Moped Factory puch polini heads are back!

Shameless plug, sorry,

DSC_5469_1024x1024.jpg

https://www.doscycles.com/collections/heads/products/moped-factory-puch-polini-performance-head

I've had dozens of people email me in the last few years asking me when these would come back. Thanks to a lot of support from Blake @ Dos in the last year i'm psyched to announce they are back along with a whole host of exciting new products.

In the last year i've invested a few thousand out of the family checking in new tooling and equipment to bring back these parts with more sustainable supply chain, higher quality than ever, and more precise and optimized geometry. We're using new sourced cores so I won't be held up from running out, and we have a CNC lathe that lets me fine tune the combustion geometry in ways i never could before.

Thanks to everyone who has supported me over the years and encouraged me to get back in the game!

Re: Moped Factory puch polini heads are back!

Dirty30 Dillon /

This is brilliant news. Great to hear you're in a place to get back to work.

Dope!

Overpriced Parts /

Make puch Athena 70cc reed kit/other wrong spaced kits heads that are countersunk.

In sizes like 1, 2, 3 etc mm lower then flush with deck

These are amazing heads, still running a black one from like 7 years ago

hey ken, i've prototyped a couple of them and have given them to folks for testing.

problem has been that i've gotten a lot of different measurements from different people running different kits on different setups, there is an 'athena AJH' thread i started to try to get some more info and i've ordered a bunch of kits to measure and compare.

it would be cool to offer all different head profiles in all different spacings, etc but that turns into a gazillion product offerings really soon and that means i've either got a kajillion bucks tied up in inventory or i have to run really small production runs which costs too much.

i'm looking for some ways to get back into the custom game but for now the only way i can make money (or loose less money to be accurate) is to do bigger runs of fewer products

This is awesome Graham. I still have my V1 head that you did for me coming up on 6 years ago now (damn), it's a work of art. Excited to finally see some proper heads hitting the market. Most of the off-the-shelf ones have wonky squish bands/chamber volume.

CNC?! You fancy.

Mikey Antonakakis /

> Derek Vanasse Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> This is awesome Graham. I still have my V1 head that you did for me

> coming up on 6 years ago now (damn), it's a work of art. Excited to

> finally see some proper heads hitting the market. Most of the

> off-the-shelf ones have wonky squish bands/chamber volume.

>

> CNC?! You fancy.

Graham, I might come to you at some point for the same thing!

57A28745-FE62-4FEF-A854-9942893AF584.jpeg

This head plus DOS’s super fast shipping is a winning combo. I need to get the Hobbit head next.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Which is the recommended head gasket to use with this awesomeness?

thanks eric, let me know how it works for ya!

head gasket is whatever you prefer. they run just fine without one. if you have 0 deck it comes out to about a .8 squish band so you can choose to shim the base up and get some free porting or you can use the .5 mm head gasket for a perfect 1.3 mm squish.

bumping an old thread to ask if these are significantly different than the older ones?

i have one on my polini that i bought years ago and wanted to see if there would be any significant difference with the new version

yeah pretty significantly different, here is a really bad drawing that should show better what i've done:

newvsoldMFpolini.jpg

the CNC capability lets me match the polini crown with a curve, the old one cut on a manual machine had to be cut from 3 different flat angles, then i kinda blended them with some emery cloth.

i can also cut a bigger, deeper, more hemispherical combustion chamber so the compression ratio is a scooch lower. i've got about 3000 miles on my bike and the carbon/burn patterns look really good.

thanks for the info Graham. looks like i'll be ordering one of these soon.

Overpriced Parts /

Take a maxi hi torque head , sand tabs flat then put a squish band on it,

Done !

IMG_20181017_112929.jpg
IMG_20181017_112935.jpg

This is the 47.5 Athena mod for a Hobbit off treats. It's got a countersink in it that I'm not sure is in perfect in plane to the body of the head or if that actually matters. The other item to note is that the new spacing is m6 whereas so many Hobbit cases were modded to m7. No real biggie even at my skill level with a drill press.

Not sure who made these. Btw.

IMG_20181017_180051.jpg
IMG_20181017_180038.jpg

Much filing later .....

GRAHAM when u do these please offer a m7 Hobbit spacing and these studs are parallel and a bit different than just the Puch pattern , I think. This is cheetachromes Athena modded case that I cracked at one stud and had retigged etc because the derby metra kit head also wasn't spot on for stud placement. I tried to make the head slip on thinking everything is going to expand when hot and maybe the studs will start to bind. So I hope I'm not totally jacking this thread.

hahaha yeah you totally are jacking the thread, i'm not going to make a cobbled/wallered hole head, i don't think its a good idea for the exact reason you stated, cracking the cases around the studs, bending studs, insufficient clamp load, also i'm kind of a nerd when it comes to doing shit 'the right way' so im' not gonna sell a hacked up version. lots of people have made the wallered out heads work and i'm not knocking them its just not something that i personally would stand behind selling.

this is the correct head for 47 mm hobbits, it has bigger fins than the puch and the correct squish, bolt pattern, etc. Blake tracked down these cores and orders them in special just so we can offer this head. i've got another batch of them in process right now.

hobbit 'big fin' 47mm on doscycles.com

Ok announce it when u are finished. Can u make some m7 ?

m7 ought to fit in them, stud holes are pretty big, might just need a little cleanup with a drill bit run through them to take any boogers off.

Glad to see you're still cutting heads, Graham.

Good to see you come out of retirement, Ed!

Damn treats got themselves access to a CNC machine and they are spittin' out products!

@Graham what do you think about this interesting creation?

https://www.treatland.tv/super-75-cnc-aluminum-honda-hobbit-pa50-custom-cut-p/custom-head-050.htm

rad rad rad, i love it. i cant even get a hunk of aluminum for that price, just means i gotta go innovate elsewhere ! I still don't like the way the squish band on these 'no name' treats heads are shaped, too much squish area, but more parts for the community is always a good thing.

i've had some stuff like this that i've said 'hey i could get that done cheap in china' but in the end its always more of a hassle, even on those vespa variators i'm making version 2 prototype and version 3, supposedly the same thing from china, had slight differences that i'm having to figure out now. Just having to fix a tiny china fuckup like that can burn all the potential profit margin you can expect to make off something like this, and its more important to do that than just slap my sticker on a box and sell crap (not saying treats is doing that!!)

i think treats is dropping big enough checks they can afford to get what they want, relatively speaking i'm a small small fry doing this shit in my spare time.

15489664936878970729417966970491.jpg
15489661808928089582556379189608.jpg
15489661336342075999799118317277.jpg

Yes I'm starting to feel like imelda Marcos and her shoe collection. I got bother the treats Puch 44 mm and the motzig dos cycles 44 head. Aside from the stud length being 27 mm longer for the motzig head ( no problem ) the choice of pipe is critical. Ie no promas need apply . U need something like a mlm pipe and u need to clear the petcock and more. Much like the fitment for the metrakit head. So I'm going to have to stick to the wallered out treats head on the bike with the proma. I was super stoked on what temps the motzig head would record. Not to be on this build at this point. Yes there are two different hobbits pictured. The red one is the 44 mm .

Got mine on a wizard/proma combo with no petcock clearance issues

57058798476__D9840C6E-D5CE-431A-8A89-2A671279761B.JPG

Mike did you take the pipe off before you put the head on I assume you took the petcock off.

I didn't take the pipe off or the petcock, but i did drop the engine from the mounts when i was installing it

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account