what's your favorite radiator setup?

anyone using radiators from treats? scooter stuff? dirtbike stuff?

Re: what's your favorite radiator setup?

$50

> Lee Hoffguy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> $50

That's a pretty good price for what looks to be a well made unit .

Scooter radiators are great.

Elite 150 250 helix...

> Lee Hoffguy Wrote:

> $50

Wow! fucking.. thank you.

suhweet!

what about pumps??

I used a radiator of a Cobra CX50, it's like a kid's dirtbike or something. I had pretty specific size requirements though. Think there are a couple on fleabay.

> A2 Andrew Wrote:

> I used a radiator of a Cobra CX50, it's like a kid's dirtbike or

> something. I had pretty specific size requirements though. Think there

> are a couple on fleabay.

the cobra 50 is the premier child's racing dirt bike. Hand made in Alabama, they're like $3,200

I used a cr85 rad I got cheap on ebay

O hi Pat. I see you're still trying to make a motorcycle out of your moped. I thought you wanted one of these last time I talked to you: Minneapolis RS50

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> the cobra 50 is the premier child's racing dirt bike. Hand made in

> Alabama, they're like $3,200

Woah had no no idea, sounds sweet

KX65 Radiator. Not the kx60, that one has straight nipples. The 65 has downturns on both which made (in my case) the hoses MUCH easier to route when mounted vertically. I also got mine for about $35 shipped.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/18 03:35PM by ihazvalves.

blah blah blah blah /

Any home-built radiator loops out there? Been kicking a few ideas around, including running flex copper to a rear mounted heat dissipating coil, using the frame as a heat sink along the way, (mostly to avoid the clutter of hanging a radiator up front) or fabbing a copper array under the Hobbit tank.

I had originally wanted to do a rear mounted radiator but it would have made thermosiphon impossible (which I never went with anyway) and unless proper ducts would suffice it would have needed a fan running. Mine would have been mounted flat in the rack area. I get that yours would not necessarily involve a "radiator" in the traditional sense, but rather a surge tank.

> Lee Hoffguy Wrote:

> $50

What did you use to block off the bridge outlet?

> Doug Wilhelm Wrote:

> > Lee Hoffguy Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > $50

>

> What did you use to block off the bridge outlet?

>

> https://i.imgur.com/oCQawP1.png

Rubber cap and hose clamp. Done.

blah blah blah blah /

I mostly like the idea of easily disconnected hoses and open access to the head with a rear cooling system. It would definitely need a pump... which could be more easily mounted near the battery or under the rack than in front. Probably 1/2" or 3/4' copper on either side of the frame to & from the head with a TBD manifold array using the structure of the rack for support and maybe the air flow by the rear wheel for cooling. You could tuck a lot of tubing back there and a fan if needed. Found an adjustable 0-2 lb mini relief valve to eliminate the need for a traditional filler cap. Might be fun.. or could just make something simple to hug the tank instead. Still cogitating.

On the topic of water pumps, I personally hate the 'moped rated' mechanical pumps that run using a glorified rubber band. I have an electric 12v AC Delco that was $45 new:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016IDG6A/

Both look like good options. I have the longer bodied Bosch and it works well, but I may pop for the shorter ones like you've listed since I am in the process of reworking everything right now.

blah blah blah blah /

Bought the same VDUB version for $35, fingers crossed.Tested well on 6v but plan ning to provide 12v.

> blah blah blah blah Wrote:

> Bought the same VDUB version for $35, fingers crossed.Tested well on 6v

> but plan ning to provide 12v.

I liked that it had the mounting bracket, wiring harness, and it was only 26$. I have the polini mechical pump right now, I want to run a pull start so I’m going to swap to the electric pump.

why have i never seen anyone running expansion tanks?

(does the pressure never build up enough in such a small system?

is it the temperature of the system? do you just piss coolant all over the place?)

what pressure caps are you using?

A catch tank even in a regular car doesn't operate unless it is beyond normal operation. It's a closed system meant to run within a maximum temperature based on the pressure rating of the cap. That would give 251.7deg of maximum temp at 16 psi that many radiator caps come in. Now if you push beyond that (or probably up to it) the pressure will release, the water will boil, and it will not stop boiling off until the heat source is removed. The expansion of the water to a boil will release some heat but will be unlikely to cool down to a point that it will stop boiling.

I run one, but that was because my original rad setup was so flawed that I had horrible flow and would push coolant eventually, then run the radiator low enough to lose pump prime.

cool, thanks for the input!

i have to run a catch can anyway to get on the track, but was wondering if i needed an operational coolant tank or not. so i should be able to plumb overflow (worst case scenario) to the same can for breathers.

I wouldn't suggest it. In the event that you push a little coolant you may end up with fuel in your cooling system.

« Go to Topic — end of thread