a35 EATS clutches for breakfast HELP

Breece McConnell /

Ive got a kitted tomos a35 that eats through clutches like crazy. About to replace them both and was gonna try out the MOTOREX fluid. how much should I use? Also I was gonna try the treatmetric jammer clutch (https://www.treatland.tv/treatmetric-TOMOS-A35-and-A55-jammer-clutch-versio-p/a35-a55-jammer-clutch-1st-gear.htm) for first gear and stock cork for second. Should I be changing the springs? The ped I have is really tuned up. It was built by Moped Motion in athens for their race team back in the day. I tried the "performance mixture" for the tranny last time I changed the clutch but I think that made it wear faster. Just looking for advice, thanks.* Moved to this forum by grahammotzing

Re: a35 EATS clutches for breakfast HELP

What ignition does it have on it?

Breece McConnell /

Its a kick start. Not sure about specifics.

Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) /

Unless you're making an obscene amount of power, the cork doesnt really slip much and should last a long time if you use the right fluid (type A or F, or non detergent).

Im referring to 1/8th inch Felpro cork though, glued on to cover the whole shoe.

Stock tomos cork pads suck.

Is your drum damaged?

The jammer is amazing.

If you care about your Tomos, get a Jammer.

I got kevlar lined clutches from clutchworks its amazing and strong. I highly recommend them

Breece McConnell /

Im going to open up the tranny today and see what im working with. If I go with the jammer for first gear what should I do for the second? And just fill it with MOTOREX fully synthetic ATF to the fill screw?

Breece McConnell /

Where can those be found?

> Breece McConnell Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It was built by Moped Motion in athens for their race team back in the day.

lol they're nice guys but they weren't doing any races and they definitely wouldn't have been winning them.

Dos Cycles (Atlanta based) has a35 replacement clutches that the swoops tomos guys swear by. Has actual friction material instead of cork or whatever dumb shit tomos put on there.

https://www.doscycles.com/products/toooo-moooooo-a35

Breece McConnell /

that was the story I was told. at any rate its fast as hell, ive gps clockled it at around 55. Should i be using stiffer springs?

Baron Von Hamilton /

If your just wearing out the cork lining I would go with the DOS clutches. Like Andy said. Heard good stuff about them. If your making enough power to break the part where the pin goes through I would get the jammer. If that bike has a “race tune” the springs may have already been changed. Changing the springs just cause it to slip more and wear the cork out faster.

> that was the story I was told. at any rate its fast as hell, ive gps

> clockled it at around 55. Should i be using stiffer springs?

if you're delining clutches now, stiffer springs is just going to deline them faster.

55 is what a correctly put together kitted a35 should be doing.

when you say it 'eats them' are you saying that you have replaced multiple clutches or that the first original garbage clutch is finally starting to fail?

the motorex will do you no good but if you want to buy fancy snake oil go for it.

i've been running friction material "asbestos" lined shoes for years and never have clutch problems. i bet if you get those Dos ones this will be the last time you worry about it. Keep your trans oil about full and use something made for wet clutches - type F, dex/merc, 10w40 motorcycle, etc. it doesn't really matter for clutch longevity with the good pads in there.

Breece McConnell /

Idk what was done before I had it but this will be the second time im replacing the clutch. The first time I just replaced the shoes and did the gear oil 700ml mixture. that didnt last long. I want to go with something that will have more longevity. I guess my best bet would be the jammer on first and the dos on second?

Breece McConnell /

I guess the gear oil atf mixture is no good for longevity?

Ive heard many times that the "race mix" kills the clutches.

Just use 12 to 15oz of regular ol' type A or type F. Nothing else.

Breece McConnell /

good to know thanks! I got it open and it looks like the first gear that I previously replaced is still good but now the second gear is toast. I guess ill go with the dos 2nd and call it a day.

> good to know thanks! I got it open and it looks like the first gear that

> I previously replaced is still good but now the second gear is toast. I

> guess ill go with the dos 2nd and call it a day.

The jammer is an amazing clutch, i just got mine a few weeks ago.

The 2nd gear clutch takes way less abuse than 1st gear, and will last alot longer.

Can you post some pictures of your bike? Im interested in seeing how its set up.

Breece McConnell /

Sure, here is a pic of the right side: http://www.mopedarmy.com/img/alter/index.php?args=8c820a83b5dd7b85d5658322f5643d2d/fit_to_width=1024/src/http://www.mopedarmy.com/img/user_mopeds/breecem_moped_large.jpg

The other side has a delorto carb with a uni filter.

Its really quick off the line. the front end will pop up if im not leaning forward.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/17 06:00PM by breecem.

Looks like a Gila? Sweet.......

I would get a jammer if i were you. It'll allow you to take advantage of the bikes power better than cork.

Breece McConnell /

Yeah, I think I'm going to do that. Thanks!

> Brandon Weiss (aka B-Man) Wrote:

> Looks like a Gila? Sweet.......

nope, polini

Breece McConnell /

Its actually a tomos targa from 96 I think... If thats what you guys are talking about?

> Its actually a tomos targa from 96 I think... If thats what you guys are

> talking about?

No, we were referring to the type of cylinder/kit is on the bike.

Breece McConnell /

Oh ok gotcha. Im not very well versed in this stuff. The ped has been sitting for a few years because I couldn't afford to fix it but didn't want to let it go (against my wifes pleading). I finally have the time, space, and money to get it going again. My goal is to have it set before the springtime. I need to do brakes, the clutch, shorten the chain, and have a machine shop fix the place where the back left shock mounts to the frame. At some point the threads got fucked. I also need to install the new voltage regulator I have so It doesn't keep popping headlight bulbs the second I hit the throttle.

> Oh ok gotcha. Im not very well versed in this stuff. The ped has been

> sitting for a few years because I couldn't afford to fix it but didn't

> want to let it go (against my wifes pleading). I finally have the time,

> space, and money to get it going again. My goal is to have it set before

> the springtime. I need to do brakes, the clutch, shorten the chain, and

> have a machine shop fix the place where the back left shock mounts to

> the frame. At some point the threads got fucked. I also need to install

> the new voltage regulator I have so It doesn't keep popping headlight

> bulbs the second I hit the throttle.

Is it the lower shock mount? If so, maybe you can just drill out the threads and use a nut on the other side?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

the 96 had the unlimited cdi, and a recalled stator if it malfunctions it fires 4x a rpm.

« Go to Topic — end of thread