DOS Cycles Derbi/Honda variator - More range for 16x13 weights

patrick stover /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

The DOS variator is designed for 18x14 roller weights. It's pretty difficult to find any 18x14's in weights light enough to work on my moped so i'm going to use 16x13's. The variator is pretty nice, cheaper and cleaner casting than a TJT although a tiny bit heavier. A brand new Endurance belt runs perfectly to the top of the ramp with the variator maxed out.

Resized_20180318_1548411.jpeg

So with the variator open, the lowest the belt will go is 10 or 12 mm from the bottom because it's designed to hold 18x14 weights..

Resized_20180318_154955-Edited.jpg

So the inside area around the bushing is what you need to cut down. I used a dremel cut off wheel, first just leveling it to the tops of the roller fences and them smoothed it out. I removed 1.5 mm. If you had a mill or a lathe this would be easier, but a dremel works fine.

Resized_20180318_173437.jpeg
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account