Re: 1979 honda hobbit pa50 custom

Michael Phipps /

Blind bearing puller and some propane heat on the case area, notthe bearing, should pull them out. Blind bearing pullers are life savers

Blind bearing pullers are great. I use mine a lot actually. True life saver. However, you don’t need that tool here. Just a big socket and a rubber mallet. Or clean them really well and bake the case halves at 400 in the oven for about 20ish minutes. Should just poke out, or take very little effort at least.

Michael Phipps /

Anyone have a link to a good blind bearing puller? Might as well get one. I have e every other puller.

Personally if they seem perfect, i would not mess with them.

> Michael Phipps Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone have a link to a good blind bearing puller? Might as well get

> one. I have e every other puller.

This is the one we got, never let us down yet.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112782558258

Michael Phipps /

I'm with you. This hobbit had very few miles on it, but my concern is the aftermarket bearings are not as good as the originals. I've seen this a lot when working on aircooled VW's. The Chinese and Taiwanese bearings where always inferior to the original German bearings.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Many times this is true. More then likely the original bearings are fine. If you chose to replace them, this is one area that I will spend more money for a well known/quality brand. It's just dumb to use inferior bearings when the quality ones are not that expensive.

Michael Phipps /

Finally got a clutch puller

IMAG0095 (1).jpg

Michael Phipps /

Finally got a clutch puller

Michael Phipps /

If I replace the crank bearings do I need to pack the bearings with grease?

I feel like my intake is louder than my proma ......shrugging shoulder emoji

Use some 2t oil or asembly lube (edited)

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

No on the grease, i would actually recommend you get most of the grease out before installing. Those bearings are lubricated by the 2 stroke oil in the gas that flows in and out of the cases. I would think leaving too much grease in the bearings might cause issues, because it doesn't burn well, and may cause fouling or excess carbon buildup.

It may be of no concern though, thats just my intuition. The grease may just dissolve with the gas slowly over time and not be an issue at all.

Like B-Man & Baron said, no grease. Unnecessary, causes fouling & carbon build-up, and I've also heard of an instance where it interfered with proper fitting of the adjacent seal (although that seems like way too much grease regardless).

Case-match while you've got it split!

Michael Phipps /

Okay....been awhile with kids graduating and joining the USMC and other of life's stuff, but I'm back to working on my Custom Hobbit! Heated the case halves, froze the new bearings and crank, everything pretty much slipped together. Used a Treatland case bolt kit (Allen heads).

My only concern is it seems a little tight? Everything moves freely, just seems snug. (edited)

IMAG0321.jpg
IMAG0330.jpg
IMAG0329.jpg

New everything does tend to be snug . Exactly as it should be .

As long as you're paying attention to the manual specs , it should turn out factory fresh . Maybe even a bit better , considering the TLC applied . ;)

Michael Phipps /

Okay, a little progress today. I got the Athena 73cc cylinder kit and Moped Factory 47mm head installed.

IMAG0333.jpg
IMAG0336.jpg

Michael Phipps /

Not sure if the head is on upside down?

What is the grenade for?

> Michael Phipps Wrote:

> Not sure if the head is on upside down?

Spark plug is pointing up. Your good.

Michael Phipps /

> Ben Whittle Wrote:

> What is the grenade for?

frabz-Brick-where-did-you-get-a-hand-grenade--I-dont-know-7478ba.jpg

Tap the crank ends back and forth lightly with a nut on the end to protect the threads. The side load on the bearings will loosen up. Should be able to flip the crank back and forth with your fingers and have it turn full rotations freely without the top end or crank seals on.

The seals will make it a bit tight and prevent the free spinning. If it's real stiff you may also have the wrong crank seal on the vario side.

FA4F8CE5-D58D-41DB-ADF7-938F401AE8BA.jpeg

Just a question. Did you open up this gasket/spacer thing to match the intake?

If not your basically runnin a 12mm carb. I usually match the original intake to the size of the new intake that bolts to it. Thin I just run a paper gasket, instead of the original.

Michael Phipps /

The seals are on the correct sides. I tapped the crank back and forth. It loosened up a little bit, but you can't turn it by hand (the seals are on). (edited)

Michael Phipps /

Baron Von Hamilton

I will check that. Thanks for the advice. (edited)

You better be able to turn it by hand. Not so much if the cylinder is on, it'll be pretty stiff.

Michael Phipps /

Without the cylinder it would easily turn by hand. It's now that everything is buttoned up you can't turn it by hand. It's still really smooth, just snug and a lot of compression.

> Michael Phipps Wrote:

> Without the cylinder it would easily turn by hand. It's now that

> everything is buttoned up you can't turn it by hand. It's still really

> smooth, just snug and a lot of compression.

Sounds just right to me .

Well that's what I said in the first place. Good to go. Especially on a fresh engine with new rings you will have a hard time turning things without at least the flywheel to give you leverage or something similar.

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> Well that's what I said in the first place. Good to go. Especially on a

> fresh engine with new rings you will have a hard time turning things

> without at least the flywheel to give you leverage or something similar.

That you did . ;)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account