC17DB810.jpeg

Y'all tm24 haters are silly. It's the best carb for a gila!

todd amundson /

> Ryan N. Wrote:

> Y'all tm24 haters are silly. It's the best carb for a gila!

I’m a hater. Got like six of those fuckers on my shop floor dumping fuel everywhere when not in use. I ain’t chasing those leaks down.

todd amundson /

Get bent

4CCBE1BF-F797-4398-BD89-5F900BC5F1B7.jpeg

Just set the floats.

my TM24 always leaked. It'd just belch out the overflow regularly. hard leaning side stand either it wouldn't work upright or would leak on the side stand. still, it ripped. my qualms were few, leaky and big size. Had a TM33 on a ttr225 that worked great. If you get the good OKO's I like those pretty well. I quite dislike VM's because I've had about 6 different versions of the "same" car and nothing is interchangeable. \

my 2 cents. fwiw

EH FCC of the QCB /

Damn Todd that is wild!

Phbg is alway my go to because of the tunability. I guess they just make sense to me.

TM seems okay. I think I have to learn it’s quarks better. Only because I am real anal about having stuff tuned right. I am sure the average person would be happy with its performance right now. In fact a few people I let ride it were impressed, I am still at “meh”. But I am going to fuck with it hard in week when I get out of school. These 5th graders need to move on.....

> Baron Von Hamilton Wrote:

> Interesting, I was wondering about something like that! If you ever get

> a chance please post up some pics. Not saying dig into a running bike

> but if for some reason you have to please let me see what you did. I

> have a feeling it is only a matter of time before I need new clutch.

Here ya go bro! I pulled my clutch out last night to inspect it for wear and replace the springs. Thought I would share some pics of my set up. This is a 3 bearing e50 from the 80s, actually off of a Macho Rider!!! Reverse cut gears and non-folding kickstart lever.

This is how she looks installed

20180604_174111 by max jureckson, on Flickr

This is the clutch nut and kickstart gear with the spacer. The spacer is just a washer that centers the clutch nut inside the gear.

20180604_174405 by max jureckson, on Flickr

Other side of it. Notice how the lip of the clutch nut fits snugly inside the inner diameter of the washer. Keep things centered.

20180604_174350 by max jureckson, on Flickr

All the pieces

20180604_174328 by max jureckson, on Flickr

You'll also need to remove the starter pad material from the back of the pedal start clutch to make it work in a ks. I carefully used an angle grinder.

20180604_174712 by max jureckson, on Flickr

I gotta say, this version 1 hammer clutch is amazing. Soooooo many hard city miles and rallies on this thing and the pads look great!!

20180604_174741 by max jureckson, on Flickr

Hope this was helpful!

EH FCC of the QCB /

Thanks Max! I appreciate you posting it. Make all the sense in the world seeing the pics. I was kinda drunk when you were explaining it to me in ATL.

EH FCC of the QCB /
ADCCB8F9-D49A-4539-8D2E-2E0C8ED120BA.jpeg
C59F7FD1-7274-498A-8C6F-D56D268F90ED.jpeg
1627A53A-749F-49D1-B290-BAD699A69460.jpeg

Okay....should be able to get this installed in the next couple days and see how it does. Seems like it will be cool. I ordered springs, just Incase the washers are too much. Kinda excited to see how this does.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Are we ever gonna see video of this thing running?

EH FCC of the QCB /

> Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) Wrote:

> Are we ever gonna see video of this thing running?

I honestly don’t know how to post vids. I am guessing I can make a YouTube around and link it. I can try and post one soon.

EH FCC of the QCB /

Shit I got it! That was easy.

This is the video for my first ride on it! Video sucks and is all over the place because I am holding my phone. Also my GPS does not really work well. I’ll make a couple better ones this week now that I know what the hell I am doing.

EH FCC of the QCB /
2C2231DC-0765-4466-BFA3-24F1C5C618A2.jpeg
C6C27C8D-2100-47E7-AF62-7B9183A38A5C.jpeg
4EB481EE-A1FA-415C-90FA-8752551DBC42.jpeg

Making the spacer. Trimmed it from 33mm to 28.5mm.

Niice!!! Are those reverse cut main gears?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account